Author Topic: Forgotten Hope News Update: 7th June 2009: Infanterie Greift An!  (Read 56921 times)

azreal

damn, didn't know these were that far along. Oh well. And liking the new avatar Lighting.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Yeah, I noticed those runes just now as well.  Huh.

I'm talking on IRC with Kev about the camo and uniforms...says he'll put it up for review=/

Offline LtJimmy

• Confirmed FH2 Suggestion Thread Cynic
    • View Profile
:o
maybe they don't want the illegal symbols in germany and SS wasn't one of them.
According to the Strafgesetzbuch ยง 86a the Sig rune as used by the SS is one of the illegal symbols.
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_%C2%A7_86a

EDIT: Cheers VM maybe we'll get some clarification on how something such as this slipped past the dev team.
« Last Edit: 08-06-2009, 05:06:33 by LtJimmy »

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
So what is Lightning's new avatar supposed to be? I know that his last one was either:
a) Lightning fleeing from a lynch mob after a particularly brutal dreamcrush or
b) Lighting pouncing on someone's unsuspecting dream.

But what is this new avatar?
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
  Umm despite all the talk and debate over SS and history I still just jizzed in my pants a bit.  Very nice work.  I really can't even come close to muddy in what is right or wrong with the whole setup but I know it will be made right at a latter point because FH shares my love for anal retentiveness.  Great work you guys.  Wish I had just an 1/8 of your talent.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
So what is Lightning's new avatar supposed to be? I know that his last one was either:
a) Lightning fleeing from a lynch mob after a particularly brutal dreamcrush or
b) Lighting pouncing on someone's unsuspecting dream.

But what is this new avatar?

http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/main.php?module=archives&selectedmonth=7&selectedyear=2006&lang=english

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
nice update! the schreck loader looked cool but too bad we probably won't have it in game   :(

Offline Knoffhoff

• Developer
  • Vorstopper
    • View Profile
Thanks for your offer to help us von mudra. But we don't need it and absolutely know what we are doing.
You realized that any other piece of camo would require a new soldier model, now please do your homework and find out about how much work it is to create one, or rather just learn to create them yourself.
And saying the camo we have is wrong is bullshit. The pattern is absoluely fine. It perfectly shows a dot camo on a heavily worn Drillich uniform wirh daded away colors.
The only thing one can argue about is if such a worn uniform should be done or not.
But that is propably the so called artistic freedom.

cheers

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
I agree with Mudra -- it's the principle of the thing.

Hell if he hadn't said something I probably wouldn't have noticed that the skins are historically incorrect. Now that I know, however, I think they should be changed. FH has always been about dead-on historical accuracy. They've been absolutely true to that point in FH2 thus far, so I have every confidence that if it's wrong, the FH team will change it!

That said, the models at least are fantastic and the presentation of the models is very dramatic! Now bring on the US player models and I'll start getting goosebumps about how close we are to release...

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Knoffhoff

• Developer
  • Vorstopper
    • View Profile
Thanks for your offer to help us von mudra. But we don't need it and absolutely know what we are doing.
You realized that any other piece of camo would require a new soldier model, now please do your homework and find out about how much work it is to create one, or rather just learn to create them yourself.
And saying the camo we have is wrong is bullshit. The pattern is absoluely fine. It perfectly shows a dot camo on a heavily worn Drillich uniform wirh daded away colors.
The only thing one can argue about is if such a worn uniform should be done or not.
But that is propably the so called artistic freedom.

cheers

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Sorry Knoffhoff, you're dead wrong.

Original Dot 44:

The camo that was modeled:

THAT is original Dot 44 camo.  That is combat faded.  It looks NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL like the camo that you have shown in the news update.  Notice that is it not all shades of reddish brown, and taht the dots are neat and orderly, not randomly spread.  I say once again, the camo that has been shown is completly fabricated.  I'm not saying this was done on purpose, but I am saying that someone didn't know what they were doing when they made that texture.

Now, you KNOW I KNOW how much work it takes.  Hell, I could never do this, I lack any artistic skill beyond stick figures.  However I see it as my job as a highly active, and well research member of this community to respectfully point out gross inaccuracy, which is what this is.  You have left out any Heer camo, you have left out camo helmets, foliage on helmets even, and you have created a camo pattern that looks simply like someone saw a few photos of Oak and dot camo, and made it off what he remembered, without bothering to find out what it actually looks like.

As a note, the HELMET covers done for the SS are dead on for fall and spring oak camo.  The one guy with the bent knee and the G43 has the spring Oak helmet cover, which is EXACTLY the camo that all these guys should have.  Hell, why do they even have fall oak camo?  Normandy was in the summer, with green foliage, you'd have to be an idiot to flip your helmet cover to the fall side....

One thing should be remembered here.  I have first hand experience with SS camo patterns.  I have not only seen, I have HELD original SS camo smocks of all the types used.  I know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: 08-06-2009, 06:06:57 by VonMudra »

Offline [CHN]Harrier

• View Profile
Jesus Fxxking Christ! What I can say is "Absolutely Amazing!"  :o

Can't wait for the yankees!

PS: LIGHTNING, thanks for posting news for us at 2:00. :)

Offline LtJimmy

• Confirmed FH2 Suggestion Thread Cynic
    • View Profile
...FH has always been about dead-on historical accuracy. They've been absolutely true to that point in FH2 thus far, so I have every confidence that if it's wrong, the FH team will change it!
Sorry to burst the bubble but...
The exception to this rule however is the L4 Grasshopper currently ingame in North Africa.
To the dev teams credit they acknowledge this and other historical inaccuracies:
I actually suggested doing a Westland Lysander, but since it was considered 'low priority' and we already had the piper from FH1, which was good enough quality for FH2, it was decided to put it in FH2, rather than making a whole new model.

It's unfortunate, but there are more examples of placeholders in FH2, mainly on the early Africa maps, like Siege of Tobruk (should not have a Panzer III J (e)) or Bardia and Siege of Giarabub (should not have ANY German equipment).

As far as I can think of at the moment though, we do not have any placeholders in Normandy.
Reference:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=781.15

And now back to our regularly scheduled program of "2009: A Uniform Odyssey or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Von Mudra"

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Yes, but that's normally on things that are obviously huge undertakings.  IN this case, they were already making the player models.  They just didn't make them accurately.  They ommitted INCREDIBLY important parts of the uniform (Heer camo smocks, SS camo smocks, helmet camo, helmet foiliage), and modeled a camo that still looks completely off (though Kev is telling me in IRC that it actually does look right on the template, and this might just be a shading problem or such...we'll see....)

Offline Cadyshack

• Nanananananananana
    • View Profile
It looks like a bastard child of fall oak camo and dot 44.
Well, Zero might have wanted to mix a few different camo patterns to make one hybrid one since they would only be limited to one pattern without doing ungodly amounts of work that would go largely unnoticed.

Artistic freedom also applies to the artist for obvious reasons.

I'm sure corners have been cut in the past for FH2 (ex. British equipment) and for FH1 (ex. German flamethrower in American kits for Pacific). Also, nobody's perfect.

This is turning into another laffete spree, isn't it? Bah, I'm on the devs' side.

Also: wonder if anyone will steal Lightning's old avatar for kicks.  :P