Author Topic: Forgotten Hope 2: State of the Game  (Read 28853 times)

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope 2: State of the Game
« Reply #30 on: 03-01-2018, 18:01:25 »
Battlefield 2 HD Remaster 3.0 is also standalone.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-hd-remastered-3

I haven't tried installing FH2 on it, but other mods works for me.

Apparently it only works with HD servers, so im going to say no it wont work with FH2, but i would love to be proved wrong  ;)

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19-01-2018, 19:01:01 »
Battlefield 2 HD Remaster 3.0 is also standalone.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-hd-remastered-3

I haven't tried installing FH2 on it, but other mods works for me.

Apparently it only works with HD servers, so im going to say no it wont work with FH2, but i would love to be proved wrong  ;)

I've tried it, and it doesn't work.

Offline Sgt.Robharts

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19-01-2018, 20:01:00 »
VolkssturmGewehr, you seem a good guy really. A real man with background of history, it's what brought me to FH2 too. For me, it was the real map recreation and the variety of theaters and of course the realistic approach of the mod.

One big problem for this mod... It's surviving its time.

And by that, the fact that the number of players is low (in compare to more successful games with filled servers at any time, any day) leads the mod to have only one public server and I really feel this is a problem. I get so upset by the spawnkilling allowed and so on... It's not good at all. I understand that admins would have to enforce the rules more than playing but this gets really quickly as a downside for me.

Also, the fact that veterans players as called earlier kills the spirit of the maps. Every SL with good knowledge of the terrain will sneak, using fast Jeep, outflanking and having the rest of the squad spawning once the hideout reached... Or I even seen a SL taking a Piper to land behind enemy lines and then the rest of the squad spawned, blitzkrieged us... Fun killing....

I feel if I could ask for a solution or change of gameplay is to remove the SL mobile spawn point and only use like static spawnpoints, or Mobile spawnpoints in vehicles like half-tracks. But no more green spawnpoints. This kills the immersions and the way of playing the maps.

Offline justasug

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20-01-2018, 09:01:33 »
I get so upset by the spawnkilling allowed and so on... It's not good at all. I understand that admins would have to enforce the rules more than playing but this gets really quickly as a downside for me.

Attacking crossed out flags is a waste of time and resources. I have seen plenty of rounds where a team spends all their time waiting around a crossed out flag and losing the round because no one attacked the important flags.
If by "spawnkilling" you mean being killed upon spawning at a green flag, then your complaint is ridiculous. Your objective is to capture flags. So what do you want someone to do if an enemy spawns in front of them while they're capturing a flag? Just ignore them, give them some time to settle and perhaps kill them then? There's a simple way to avoid getting spawnkilled: spawn on one of the flags behind. Also, all the good maps have spawns outside of a flag zone which prevents such behaviour.

Personally, I find even the "don't attack uncaps" rules unnecessary. Those bases have static weapons for defense and if your team gets pushed so far back and dominated that you can't even leave your base, it deserves to lose the round.

Also, the fact that veterans players as called earlier kills the spirit of the maps. Every SL with good knowledge of the terrain will sneak, using fast Jeep, outflanking and having the rest of the squad spawning once the hideout reached... Or I even seen a SL taking a Piper to land behind enemy lines and then the rest of the squad spawned, blitzkrieged us... Fun killing....
So you want to punish players for gaining experience?
Again, a normal response to your complaints would be gaining experience yourself and countering those "fast jeeps" with an MG or AT weapon where you expect them. Just like above, you want to remove a small part of the emerging gameplay, making the game simpler.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20-01-2018, 13:01:34 »
It can be frustrating indeed, but I can't see anything wrong in using your knowledge of the map to outflank and outsmart your enemy. As far as I know, those fast vehicles are extremely rare on most of the FH2 stock maps, sometimes they're not available at all. Keep in mind that they don't have any armour too, and that means killing the driver/pilot and passangers or destryoing the vehicle is rather easy with  just a little bit of skill. If you let a truck full of enemy soldier pass through your lines on the other hand, it means that you and your team simply suck.

I understand your complaint, but it sounds a little bit like a typical "noob cry", it would be much more helpful if you could list the maps you find these behaviours especially annoying on, and post about it in the feedback section of the forum. Maybe something, like further limiting jeeps etc, can be done about it in the future releases. Do not expect removal of SL spawnpoints though, as that topic was already discussed to death.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20-01-2018, 19:01:15 »
Do not expect removal of SL spawnpoints though, as that topic was already discussed to death.
When did that happen?  I curious what the arguments for keeping SL spawn were.

The current Rally Point system works way better and most pubbies are now familiar with it.  No more SL hiding. No more SL switching.  No more "Move moron!!! Can't spawn!!!", etc.  Maybe CMP can turn it off on some of their maps and add RPs.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20-01-2018, 20:01:17 »
Starting to feel old, because apparently I am the only one who remembers how sl spawn was switched off on Anctoville and replaced by spawn halftracks back in 2.25. God that sucked.
Anyway, regarding SL spawn and Rally points, the thing is this: RPs (and spawn vehicles) solve some problems and cause others.
The main advantage is that the SL does not have "the weight of the world" on his shoulders and doesn't have to stay alive at all cost. This also eliminates the stupid SL roulette that popped up in the meta a few years ago (believe me, people didn't always do that shit).
However, it does little to fix SLs hiding, instead of looking for some camping SL you are looking for some stupid box. At least when hunting an SL there is some actual player interaction, since you have to fight him, instead of knifing some radio. A spawn vehicle or rally point is also much more easily camped. Sure, they can be deactivated when enemies are close, but I can already see Sturmflim laying down with his MG 40 m away and just waiting for people to pop up. Way harder to do with a squad leader who might shoot you. This is already happening on the pacific maps, where people just camp the landing boats and people spawn in because there is no indication of if they are safe or not.
Lastly, the SL spawn has the advantage of being more "idiot-proof", which is important since the average community member has an IQ close to room temperature. Instead of complaining "MOVE!!" People will complain about squad members not staying close so they can't put down a rally point.
So all in all, the advantages are not big enough to justify completely changing a system at this late point. Really, the ideal solution would be having sls be able to spawn on each squad member, but that is impossible.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20-01-2018, 21:01:36 »
I think this question might be worth a poll.

The current RP system used in the tournament allows the SL to place an RP by himself.  It last only 2 minutes whereas one place by 2 squad members last 10 minutes.  There is even a convenient button on the com rose.  The problem of SL hiding is the need for SLs to avoid action which sucks for him and sucks for the squad members when he doesn't do it.  As for hunting these spawn options, at least you know you killed the right box and the current system allows you to hear it from meters away.  RP camping is preferable to spawnpoint camping.  It can more easily be dealt with and if it gives these sociopaths an alternative then even better.

Let's just face it, there is something weird about the whole giving birth during battle thing.  When the SL is prone it's just awkward for everyone involved even onlookers.  I think I screamed HACK!!! in all chat when I first observed it.  I definitely shot the first guy who spawn on me.  Do any other games use it?  I dont want to seem close minded but I'd rather spawn next to a radio than on top of a guy's butt.

If RPs were included in the next FH2 patch the server could probably turn it on or off when they want to.
« Last Edit: 20-01-2018, 22:01:08 by GeoPat »

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20-01-2018, 23:01:46 »
Do any other games use it? 

RO2/RS1 has squadleader spawn much like FH2, and the community seems to be fine with it. Sure, you sometimes get spawnkilled, but you can always choose to spawn in a standard (fixed) spawnpoint. Unlike FH2, IIRC the deathcam shows your SL by deafult, meaning that you have more information to help you decide wether spawning on the SL is worth the risk or not.

Additionally, you can also spawn in APCs and in certain fixed MGs, but that is far rarer and map-dependant.

In RS2 there are both systems present: USA/Australia have squadleader spawn, while VC/NVA have tunnel spawn (anlogous to the RP, but of course much closer to BF:VN's squad tunnels). Having played ~40h of that game, I have to say that SL spawn is better, just because it is more foolproof. Both systems can be camped, but SL spawn just requires the SL to be alive in order for it to work. Far to many times I've played rounds as VC/PAVN and no one would be bothered to place the tunnels, or placed them at useless or horribly exposed positions.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20-01-2018, 23:01:37 »
Many of the Battlefield/Battlefront games post-1942 also have some form of spawning on top of squad members.

The problem of SL hiding is the need for SLs to avoid action which sucks for him and sucks for the squad members when he doesn't do it.
I don't usually play SL for this reason, but at the same time there are usually more SLs than populated squads so clearly people are okay with it. If you aren't okay with staying away from the front lines then don't play as an officer.

This also eliminates the stupid SL roulette that popped up in the meta a few years ago (believe me, people didn't always do that shit).
Curious, is there any way to prevent this by say, preventing you from spawning on an SL for a minute or so after the SL has changed? I don't understand why people have started doing this in the first place. It's pretty impractical since the new SL almost never survives either (if you even get a new SL rather than having it get passed to a dead player who doesn't notice a game of pass-the-SL has started), and it completely disorganizes the squad for the next push, usually ending up with a inexperienced player being SL.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20-01-2018, 23:01:45 »
In RS2 there are both systems present: USA/Australia have squadleader spawn, while VC/NVA have tunnel spawn (anlogous to the RP, but of course much closer to BF:VN's squad tunnels). Having played ~40h of that game, I have to say that SL spawn is better, just because it is more foolproof. Both systems can be camped, but SL spawn just requires the SL to be alive in order for it to work. Far to many times I've played rounds as VC/PAVN and no one would be bothered to place the tunnels, or placed them at useless or horribly exposed positions.

I agree with this. I have over 100 hours in RS2 and I personally find less problems with the SLer spawn. Mainly because your average pub player is not very observant and if he doesn't place a tunnel it can be VERY frustrating.

However, a big thing about RS2 is that it's a newer game and it is able to prevent exploits. For example, you can't spawn on a SLer if he became a SLer while he was alive. i.e. no SLer roulette. You also have the ability to view your spawn before spawning, so you can see if you'll be spawn killed.

Also, if you want to discuss this, it's probably best in its own thread. I didn't want this to become a 'general gripes with FH2' thread.
« Last Edit: 20-01-2018, 23:01:03 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20-01-2018, 23:01:24 »
I dont want to seem close minded but I'd rather spawn next to a radio than on top of a guy's butt.
Now you're just being homophobic ;)

On a serious note: like posted above, it has been experimented with and it didn't work. Yes, "giving birth" is awkward, so is whiggling a wrench and repairing a 30 ton tank in under a minute. But it's a game mechanic which works.

As for the SL not being active: there are certain maps in which I ike being SL (hint: they are the more close quarteer maps), and in others I'd rather not because I will die too often: that's just my playstyle (wearing "Most Deaths" proudly very often). But even if you don't shoot your gun you can participate and be very useful: spot for arty, spot tanks, heal teammates, smoke off a route, cap points.

It'd be nice to see the roulette thing go: the disadvantage (an uncohesive and often incomplete squad) far outweighs the advantage (a new SL close to the front).