Author Topic: Bugged hit detection  (Read 635 times)

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
Bugged hit detection
« on: 05-03-2012, 13:03:28 »
At last I decided to write about it.... Everybody claim that it's normal, nothing special, but it's not... Hit detection in 2.4. seems to be very bugged - examples:
- panzerfaust to rear of Sherman doesnt make any damage or does a little... what's more, once i had to use 3 panzerfaust to take out funny Sherman II from side...  ::)
- German tanks are underpowered in NA because of this - its impossible to shoot with 1 shot Sherman II or Crusader III with Panzer IV F2, where every German tank can be shot frontally with 1 shot by these tanks...
-often when I shoot to a guy, there appears only blood, but not hit indicator - WTF??

I liked 2.3. more because it wasn't so bugged...

Edit: Oh, and I forgot about allmighty Cromwell which can stand 88 rounds....
« Last Edit: 05-03-2012, 13:03:15 by Kwiot »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Bugged hit detection
« Reply #1 on: 05-03-2012, 13:03:48 »
I think the tanks deflecting shots is because of the angle system which is still WIP.

But yeah I seem to have random intervals where my shots just doesn't seem to damage other infantrymen, I think it's normal Refractor engine behaviour as BFH has the same problems lately.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-03-2012, 14:03:09 »
I also reported to the devs, that the hit detection is somehow more bugged in FH2.4 than it was in the previous version 2.3. Don't know, whether they are looking into this problems though. For me it is very important and one thing, the players on the servers are complaining about very often. Especialy alot of bullets from the hendheld weapons (rifles, smg's) hit the target but don't count. This isn't a problem of the BF2 engine, it is a problem of the current state of FH2. In other BF2 mods and in BF2v I don't have these annoying hit bugs up to this extent.

The tank system especialy the angle mod is reworked and tweaked IIRC. The PIV F2 actualy penetrates the Crusader from the front - it doesn't bounce off - but the damage detection is somehow bugged and I need 2 or 3 shots from the front. The Crusader isn't a heavy tank, but on the NA maps it feels like this. The special ammo of the PIII is useless and doesn't make noticible damage on the Sherman from the side or rear - also in a perfect angle. I have to stick my gun in the ass of a Sherman to make real damage and this feels odd especialy with the PIV F2. Crusader on the other hand penetrates AND! kills the PIV F2 with ease from various ranges. Aberdeen is senseless to play, because you can't use the special ammo of the PIII. Normal rounds can penetrate a Grant from the front - the PzG40 can't. So I don't know what these rounds are ueful ingame.

On the other hand the allied tanks on the Normandy maps could use some tweaks especialy the Jumbo. It is quiet useless as it is now. It simply gets oneshot from the front by several tanks - the Panther can somehow kill it with a shot at the tracks from the front. And please don't tell me now, that the tracks aren't hitzones. Infact you can kill a tank from the front by hitting the tracks. StuG IV on St. Lo is a good example. Panther gets shot like this also in some situations.

The Cromwell has the bug, that the 88' rounds from the Tiger bounce off in alot of situations. Other german tanks have no problems though, what seems to be a bit strange. APC's and smaller vehicles like the Kettengrad can eat AP rounds with ease. AP rounds bounce off from the tractor for example.

Devs, please take look at these problems, since these are the basic for an enjoyable experience. But sometimes I am near to rage quit with these problems - and my internet connection is very good.  :-\

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-03-2012, 14:03:37 »
Handheld weapons indeed seem to have a lot of problems to detect hits. I often have problems with killing enemy and just about as often I notice I'm being shot at because I see blood splatter coming out of my own face! Also hearing that "thump" sound, as my body takes hit, without damaging me, seems to happen very often.

For some reason, faster the rate of fire, more the guns fails.

What comes to tanks, I think the current system works like charm. Small random factor is nice imo.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-03-2012, 15:03:15 »
Some random rounds bouncing off in tank combat isn't the big deal. But a Kettengrad or APC rejecting an AP round is just unlogical and not fitting into a mod, that tries to represent historical accuracy. Same goes for the Marder on the Normandy maps, that seems to be a heavy armoured tank and not a weak protected tank destroyer. Same goes for a situation when you are head to head in a Wespe to a M10 and it penetrates but doesn't kill you. This isn't just random - it makes no sense at all.  ::)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #5 on: 05-03-2012, 17:03:21 »
For some reason, faster the rate of fire, more the guns fails.
Because recoil and dispersion values are randomised and calculated by the server, your client will predict the values so you can see the recoil happen and see bullet impacts instantly, and will then correct its prediction when the actual values come back from the server.  With high rates of fire, 2 or even 3 subsequent values may have to be predicted before the real value for the first comes back.  Combine with high ping for extra shenanigans.

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-03-2012, 17:03:02 »
So basically the server is too slow to understand when the bullet hits?

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-03-2012, 17:03:46 »
Well, it would make sense, but what if such player stands in 1 place - he doesnt move? I had once situation that I shot once to enemy back and only bloo0d appeared... But maybe it's a server issue?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-03-2012, 18:03:17 »
It is not a server issue. And it has nothing to do with crappy BF2 hit boxes. These hit bugs also occur when the target isn't actual in movement and when I take some time to aim. A guy running in front of you in a straight line and you shooting him in the back without a registered hit is not caused by the server and a sign for a different root for the problem. It is the hit detection of the player models or what ever that causes these issues. I can repeat it hundred times. Such things didn't exist in the times of 2.3, atleast not in this amount and the servers haven't changed. Maybe FH2.4 is simply stressing the servers too much and alot of information gets lost. But it can't be the solution to leave it as it is now, because the game gets quiet often into a matter of luck and not of skill.