Author Topic: Forgotten Hope 2 on Steam's version of BF2  (Read 12128 times)

Offline wak1zashi

• View Profile
Forgotten Hope 2 on Steam's version of BF2
« on: 07-10-2009, 04:10:59 »
Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem that's probably new, given that Steam just put BF2 up today. I'm trying to run FH2 through the Steam version of BF2 and I'm having no luck so far. Every time I try to open FH2.exe, I get the error page about custom shaders and how I need to execute the mod through FH2.exe, which is frustrating because that's exactly what I'm opening to get that error message.

Is there anyway around this?

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and have all my administrator rights granted if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope 2 on Steam's version of BF2
« Reply #1 on: 07-10-2009, 08:10:56 »
You have to check the help on running mods with the downloaded version of BF2.
There you will read that you have to replace the BF2.exe with a version from the DVD BF2.exe.
Or do this:
First I created a couple of folders that was missing because of the EASTORE downloadable version of BF2 Complete Edition.

Folders named "cache", "cache-fh2" & "mods" should be created under documents/battlefield 2/

Under documents/battlefield 2/mods/
create a shortcut named bf2 and point it at your eagames/battlefield 2/mods/bf2 directory
create a shortcut named fh2 and point it at your eagames/battlefield 2/mods/fh2 directory

add +restart at the end of the command line to the fh2 shortcut on your desktop

I dont know if the following is necessary but for me running Vista maybe it could be a potential problem.
Make sure all directories, shortcuts and files is being runned as an administrator for your user - if not apply administrator rights to your user for the following directories.
eagames/battlefield 2/
documents/battlefield 2/

Well at least it worked for me... :)

Then you are also running Win7 which takes us to the Win Vista/7 help.
Make sure that you run the FH2.exe in WinXP compatibility mode and with admin rights (rigth-click on the link, then under properties).

FH2 and Windows Vista or Windows 7?
FH2 should be able to run on Windows Vista or Windows 7, though you should run FH2 on an account with Administrator permissions on your computer. To run FH2 as an administrator, right click the program, then run as administor. You can also setup this in the shortcut with advanced option in properties.

The FH2 Toolbox (which ships with FH2) has not been designed for Vista or Windows 7, it should still be able to run though when you use an account with administrator acces.

Also try to run the game in Windows XP compatibility mode, which should make the game more stable.

You should have more then 2GB RAM memory to run FH2 smoothly, as Vista and Windows 7 alone need that much to run smoothly.
« Last Edit: 07-10-2009, 08:10:22 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline blackhand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-10-2009, 13:10:45 »
There you will read that you have to replace the BF2.exe with a version from the DVD BF2.exe.
Or do this:
First I created a couple of folders that was missing because of the EASTORE downloadable version of BF2 Complete Edition.

Folders named "cache", "cache-fh2" & "mods" should be created under documents/battlefield 2/

create a shortcut named bf2 and point it at your eagames/battlefield 2/mods/bf2 directory
create a shortcut named fh2 and point it at your eagames/battlefield 2/mods/fh2 directory

I dont know if the following is necessary but for me running Vista maybe it could be a potential problem.
Make sure all directories, shortcuts and files is being runned as an administrator for your user - if not apply administrator rights to your user for the following directories.
eagames/battlefield 2/
documents/battlefield 2/

Make sure that you run the FH2.exe in WinXP compatibility mode and with admin rights (rigth-click on the link, then under properties).

FH2 should be able to run on Windows Vista or Windows 7, though you should run FH2 on an account with Administrator permissions on your computer. To run FH2 as an administrator, right click the program, then run as administor. You can also setup this in the shortcut with advanced option in properties.

The FH2 Toolbox (which ships with FH2) has not been designed for Vista or Windows 7, it should still be able to run though when you use an account with administrator acces.

Also try to run the game in Windows XP compatibility mode, which should make the game more stable.

You should have more then 2GB RAM memory to run FH2 smoothly, as Vista and Windows 7 alone need that much to run smoothly.

above's non bf2.exe replacement solution does not work for me and its kinda hard to replace the bf2.exe with dvd's version if you dont have the dvd (why would someone buy from steam/ea downloader if they already had retail version???) but apparently this does not work either as (from pr forums):
Unfortunately patching the bf2.exe is not an option as Steam validates gamefiles before it launches a game and re-downloads any incorrect files. On top of that Steam will still recognize the bf2.exe and hook into it. Plus, I don't have the retail copy anymore.

I tried launching Project Reality as a non-steam game. Although PR launches, I still get the error that I didn't launch from pr.exe.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-10-2009, 13:10:19 »
I would still try downloading the BF2.exe from these forums.
If that doesn't work then I have no clue. What on Earth moved you to get BF2 off Steam? :)
The retail version costs 15€ and comes with a nice DVD

Offline blackhand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-10-2009, 13:10:35 »
I would still try downloading the BF2.exe from these forums.
If that doesn't work then I have no clue. What on Earth moved you to get BF2 off Steam? :)
The retail version costs 15€ and comes with a nice DVD

cause im in aus and its cheaper to buy off steam than in stores still :(

where can i find the bf2.exe on this forum? has a loook in probs/solutions thread cant see in there and did a search on bf2.exe but can see file?

Offline wak1zashi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-10-2009, 01:10:10 »
Or do this:

eagames/battlefield 2/
documents/battlefield 2/

Thanks, I managed to get FH2 running, but now I have a problem with the shaders. When I go into Iron Sights, my screen turns black and white and flickers a lot. Now, I've checked the forums and saw the issue under one of the pinned threads, but when I tried to apply the solution, it didn't work at all and I've done everything the instructions said to do. Would you happen to know why this is? Thanks.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-10-2009, 01:10:27 »
Are you running the game through the FH2.exe?

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-10-2009, 01:10:49 »
Eek, I thought you guys were distributing through Stream!  How great would that be?

Offline wak1zashi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-10-2009, 02:10:08 »
Are you running the game through the FH2.exe?

Yes I managed to get it running through FH2.exe. The only problem is with the shaders now.

Also, I forgot to mention this, but before the game executes, an error message pops up, even though the game is able to run.

The message was "Failed to move 'Battlefield 2/mods/bf2' back to 'Battlefield 2/mods/bf2.tmp': You may need to run fh2.exe as a higher-privelege user: Access is denied."

It's weird because I have both my account and game under administrator mode.

Offline blackhand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-10-2009, 08:10:20 »
Or do this:

eagames/battlefield 2/
documents/battlefield 2/

Thanks, I managed to get FH2 running, but now I have a problem with the shaders. When I go into Iron Sights, my screen turns black and white and flickers a lot. Now, I've checked the forums and saw the issue under one of the pinned threads, but when I tried to apply the solution, it didn't work at all and I've done everything the instructions said to do. Would you happen to know why this is? Thanks.

how did ya get it to work?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-10-2009, 08:10:53 »
Yes I managed to get it running through FH2.exe. The only problem is with the shaders now.
Also, I forgot to mention this, but before the game executes, an error message pops up, even though the game is able to run.
The message was "Failed to move 'Battlefield 2/mods/bf2' back to 'Battlefield 2/mods/bf2.tmp': You may need to run fh2.exe as a higher-privelege user: Access is denied."
It's weird because I have both my account and game under administrator mode.

This happens iirc when you install BF2 on your primary Win7 partition. Try installing it on a second partition. Win7/Vista has some strange 'safety' features.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-10-2009, 08:10:42 »
where can i find the bf2.exe on this forum? has a loook in probs/solutions thread cant see in there and did a search on bf2.exe but can see file?

Ok the old link I posted a while back is dead:
http://files.filefront.com/BF2exe/;13698577;/fileinfo.html/1/1

So I would use this torrent: http://www.mininova.org/tor/600173

But if you want to be on the safe side, then I will upload the exe once I'm back from my trip after the weekend.
« Last Edit: 09-10-2009, 08:10:10 by N24Reporter »

Offline blackhand

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-10-2009, 12:10:05 »

Ok the old link I posted a while back is dead:
http://files.filefront.com/BF2exe/;13698577;/fileinfo.html/1/1

So I would use this torrent: http://www.mininova.org/tor/600173

But if you want to be on the safe side, then I will upload the exe once I'm back from my trip after the weekend.

thanks but i actually got it to semi work, for some weird reason if you load bf2 normally and then go to fh2 via the commmunites tab it will actually work =\, but now ive got the same issue as wak1zashi in that when i go iron sites screen boes b&w and is wavey ... at least im making progress! :) ... now iif only people in aus would play fh2 :(

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09-10-2009, 15:10:48 »
a temporary fix could be exchanging the shader_client.zip manually before playing fh2.

in the bf2/mods folder there is a BF2 folder and aFH2 folder, both contain an client_shader.zip file. for FH2 that file from the FH2 folder needs to be in the BF2 folder.(backup the original before moving them around)

this could work it might be cumbersome but for a workaround this could work until we find a better solution.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09-10-2009, 16:10:10 »
a temporary fix could be exchanging the shader_client.zip manually before playing fh2.

in the bf2/mods folder there is a BF2 folder and aFH2 folder, both contain an client_shader.zip file. for FH2 that file from the FH2 folder needs to be in the BF2 folder.(backup the original before moving them around)

this could work it might be cumbersome but for a workaround this could work until we find a better solution.

Great Idea! This should definitely work! If you don't plan on playing BF2 or any other mod, then you can even leave the changed files after exiting the game. :)