Author Topic: Win7 Crash, Please help!  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
Re: Win7 Crash, Please help!
« Reply #15 on: 09-04-2012, 13:04:20 »
its generally more recommended to install BF2/FH2 on a different partition than win7

which installer did you use? if you used incremental patches try using the full installer instead
it also helps if you use a bittorrent client or a download manager to prevent file corruption

then check this thread:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=3493.0
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09-04-2012, 13:04:38 »
Sorry Harminikator, i dont understand.

Im not sure what a partition is in the context of computing.

When i downloaded FH2 i just clicked on the link in the download section, downloaded part 1,2 then 3 and when they were all downloaded i clicked on them in order and installed the game.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09-04-2012, 14:04:34 »
your standard drive is C:
do you have any other hard drives like D:? (not cd rom drives)
if you have then reinstall BF2/FH2 on there
if not just install it into a different folder (what dlfreporter said)

and when you reinstall make sure that you right click on the files and run them as admin

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09-04-2012, 14:04:14 »
Ok, ive reinstalled BF2 to C:\Games\BF2\

do i need to install FH2 to the same place?

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09-04-2012, 14:04:02 »
yes it should install it into that folder all by itsself anyway

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09-04-2012, 14:04:10 »
Right, installed FH2 to the same folder (which as you say, it did it automaticly), set it to administrator, compatibility to service pack 2 and then started the game, exactly the same thing happened as last time, after clicking multiplayer it goes straight to desktop with no error message.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09-04-2012, 19:04:47 »
i think your installer could be corrupted.
did you install using the same installer that you used before? was that one downloaded with a download manager or a torrent client?

does this also happen in normal BF2 or any other BF2 mods?
is there any sort of firewall or antivir program that might block FH2 moving files?

also if there is already a folder /Forgottenhp 2 in your Document folder try renaming that to something different

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09-04-2012, 23:04:55 »
Not sure i understand what you mean about installers, torrent clients or download managers, i just clicked on the link in the download menu on the FH2 website.

Normal BF2 is fine, no trouble atall.

No firewall or anything, i disabled them for FH2 and while im tinkering around with it.

no, i dont belive i have anything called forgottenhope on my computer or anything else thats not related to the game itself

I hope people arnt out of ideas, i loved this game and played it for hours before my last computer melted and i hope to get back into the trenches again someday. As i say, all ideas are gratfully recieved and i'll give them a shot.  ;D

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10-04-2012, 00:04:00 »
you should be able to find the Forgottenhp 2 folder under Startmenu/Documents
just delete that folder
if that doesnt do anything then see the following

what i meant before is that you should try to download the install files (Forgotten_Hope_2.4_1_of_3 etc.) again to make sure theyre not damaged

however if you use your normal browser (firefox, internet explorer, opera or what else) you run the danger of the files getting corrupted if any tiny problem with the connection should arise.

so i recommend using the torrent files (under windows 7 i recommend using OneSwarm)

install the program and then choose the (torrent) files in the download section of the FH2 website.

then reinstall everything (BF2 + patches, FH2) using the fresh installers

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10-04-2012, 01:04:52 »
Ok, i may be onto something.

I downloaded OneSwarm (no problem) and then downloaded the "torrent" FH2 parts 1,2 and 3, no problem there

After a while serching for where they went i then realised they are RAR files (not sure what are) can anyone suggest something to open these things? I just downloaded something called WINRAR but it doesnt work and took an awful long time to download, so if anyone can suggest one that might work ide be gratful (save me downloading a load of things i think are right and then getting compleatly confused and wasting my time).

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10-04-2012, 08:04:20 »
Morning Brom,

you're on the right track here! And thanks for your patience. Would be to sad to lose such a dedicated player! Winrar is the right program to unzip RAR files and should be like 12MB big when you download it. Unzipping the FH2 install files might take longer, as they are quite big.
What doesn't work with Winrar?
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10-04-2012, 13:04:51 »
Well, i used oneswarm to download it to my computer, after finding the 3 FH2 parts which appear to be labeled "oneswam download" i click on it and it says something like "media has already been added as Forgotten_hope_2.4_1of_3_pass.rar" with the option of clicking "ok". but in the window behind it it points me to a new folder called "oneswarm Documents", i eventually found this folder where the three parts are, and after downloading winRAR i click on part 1, i then put the password in and it starts to extract, it get to nearly the end and then stops and an error message comes up saying...

!   C:\Users\comet\Documents\OneSwarm Downloads\Forgotten_Hope_2.4_1of_3_pass.rar: CRC failed in the encrypted file Forgotten Hope 2.4 (1 of 3).exe. Corrupt file or wrong password.
!   Cannot execute "C:\Users\comet\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXb0.409\Forgotten Hope 2.4 (1 of 3).exe"

As i said before, i loved this game and i'll try any and all ideas if it gets me closer to playing again, i dont care how long it takes but i WILL get to the bottom of this (with all your help of course  ;D)

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10-04-2012, 14:04:25 »
well that means that either you got the password wrong (winrar only checks the password after the extraction, hence the error at the end), or the file isnt finished

copy paste the password making sure that theres no spaces over

Forgotten_Password_2.4_07.2011

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10-04-2012, 14:04:14 »
Tried it, the same thing happened again (except i didnt get the second line of the error message this time, odd).

!   C:\Users\comet\Documents\OneSwarm Downloads\Forgotten_Hope_2.4_1of_3_pass.rar: CRC failed in the encrypted file Forgotten Hope 2.4 (1 of 3).exe. Corrupt file or wrong password.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10-04-2012, 16:04:59 »
Try entering the PW by hand, WinRAR has had problems with pasted PWs in the past.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off