Author Topic: Hearts of Iron  (Read 25599 times)

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron
« Reply #45 on: 23-04-2010, 00:04:04 »
Lol!
I just yesterday repelled an Italian invasion with Yugoslavia!
I laughed even more when I managed to capture Venice  ;D

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23-04-2010, 04:04:02 »
never got my head around how to play the damn thing.  The tutorial made it worse.

I got HoI3 and liked the tutorial and its references, but then I couldn't get any idea what to do. I attempted to drag n drop some units on mexico I think but I never really played more than 30 minutes of trying to figure things out

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #47 on: 16-09-2011, 22:09:11 »
Forwards, thread, forwards! I know you haven't been used for over 400 days but that's not an excuse.

Anyways.. I finally understand Hearts of Iron! Hurray, big applause for me!

I'm sick at the moment but when I feel better I want to start a very detailed game as Germany with Dies Irae Gotterdämmerung. Hearts of Iron III that is, Semper Fi, For the Motherlands, etc. No mods yet. That will come, don't worry, Mudra  :P

Here comes a question.. Supplies. Whenever I start an offensive away from my own nations, my troops run out of supplies. Mudra already told me to stack up some infrastructure but what if you are out over the sea. Like Germany going from Italy to Africa. What's a good way? Control ports and wait?
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 16-09-2011, 22:09:14 »
I thought the game automatically got some transports to carry supplies, but maybe if you try with a transport flotilla in a port...? Don't know...
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 16-09-2011, 22:09:25 »
Haven't tried it yet, will do a test game whether just ports are enough or if I have to put transport planes in airfields.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 16-09-2011, 23:09:28 »
HoI3 supplies system is a real bitch when you play Japan. I have to beat the Chinese with under-supplied troops which is virtually impossible. All infrastructure looks good etc. but the stupid convoy system brings not enough supplies >:(. On the bright side I really like the HQ system although I have to give it some help from time to time.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 17-09-2011, 00:09:28 »
Only played vanilla HoI 3. Supply system sucks totally. My recommendation: Put officers with Supply-Wizard abbilities onto the Theatre- and Army HQs.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 17-09-2011, 01:09:05 »
HoI3<33333333333333333333333333333333

In my current game as Brazil, I have conquered all of south America except Chile. Venezuela and Peru are my puppets. I early went for an invasion of the New Zealand to make a strong base for the Pacific theatre. I then DoW'ed Australia and made them my puppets. Then I saw Japan struggling with Nationalist China and Changxi Clique, so I DoW'ed them and annexed BOTH of them. Japan got 1/3 of Nationalist China, while I got the rest. When Danzig or war event happened, Germany eventually called me to arms. I accepted abit too early, but I invaded India and took it from the Brits. My convoys were getting so HEAVILY raped by the Royal Fleet (I neglected fleet and only focused on ground and abit on air) I swear, once every second or third hour I lost a convoy ship. In that period I think I built around 500 convoy ships. I had around 10 divisions of Marine infantry who I went from island to island in the Pacific and around South and Central America to clear the British stronghold out.

I then sailed my first army group to Normandy when the Germans had annexed France. I waited for the brits to land their troops, and so they did. They lost it all, because though Germany was at war with SU, they had 1/3 of the army stationed around the channel and Netherlands. Britain freaking landed in Antwerpen. I think around 200 000 Brits landed there and they all got crushed. It was like the biggest fail ever. So Britain was undefended, so I just landed my five armies Near dover and London and just blitzed the hell out of them, and I took Britain by three weeks. No more allies, only fascism and communism...

Now, it is soon time for the Japanese to attack USA (Im in mid 41), which I do not wish to be apart of yet. I need more men first. I can show you some screenies of this scenario if you guys like :)

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 17-09-2011, 10:09:41 »
@ fuchs:
I haven't played semper fi and for the motherland yet but in vanilla hoiIII you need to take a lot of ports to supply your troops overseas. Every port has a limited suppy througput. You can check it out by going into supply mapmode and clicking on the province with the port. A level ten port can supply about 5-10 infantry divisions depending on which brigades you have. Tanks, mechanised and motorized brigades use much more supplies so whatch out when you invade the USA with your super heavy tank division army  ::).

I really like the supply system, because in HOI II it was very easy to invade the USA or in general, launch a succesful naval invasion against an strong enemy. Now it is quite hard and it takes a lot of time, because you have to build the ports to supply your troops. I only was able to take the USA by invading mexico where I build up a good supply base. Landing on the eastcoast is very hard because you will get rushed by thousands of tank divisions, which you have to fight with the handfull of troops you can supply with  the few ports you have there. If you have the necessary IC, you can try to build transport planes to help the conoys with the supply job. But I only did this when I played italy and I am not sure how good it works.

@Hjaldgrud:
My last game was with brazil too. At which difficulty level did you play? I played on middle and I did not take so much ground. Did you not get a DOW from USA by waging war in south america? From whom did you buy your resources?

In my game I joined the allies so USA would not DOW me and I could buy my stuff from them. I just invaded the fascist nations in  southamerica and helped with the defence of france which finaly led to the fall of germany. After that I lost the savegame but the plan was to invade japan. And than the SU  ;D

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 17-09-2011, 15:09:29 »
HoI 3 has awesome graphics and things like that but...
It's quite hard to understand it to the fullest. It has taken me several months and their 96 page manual to know how to play HoI 2 PROPERLY (HoI 2 is the best HoI IMO).
Maybe I'll give it a new try soon but it's really time consuming to learn these kind of games

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 17-09-2011, 16:09:43 »

@Hjaldgrud:
My last game was with brazil too. At which difficulty level did you play? I played on middle and I did not take so much ground. Did you not get a DOW from USA by waging war in south america? From whom did you buy your resources?

I did some tweaking. Like giving Vargas the admistrative genious perk (+10% IC) as Head of Government instead of the -5% he had. I also tweaked more starting technologies. And for USA not DoWing me, I changed the guarantees, so that USA did not guarantee anyone their independence except Chile. USA makes guarantees anyway (USA started guaranteeing independence for EVERY single independent island in the caribiean when I had annexed my neighbours), and it sucks to start with neighbours that are guaranteed by a 100x larger nation than you.

Did I destroy some of the realism? Yup. Did it make the game double the fun? Hell yeah!

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 17-09-2011, 18:09:30 »
Many thanks for the help, will be very useful when the Panzers are rolling through Africa!

Now I'm still doing small tests but I think I will start tomorrow on my grand semi-realistic Germanic crusade. I want to do all the invasions planned by Germany and I want to create Europe the way they wanted to.
Maybe it will turn out more realistic than I want to with Soviet hordes at the Brandenburger Tor.  ;D

Anyways, post-war Nazi Europe. Would it consist of puppet states surrounding Greater Germany and her lebensraum?

After the war would have ended I assume they set up actual regimes. Is there actually any solid info on this? Tried searching, no real results.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18-09-2011, 00:09:14 »
Real men play 1944 Scenario as German!

In two Months In Game, i found myself fighting in Berlin for survival!

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 18-09-2011, 01:09:44 »
Many thanks for the help, will be very useful when the Panzers are rolling through Africa!

Now I'm still doing small tests but I think I will start tomorrow on my grand semi-realistic Germanic crusade. I want to do all the invasions planned by Germany and I want to create Europe the way they wanted to.
Maybe it will turn out more realistic than I want to with Soviet hordes at the Brandenburger Tor.  ;D

Do submarines! Put them together in fleets of 3 or 4 ships. Put one fleet on every sea area between Greenland and Portugal, letting them do convoy raids. You can do that with less than 15 submarines. Once the kill messages for enemy convoys stop, you killed all british transports. Every time they build another 5 transports, the kill messages will start again.

Also did that when I played Italy. Germany did not invade Britain, thus I had to lock Britain from supplies. I did not even build extra submarines but took the ones I had. American ASW Mission came occasionally from '43 or '44 onwards. The successiveness of my submarines was shown once I had to withdraw one of my submarine fleets for repairs. The heavy bombers on the British Isles got supplies and started to bomb various targets in italy. Turned out that it was much more efficcient (economy-wise) to destroy the convoys in the Atlantic Ocean than fighting the bombers in italian airspace with interceptors. Interceptors are expensive to maintain.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 18-09-2011, 02:09:17 »
Cheers Dukat, will come in helpful. Was already in doubt of what to do with them. Also pumped up the destroyer, capital and carrier researches. Want to do a low/medium recruitment of those with a high standard. Carriers are almost up to date. Wonder how much it would take to tackle most of the British fleet. Hope Japan joins the Axis and keeps them busy in the Pacific  :P

Started the campaign. Already on my way to Fall Weiß. Decided to do a little gamble and produced 15 of these divisions: Infantry, Infantry, Towed FlaK 88, Artillery. And yes, I'm playing Dies Irae Gotterdämmerung. I figured the infantry could do most of the work while the 88's will act as both AT and AA and meanwhile the artillery will play her beautiful role of queen of the battlefield. Wonder if it works that way.. Anyways, divisions do have 8,000 strength with that. Good enough for me  ;D

Questions:
1. Anyone know what the post-war German plans where? Many puppet states while having lebensraum in the west?
2. How do you unlock the 5-regiments-in-one-division?