Author Topic: The current hardware generation  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
The current hardware generation
« on: 04-05-2012, 03:05:07 »
I am going to soon build a new desktop to replace my aging dual core configuration. I am a little out of date with my knowledge of the current hardware market and would like to start a discussion. Any who want to chime in or ask questions feel free. With Ivy bridge released recently, I am thinking of adopting the new socket and mobo, although they seem to be having heating issues so I hope I make out alright. Then there's the world of video cards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5YWBCkqVf0

I came.

When did video cards get that cool. Mine still has a copper and plastic heatsink and a PCI express connection. : (

Also, Im thinking red LEDs this time around. >_>

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: The current hardware generation
« Reply #1 on: 04-05-2012, 03:05:35 »
GTX 690 was previewed today, get one for the shits n giggles

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Flyboy1942

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-05-2012, 05:05:42 »
The question is, how many British smoke grenades can it deploy on screen at once?

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-05-2012, 12:05:26 »
The question is, how many British smoke grenades can it deploy on screen at once?

Probably less than good old 8800 / 9800 GTX... seriously new cards are for the most part horrible in running older games...  :P
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Flyboy1942

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-05-2012, 14:05:51 »
Seriously? There's not any optimization that can be done to the card like downloading an older Directx version or something? I find that disheartening. Unless maybe it has to do with the massively parallel GPUs that older games cant really make good use of?

I think the onboard intel graphics in the latest CPUs might be able to play FH1.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-05-2012, 15:05:06 »
I have been drooling over this magnificent bastard:
http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/G75VW-T1031V

17,3" Full HD screen
Intel Core i7-3610QM (Ivy bridge)
NVIDIA GTX 670M, 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
8192MB DDR3 1600MHz

And before someone starts bitching, I can carry this one around, unlike 20 kg case + 24" monitor + keyboard.

Seriously? There's not any optimization that can be done to the card like downloading an older Directx version or something? I find that disheartening. Unless maybe it has to do with the massively parallel GPUs that older games cant really make good use of?
You can play older games with new hardware. If you can't, it's most like due software. And that's why there's gog.com where you can buy really old games remastered and optimised for Win 7 etc.
« Last Edit: 04-05-2012, 15:05:51 by Thorondor123 »
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Akersorken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-05-2012, 15:05:39 »
Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD or Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Intel i5 2500k 3.3 GHz or higher i5, 4 cores is enough for gaming atm, put the money on a better graphics card instead of an i7 CPU. Both AMD and Nvidia have good graphic cards, pick as good one as possible from beginning if it's a gaming computer. Read reviews and ask in tech forums, TechSpot forums helped me out a lot recently.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-05-2012, 19:05:51 »
So it appears my GPU (HD5850) is dying - comp bluescreened while playing MWLL and on bootup did not show any image, POST gave me "no display adapter or display not connected" beeps. Well, it could be the mobo, but at the moment, my GPU temp in desktop use is about 50-60 C. Could try dusting off the innards of the comp and see if that helps, but it seems a replacement (not to mention backing up everything while I still can, just in case) is in order.

tl;dr: what's a cost-effective GPU to accompany an i5-650 (dual-core with HT)? AMD7850 would seem to offer moar performance than 5850 for ~20W less power consumption - 7770 does not seem to deliver in anything else except DX11-based games and 7870 is stretching the PSU and might be bottlenecked by the CPU.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-05-2012, 20:05:20 »
So it appears my GPU (HD5850) is dying - comp bluescreened while playing MWLL and on bootup did not show any image, POST gave me "no display adapter or display not connected" beeps. Well, it could be the mobo, but at the moment, my GPU temp in desktop use is about 50-60 C. Could try dusting off the innards of the comp and see if that helps, but it seems a replacement (not to mention backing up everything while I still can, just in case) is in order.

tl;dr: what's a cost-effective GPU to accompany an i5-650 (dual-core with HT)? AMD7850 would seem to offer moar performance than 5850 for ~20W less power consumption - 7770 does not seem to deliver in anything else except DX11-based games and 7870 is stretching the PSU and might be bottlenecked by the CPU.
Sounds like a good buy, want some extra megahertz, take the Sapphire OC version.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

azreal

« Reply #9 on: 13-05-2012, 21:05:18 »
Ivy Bridge has heating issues if you overclock. I just bought the i7 3770k (3.5 GHz) and I'm waiting to but it into my new build.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14-05-2012, 10:05:29 »
Dunno what the stock Intel coolers are like, but if you're worried about heat, it's nothing a decent aftermarket cooler wouldn't solve.

As said, there's not a lot between Red and Green atm, but if you choose Nvidia, go for a 6-series card.

@Kelmola: Maybe your fan died...  :-\

What to replace it with depends...if you're buying new, you don't want to part with your cash and see no improvement, so I'd go for the 7870, esp. if you're able to upgrade the CPU (if needed) on that particular motherboard.

But if you're planning on a full rebuild anytime soon, I'd just go for a second-hand equivalent.

Wanna buy a slighty used 5770?... :)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14-05-2012, 10:05:08 »
Even second-hand, going backwards even temporarily is not an option.

I'm not planning a full-on rebuild, so a CPU upgrade was not in my plans. Hence, 7850 which would offer a reasonable speed increase with the current CPU.

Also, 7870 is just about there where I would start considering upgrading the PSU (uses ~25W more than 5850, while 7850 uses ~20 W less) or if I change PSU then why not the case as well, which would precipitate a new mobo (which would support more than 8GB RAM and faster CPUs), and if it indeed supports faster processors, then go for one etc. and that is the path I'm not ready to take yet.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14-05-2012, 13:05:04 »
I have a GTX 560TI. Seems to work for all my games really

I play FH2 in either XP or 7. I have both OSes as 'Experience' and 'Vienna' respectively  ;D

For motherboard, will there is a range to choose from really. My fav was XFX 'play hard' boards.
EVGA is also good.

Check for compatibility with your RAm though.

For me, when it comes to getting a good gaming PC, don' scrimp on cost is my motto. Better to have it all great, than have something in there which will fail for no reason.

I'm also looking into getting a 25'' screen that can take higher resolution.

Throw in my Creative Fatal1ty XFI soundcard and maybe 7.1 speakers and you're golden.

But the former will suffice.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #13 on: 15-05-2012, 00:05:40 »
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'd like some advice.  I have a netbook with a dead 2.5" SATA harddrive in it (I crushed it under a chair), and I want to buy an SSD to replace it.  Now, I have no idea which the most reliable brands are, so any advice there would be appreciated.  I don't particularly need a large size, something between 30~50GB is fine, and I'd rather not spend through the roof either.  It has to be one that if the netbook turns out to be more bricked than I suspect, will also work well in a desktop.