Author Topic: Using guns in melee and disabling the ability to shoot while riding tanks  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
This is a small two part suggestion I came up with while playing yesterday.

1) Disable the ability to shoot when being a passenger in a tank.

The last patch removed the ability to shoot weapons or do anything than sit still while riding cars and trucks. However, you can still shoot while riding tanks. Yesterday on Ramelle, the enemy Tiger had constantly two guys sitting in the back repairing him constantly. This made destroying the Tiger pretty much impossible.

Of course we could have just shot the guys repairing him but for some reason, at least according to my observations, shooting people who are riding a tank is extremely difficult even though they are sitting perfectly still. The shots don't always seem to register properly. Also, killing people walking behind the tank is easier.

So, either remove the ability to shoot while riding a tank as a passenger or bring the ability back to all vehicles.

2) Using a gun as a melee weapon

I know there has been similar suggestions before but this is a little bit different from the others. I'm not asking to be able to swing my gun quickly against an opponent who rushes around the corner as it is impossible in the engine.

There are some pick-up kits that have no melee weapon at all (mainly sniper kits, the German G43 kit which has only the rifle and grenades) which makes close combat very awkward. I rather stab my enemy rather than shoot them when in close combat and I feel very silly just running around in circles just to reload my rifle and avoid being stabbed by my enemy (happened to me about 3 times yesterday on Goodwood with the G43 kit). So give these kits a melee slot with a simple (well, "simple") animation where you hit the enemy with the butt of your rifle.

Or give them knives, which would be an easier implementation.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Agreed on 1). Now for the record, I support enabling firing small arms from vehicles again. If you are going to remove this ability, an unstable platform such as the tanks hull should be the first to go. Makes no sense to be able to fire from the back of a tank, and not from a jeep, that offers quite a stable platform.

And, as mentioned by Kalkalash, repairing the tank on the move is a serious issue. IMO this is much bigger of a exploit than kubelscrhecking ever was. Firing a bazooka from a willys is technically possible in real life, where as doing repairs to a moving tank is just unthinkable.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
+1. I've always wanted idle animations for those guys on tanks so they wouldn't be able to fire. That and more seats on tanks :P

Offline SoccerSpartan

• View Profile
I agree with 2

PR has this mechanic where with some kits instead of a knife they have melee. It allows you to hit people with the butt of your gun. Should really be implemented

Offline Ajs47951

• 1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g3t l41d
    • View Profile
    • AJS
or we could leave as it is because not being able to shoot from the back of  tanks is just bullshit they did it in WW2

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
or we could leave as it is because not being able to shoot from the back of  tanks is just bullshit they did it in WW2
Why would they have done it in ww2? Makes no sense to sit on top of a tank and fire. In any case, remove it for the sake of the repair exploit. Or bring back the ability to fire from vehicles, so there is some consistency. Right now it seems quite biased toward the tankers -  get the kubelscreckers off my back and at the same time let me be repaired while Im doing 40 km/h

azreal

What does it matter if you kill someone with a knife/bayonet or with the butt of a gun? They're both melee kills...

Offline Musti

• View Profile
I think the problem is there is no knife or any other close combat weapon .
right?
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline EverettWV

• View Profile
Every kit has some form of knife / hand weapon though...

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
agree with both.. Id love to see melee kills with the butt of the rifle.  a melee kill from a knife could be like a 2-3 hit kill where a rifle butt could take six.. id say 2-4 if you smack em in the head.. i would love to see it.
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
I think the problem is there is no knife or any other close combat weapon .
right?
This is what I meant.

Quote from: EverettWV
Every kit has some form of knife / hand weapon though...
German G43 pick-up kit does not. Officer kits are also lacking melee weapons (Are all of them missing them? I think I've seen a few with knives. Am I just imagining?). Of course they have pistols but a pistol is more of a short range weapon than a close combat weapon.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
There is a reason why some kits have no knife. ;)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
They should have the fists?
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
Which is?
Not that it´s highly unrealistic that you can´t defend yourself in very close combat except for shooting your rifle, it also doesn´t make much sense. Is a G43 rifleman too stupid to use the butstock of his rifle or even his fists?
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Before you rage me, ask the mapper.
I just know that there was a reason.
Iirc: Something along the line of it being a penalty for having a semi-auto sniper rifle.
Edit: Yeah actually it is historically proven, that Germans are too stupid to use their hands. ;)
« Last Edit: 02-05-2011, 10:05:18 by DLFReporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off