Author Topic: [Map] Cretan Village  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
[Map] Cretan Village
« on: 17-02-2013, 03:02:53 »
Hey guys, I just wanted to show some of my progress I'm making on a map. I decided I was gonna try my hand at mapping and I figured it'd probably be easiest (for me) to recreate an old map from FH1. So after some looking I decided to try and remake Cretan Village! Using a nice little tool, I was able to transfer the heightmap of the actual map right into the BF2 editor. And from there I painted the terrain with the minimap from the old map. And after a couple weeks of work and learning my way around here's what I've got.

I'll start with a nice overlooking view of the village of Pavlos.

Pavlos from the other side of town.

The main square, and where most of the fighting will probably take place.

Scenic shot of the tight streets.

The classic plane wreck we all probably remember.

The road leading to Pavlos.

Another shot showing off the 2 Pounder.

The guardpost flag.

The ruins atop the hill (which is luckily the like exact same model as from the original).

The german spawn of Zaros.

The British/Australian/New Zealand spawn.

A closer look.

And the command tent (the only place with any detail right now.)

As i said, the map doesn't have any details right now, just the over growth, undergrowth, and main building layouts. But let me know what you guys think. I can't remember how popular Cretan Village was, but I do remember I liked it. And also let me know your thoughts on whether or not I should make it more like the original.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
Re: [Map] Cretan Village
« Reply #1 on: 17-02-2013, 03:02:06 »
 I say an excellent choice & as you are "trying your hand at mapping", i am very impressed so far.

If you can make it look like this......

I say hell yes!!

8)

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17-02-2013, 05:02:21 »
Its looking good. As you said it doesn't have much detail right now, but I'm sure it will look amazing after a few more weeks of work.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17-02-2013, 11:02:52 »
Aggreed with Korsakov. Nice work, Baker!  :D needs more work on the detail once the overall layout if fully finished.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17-02-2013, 11:02:03 »
Good work so far but "urban" areas looks a little bit different from the original one, my tip is to make it similiar to FH1 one as much as possible. Main problem with remakes is that person who's trying to recreate the map has his own ideas and often change map too much what kills good memories from FH1 times  ;)

In another words - it was my favourite map so better don't fuck it up!!!!  >:(

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17-02-2013, 17:02:38 »
Well the problem I have in recreating urban areas into that of the old one is that I don't have those kinds of statics. I wanted to remake the map with the same building layout, but with a more crete look to it. I intended it to be a mix between FH1 Cretan Village, and The Battle for Sfakia. If you go back and look at the original, alot of the statics are from the European theatre and imo didn't look as good. And since I don't even have buildings that look like those statics anymore I thought I'd just try to make it look more like an actual Cretan Village.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-02-2013, 20:02:09 »
Looks really good so far. One question though: How did they JU manage to land at that point without being torn apart? Maybe it was in the FH1 version too. I never played it.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-02-2013, 20:02:48 »
Looks really good so far. One question though: How did they JU manage to land at that point without being torn apart? Maybe it was in the FH1 version too. I never played it.

Also it needs to leave trace behind it if it crash-landed. Its isnt no helicoper.

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-02-2013, 09:02:28 »
Nice mate, keep it up !
FH2 Dev (wait seriously ?)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-02-2013, 15:02:41 »

Also it needs to leave trace behind it if it crash-landed. Its isnt no helicoper.

Yeah I know, I was just trying out overgrowth at that point, I need to get rid of the overgrowth and make some static trees that are broken. Unless I can edit the ones there? Either way I was gonna be working on it.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-02-2013, 16:02:43 »

Yeah I know, I was just trying out overgrowth at that point, I need to get rid of the overgrowth and make some static trees that are broken. Unless I can edit the ones there? Either way I was gonna be working on it.

Good. Could you also add a few more effects to show that it had a rough landing?

You are a really talented modder, I like the stuff you make, they are reall quality. Especially the Hanomag skin "Zita"
« Last Edit: 18-02-2013, 17:02:28 by TurkishCommando007 »

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19-02-2013, 00:02:25 »

Good. Could you also add a few more effects to show that it had a rough landing?

I agree. Obviously this is a W.I.P.

- In the pic above i see tree's still standing in the "Crash Path" behind the plane.
- Add smoke effect, dead body statics & a plane that's torn apart.
- Create a "Realistic Crash Path" behind the plane
- perhaps some cargo/crates scattered about the crash site....

....assuming this was a supply plane that was shot down,......

Keep up the good work Matt!!!

;)
« Last Edit: 19-02-2013, 00:02:09 by Jimi Hendrix »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-03-2013, 19:03:00 »
Still working on this?

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-03-2013, 19:03:43 »
It's been put on hold for a bit until this summer, school's started back up so I don't have access to the editor or the files but it's still on the back burner :)

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26-03-2013, 16:03:02 »
Your work looks veraciously promising! I can't wait for a beta for us to try out ;D .