Author Topic: Is it just me or does the attacking side always lose in s.p.?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline joehanlei

• View Profile
Hey all,
Just discovered this mod and been playing with it quite a bit in the last few days. Everything's awesome. However, one complaint I have is that whenever I'm on the attacking side of a map (where you have to capture all enemy points or you keep losing tickets) It is almost impossible to win.
Now my game was 1.5 (i think?) which I did may have pirated back in the day, and am running 64 bots in total.
On medium difficulty, it starts off well, but soon there seems to be an equilibrium, where even if I work my ass off to capture a point, my team proceeds to be unable to advance any further, or just end up losing the point soon after, and my (attacking) side ends up losing on tickets. It is quite frustrating to always watch defenders win, so I'm just curious is this the way the mod was designed, or could there be anything related to my version of the game that's causing this?

Offline defaultplayer

• View Profile
I know what you mean and found a great tip on this forums that I'd like to share with you:
Just start a local co-op match instead of regular singleplayer. There you can choose the Bot Ratio to your needs. Whenever I play singleplayer I give the attackers more bots, for example Attackers:36 Defenders:28, and in most cases I get good matches like that where the attackers actually move forward in the map. So, go to:
Multiplayer -> Create LAN server (you don't need internet connection or anything)-> Gamemode:Coop
And above that you can see a lot of options, including Bot Ratio.

Offline Oberst_Kroenen

• View Profile
I too play co-op and almost always win - attacking or defending. Co-op gives you some options to customize the battle including the ticket ratio.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Singleplayer is not even being developed, all maps are designed and balanced with online play in mind.

Offline joehanlei

• View Profile
Multiplayer -> Create LAN server (you don't need internet connection or anything)-> Gamemode:Coop
And above that you can see a lot of options, including Bot Ratio.

Hey thanks for the tip man. However I'm having this issue where when I manipulate the bot ratio I can only go from "all on my side" to "50% on my side". How can I change it for maps where the attackers are on the other side when the game starts? e.g. for mount Olympus, the NZ side is defending but they are on the left by default, so when I want to play German as attackers I can't figure out a way to have more player/bots on my side.

Offline VolkssturmGewehr

• View Profile
[Removed]
« Reply #5 on: 29-04-2019, 22:04:19 »
[Removed]
« Last Edit: 05-06-2022, 05:06:19 by VolkssturmGewehr »

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Hi there VolkssturmGewehr ....  8)

Can you help me learn the navmeshing ? (PM me).

FH2 has a bigger co-op playerbase than you'd think. (Look at the view count on the threads in the SP/Co-Op forum.)

Yes. Yet there has always been this attitude problem floating around against coop/bot/ai/solo whatever you want to call them players. It's one of the reasons we lost Djinn, Mr. AI enthusiastic cheer leader himself. He dogged me for literally -swear word- years about making a smoke grenade that blocks bot vision. When someone finally put it together and I tested it in game he was no longer around. No news releases on the front page promising improved bot action for coop players (yes, I know the devs have to focus on the MP end of things of course they do). No news releaases highlighting the hard work of FH fans doing unofficial conversions (not that they would want a news release /i cannot speak for them). Now the BFSP forum has discovered how to replicate fire suppression against the AI ! You'd think this would be cause for rejoicing and all round merry making in this forum section. That and the smoke grenade is at the very least an impressive feature for training against bots before going into full blown online human only games (that's the attitude of Project Reality who regard Solo/Coop as a training mode). But so far I'm still feeling that as a Solo FH player I have to stay quiet and stay in the background while MP players get all the "glory". I would always support online MP FH fan's as I can only imagine that the game becomes even more amazing there (there are various reasons I can't play in human only MP games that I won't go into here, but one reason is I sometimes need to pause the game).

I find co-op to be incredibly fun especially the maps I have customized to be more bot/co-op friendly.

Same here. From day 1 FH always had an effect on me that no other game has. The FH "magic".

One of the things I find difficult when fighting bots is their reaction time. They can shoot accurately from the hip, thus in the time it takes a human player to raise iron sights, the bot can already be firing.

You'd think no one has ever seen The Matrix films. Sometimes you have to have the reaction times and bullet dodging skills of Neo.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
But so far I'm still feeling that as a Solo FH player I have to stay quiet and stay in the background while MP players get all the "glory".
I think SP and MP should not look down upon each other, just like tourney and public play guys shouldn't. It's OK if you like one better tha the other, or if you have reasons to play one and not the toher, like yourself, but the misdemeanor is unnecessary.

I think the whole "SP is dumb, come and play MP" attitude is at least partially explained by a bit of frustration that there is usually one server filled with players and if that server lags, crashes or has toxic players ruining the game on it, then the evening is lost. While back in the day there would be 3-4 servers to choose from and you could easily hop from one onto the other, even if you just didn't like the map that was playing.

The thought that if all SP guys would join MP would make those days return, is one that could cause the strife. I'm not saying this to justify the attitude, but maybe it helps explaining it a bit.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
I don't want to turn this into a "singleplayer needs love thread" we can start a new one if we want that; BUT I will say that a large roadblock in the developers not giving any love to singleplayer as of late has to do with the fact that we have no Navmesher. There is one dev, aserafimov, who understands how to do singleplayer and also Navmesh his maps, and he isn't always available/ is working on making new maps.

If we had someone who could Navmesh all of the new and existing maps that need it, it would certainly incentive people to develop singleplayer more.

Offline tempest

• View Profile
I'll echo that Ramelle is a good one to start with, and find a bot number that you find challenging to the point where you'll probably lose most of the time, but occasionally win. Ramelle is good because the AI isn't as easily able to circumvent you and counterattack elsewhere; they'll most likely run right into you and it'll be you and your AI support, as it should be.

Tunis is also a solid choice, as is Purple Heart Lane, although you'll have a bit more trouble closing that one down.  If you're looking for more vehicle-heavy combat, I actually quite like attacking on Totalize.  It's just about finding the right ratios; I generally play with 100 bots, and go about 50-50 attacking, and 75-25 defending.