Author Topic: Little delay for the kill message would be nice.  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Potilas

• View Profile
Little delay for the kill message would be nice.
« on: 26-03-2015, 11:03:01 »
Its kind weird knowing right away whom ive killed. Just one second delay for kill message would give my brain "more immersive feeling about killing someone".

Dunno if im the only one with this mental issue. Nobody seems to not wanting chances for the kill messages before me. If we have more guys like me. I suggest we raise and make noise about the pain we have. *troll face* 

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
Re: Little delay for the kill message would be nice.
« Reply #1 on: 26-03-2015, 11:03:45 »
I agree, it would be cool, but as always the question is 'is it possible with the BF2 engine'?

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-03-2015, 12:03:14 »
Yes, it'd be great. Not sure if it's entirely possible but I'm sure it'll slow down the leet quickscopers and actually add to immersion rather than the idiotic damage model that's in place.

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-03-2015, 12:03:05 »
I'm not sure about this. Would it actually change the gameplay much, especially if it was just a one second delay? Most of the time you'll visually confirm the kill before even paying attention to the kill feed. The only exceptions would be grenades and kills with tanks. Even with grenades you charge in after the explosion and it doesn't really matter whether you killed anyone or not. It's the same with tanks.

If the delay was a lot longer, it might have an effect. But even then I'm guessing it would only change shooting at fog distance when you can't really confirm the kill, especially if the target is lying down.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-03-2015, 13:03:56 »
Not a delay for the kill message, but i want them to be off entirely, and make a delay for the kill to appear on the score, just like in PR.

Offline 0utlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-03-2015, 18:03:41 »
Not a delay for the kill message, but i want them to be off entirely

i agree

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-03-2015, 18:03:56 »
Actually there is a setting in the files of fh2 to remove chat or kill messages, I forget what file or line it is, but add the word "NOT" to it.

mods\fh2\menu_server.zip\HUD\HudSetup\Communication\

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-03-2015, 20:03:28 »
It sounds like a great solution between what we have now and removal of kill messages which is a bit too extreme, also it's sometimes fun to see a familiar name in a kill message ;D. Few seconds delay would add a lot of immersion and a bit of excitement tho. I would love to see that together with removal of hit indicators (I hope we will see option to turn them off in the FH2 launcher settings one day) it would force you to focus on your target more to confirm the kill, especially on longer ranges, instead of just looking for a kill message on a side of your screen. Codding wise, I think it is possible as PR uses such delay for the kill score.

Actually there is a setting in the files of fh2 to remove chat or kill messages...
That option removes few HUD elements together, IIRC you can hide kill message only with chat and something else. It would make sense only if you could switch every single HUD element separately but it's impossible because of silly engine limitations  :(

Offline Potilas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-03-2015, 20:03:52 »
Ill try explain myself. Kill messages are cool. I personally want to know the player name who did I kill, because I get pleasure about that information. Delayed kill messages would make game feel more natural. when you shoot somebody, you should not know instant way is he dead or not. Im sure short delay will give more real atmosphere feeling.         

Offline Guderian

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-03-2015, 19:03:45 »
Actually there is a setting in the files of fh2 to remove chat or kill messages, I forget what file or line it is, but add the word "NOT" to it.

mods\fh2\menu_server.zip\HUD\HudSetup\Communication\

11th line ;)
menu_server.zip\HUD\HudSetup\Communication\HudElementsChat.con\hudBuilder.setNodeShowVariable    NOT ChatListShow

It's the only way I play.

@ Potilas
I'll look in the .con files for a setting that might delay the server report time.
« Last Edit: 27-03-2015, 19:03:30 by Guderian »

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-03-2015, 20:03:33 »
Guderian,you wrote 131 post since 2009???? ;D What? ???
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-03-2015, 22:03:07 »
Guderian,you wrote 131 post since 2009???? ;D What? ???

For our dev work we use a separate forum. ;) Plus most of us chat on skype for stuff.

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28-03-2015, 12:03:38 »
I feel like removing it entirely or adding a 7 second delay will change some dynamics for the better, either for long range combat longevity or tank realism/HE behind cover.

Inb4 ww2 had kill feeds

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28-03-2015, 15:03:57 »
I support this, but will it really change anything? I mean, a 5 second delay means that... You'll spend 5 seconds waiting for the message instead of paying attention to your surroundings...

If it's a close quarters battle it changes nothing as you will probably see the guy die or hear his death scream. If it's long range, you'll put another shell on the same spot, just to make sure... It might bring some tension and some amount of uncertainty, but you'll still know if you got him or not in the end...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28-03-2015, 17:03:24 »
I took combat flow into consideration. The fact that you can move on to another target right at the moment you take a shot damages the concept of long range rifle engagement gameplay.
« Last Edit: 28-03-2015, 17:03:00 by Airshark79 »