49 (39.8%)
Immersion
16 (13%)
Everything Above (easy way-out answer)
30 (24.4%)
Something else
6 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 122

Author Topic: What FH2 is/should be about?  (Read 9486 times)

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
What FH2 is/should be about?
« on: 21-07-2010, 00:07:24 »
It seems that many of us have different concept of what FH2 is or should be. Everyone strive for a different thing and this might the root of many misunderstandings in this forum.

For me it's "something else" and I call that thing 'consistency'. FH2 should strive for movie like feeling of awesome. This is achieved by immersion and smoothness of gameplay (the less things drag you out of immersion the better). The feeling of 'real' warfare dragged me into FH1. I know it wasn't truly 'real' but it felt like it. No over complicated intetaction system reminded me that it's a game. Larning on the battlefield all dos and don'ts was the thing that kept me playing. Easy to learn yet challenging system filled my nerdy life with nights of joy.

I'm not saying that FH2 should be a copy of FH1, far from that. But Fh2 should strive for consistency in it's gameplay backed by smoothnes and immersion. If it feels like WW2 even for history nerds does it really matter that there are a couple of historical inaccuracies (even bigger ones)?

What is your take on the matter?

EDIT:

fun = easy basics, "light" type of gameplay, things that are not over complicated but are juuust right.
« Last Edit: 21-07-2010, 21:07:50 by Kubador »

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
Re: What FH2 is/should be about?
« Reply #1 on: 21-07-2010, 00:07:40 »
Fun, balance, immersion and historical accurancy.
FH1 was amazing, FH2 is the real deal, but FH2 should make wath it make me love FH1. Air map like Bob and  Coral Sea. I love the map with air,infantry and tank, but I'd love to see some specialize map.
« Last Edit: 21-07-2010, 02:07:59 by Alakazou »

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #2 on: 21-07-2010, 00:07:30 »
For me its historical accuracy (which gets my vote), followed by fun (which balance fits into) and immersion.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-07-2010, 00:07:39 »
Immersion, fun and something that was missing "Combined arms teamwork" (meaning Planes help tanks&Inf on the ground, Scout spots for arty, etc)

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-07-2010, 00:07:11 »
Historical accuracy, then fun, then immersion.

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-07-2010, 00:07:32 »
Historical accuracy followed by fun.

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-07-2010, 00:07:05 »
If it isn't fun above everything else, nobody would play it.

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-07-2010, 01:07:52 »
Fun and Immersion. But not to funny like 'Heroes.
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #8 on: 21-07-2010, 01:07:39 »
Well imo the mod is going the right way :)

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21-07-2010, 01:07:26 »
I lol'd at "Bob of Coral Sea" ;P

I put historical accuracy first because I like it when a map isnt just a fun scenario, but actually represents and pays homage to a battle or operation that occurred in real life. I guess I like the idea of playing through a detailed history book.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21-07-2010, 02:07:35 »
Historical accuracy, then fun (goes with balance), then immersion.

Offline Lonewolf051

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21-07-2010, 02:07:41 »
Historical accuracy + Immersion = FUN FUN FUN!!!!! ;D

I mean a few "unavoidable" inaccuracies are perfectly fine, like being able to shoot someone with an M1 Carbine at close or medium range and have him live as opposed to the results of being shot with a real .30 Carbine round, which would leave a basketball sized cavity in you resulting is a gruesome instant death, (But thats actually a balance factor, not an unavoidable inaccuracy) being shot with a Carbine's .30 carbine hollow point round would kill you instantly up to 100 yards.

Or the game engine limitations being 1 reload annimation per weapon, resulting in the Garand being designed to only reload after the clip is expended, its historically incorrect of course, in reality the M1 is VERY easy to reload mid-clip, but its a game engine limitation (unavoidable).
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ, and the American soldier, one died for your soul, and the other, for your freedom" - Col. Grant L. Rosensteel Jr. USAF

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #12 on: 21-07-2010, 02:07:52 »
I mean a few "unavoidable" inaccuracies are perfectly fine, like being able to shoot someone with an M1 Carbine at close or medium range and have him live as opposed to the results of being shot with a real .30 Carbine round, which would leave a basketball sized cavity in you resulting is a gruesome instant death, (But thats actually a balance factor, not an unavoidable inaccuracy) being shot with a Carbine's .30 carbine hollow point round would kill you instantly up to 100 yards.
No hollow point ammunition was used because it was against the Hague Convention which meant that all military bullets had to be full metal jacket and solid (even shotgun pellets).  .30 Carbine was weak.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21-07-2010, 02:07:57 »
inmersion , historical accuracy  and balance , in that order .

FH1 made me feel i am at war , FH2 make me feel im playing war  xD. I still cant find what it is , but i always felt the inmertion in FH1 , been in the skin of the soldier , etc,etc. i dont feel that anymore with FH2 .

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21-07-2010, 02:07:43 »
I lol'd at "Bob of Coral Sea" ;P

I put historical accuracy first because I like it when a map isnt just a fun scenario, but actually represents and pays homage to a battle or operation that occurred in real life. I guess I like the idea of playing through a detailed history book.
I was tired, I didnt see it,  :P