Author Topic: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover  (Read 24024 times)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
« Reply #135 on: 23-05-2012, 06:05:30 »
The thing is, COD was supposed to be the big replacement for IL2 1946.  The thing that would slowly push it aside and gain ascendency, like FH2 over FH1.  Instead, it's fizzled completely.  IL-2 1946 is a far far superior game to COD, which angers me greatly, considering the years of work they spent on COD and the 60 bucks I spent on it

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 23-05-2012, 06:05:52 »
Il-2 1946 offers tons of things to fly with and play with... you can toy around with B-17 with FW-190s or shoot down marauding Stukas with MiGs/Yaks/Mustangs/Lavochkins/Jugs/Spits... whatever. The replay-ability is tremendous in this game.

Even I still can't decide whether to stick with HSFX (with tons of British and American planes variants) or Ultrapack (which has moar variety of planes).

It is realistic enough to satisfy your geek side, easy to learn to jump right into quick action, still supported with regular patches, highly tuneable to still look sleek in 2012 gaming world and still light enough to run on budget computer. What's not to like?

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 23-05-2012, 06:05:17 »
Im not going to completely give up hope on COD.. i know the first build of IL2 was rather meh itself but after time it polished out and im hoping the same for its successor.. But until then im sticking with 1946. 

Also Ultrapack 3.0 is amazing, when im bored and just looking for lol's there's nothing like loading Aim9's on the F86 and roflstomping.
« Last Edit: 23-05-2012, 06:05:12 by Tuco »
If you have to shoot, shoot, dont talk.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 23-05-2012, 09:05:24 »
The first Il-2 was eastern front only. But that's good enough IIRC.

What they offer now is mostly variety and a slightly perfect balance between realism and gaming experience. With mods, you'll just get MOAR of it.

COD, IMHO, already has the perfect platform. They just need more content and variety (especially that quick battle mode, which is awesome). Multiplaying is okay, but too much of it is also meh...

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 23-05-2012, 10:05:06 »
Exactly, and if it had quick battle mode id probably already own it. Last thing i want is some dumb scripted campaign.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 23-05-2012, 18:05:50 »
It has 24 Quick battle missions, of witch 5 are free flight, some bomber missions, some dogfights, with even and uneven chances. Some attacks on bomber formations etc.

My question stays the same, what is a good joystick?

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 23-05-2012, 22:05:27 »
I've had a Saitek ST290 for years, cheap and works well.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 24-05-2012, 05:05:05 »
Yes, Saitek ST290 is pretty good beginner joystick. It has most features you need, including numerous programmable buttons costs you around $40. Saitek is well-known amongst flight sim enthusiasts for having realistic feeling of the control movements, especially the throttle.

Alternatively you can try Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick that costs you around $30. This joystick has twist function to control rudder, so you can sway your aim to give better chance of hitting your target. Perfect for non-dedicated Flight simmers.

What we mean by "Quick battle" is an instant mission creator, where you only have to choose your map, your plane (and your flight, how many) and your enemy planes (how many planes, how many squads/flights) then vroooom! Just fly

In Il-2 you'll be at 2,000 m on default (you can customise this as well), about 10 km from the enemy head-to-head by default (you can also customise this) and at the same level also by default (customisable as well). The enemy can have AAA or ground support or ground targets (also customiseable).

That's quick battle.

What you mean is probably single mission, in single mission, your plane is pre-selected, the area is pre-selected, and it has specific objectives (e.g. free flight/roam around, CAP, CAS, bombing, nuisance raid, etc).

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 24-05-2012, 06:05:20 »
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=24281
Not bad for a 10 year old engine.

Offline Tim270

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 24-05-2012, 14:05:50 »
Imo it is not the lack of quick battles etc, the game just feels like a alpha.

AI is pretty broken.
Sounds are still all over the place, better than they were but all the volumes are fudged.
Performance is all around bad near large groups of buildings.
The UI is very clunky and broken in a lot of places.

I mean sure, if you load it up you can jump into a mission and fly around, it does work, but it has no polish that it just is not fun at all.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 25-05-2012, 00:05:24 »
Does it have a Full Mission Builder like in IL2 1946?

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 25-05-2012, 05:05:25 »
Agreed with Tim....

And dude, you really don't need a quality joystick.  My joystick is an ancient microsoft sidewinder that dates to like 1996/98 or so.  It works perfectly.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 25-05-2012, 11:05:09 »
Mine is also Microsoft Sidewinder 1, back from 1998. The front trigger is already broken, so I have to press space for MG, and replace button 2 for main MG and 3 for cannon shots.

Torenico:
Not necessarily full mission builder, just quick battle creator. Full mission builder specifies scenario and event triggers. In quick battle, all happens quickly, just select plane, loadouts, enemy, situation, and done, everything is instantly created for you... FLY and SHOOT! Try Il-2 1946.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 28-05-2012, 05:05:32 »
Tried both UP3.0 and HSFX5.0

I have to say that I'll stick to HSFX, although they don't have the highly needed Lancaster bomber. UP3.0 is fun though, loved that Sidewinder and K-13 missile they created. (thanks Tuco for the tip).

My sickest fantasy in Il-2 is to pit bomber vs bomber battle, which mostly won by US bombers (due to ridiculous amount of 12.7 Machine Guns attached to them and adequate armouring). You can almost surgically decapitate enemy's plane in this kind of battle. My favorite: first: remove the rudder, than kill one of its engine. The plane then began to bank without proper direction and crashed after making downward spiral without any crew attempting to bail.

I get LOLs everytime some idiots in Light bombers tried to breakaway from broadside fighting and opted to nosegunning Japanese Betty bombers, not realizing twin 20 mm cannons sitting there right in the tail. Once fired, the pilots will die instantly and the plane begin nosediving.

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 21-09-2012, 15:09:29 »
its 9,99€ on steam.
is this game still played?
is it worth it?
playable?=