Author Topic: Hypothetical FH3 engine discussion  (Read 7548 times)

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
Re: Hypothetical FH3 engine discussion
« Reply #15 on: 09-06-2012, 17:06:31 »
hmm, interesting, do you have a link? i want to try it now :P.

Also, with the new trend of crowd funding Im hoping the industry relies less and less on greedy publishers. Some time in the future FH3 (or 4 or 5) can do a kickstarter and save to buy the right to cryengine or  UT4 and start the game they desire to make.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09-06-2012, 18:06:15 »
If I recall correctly with the Unreal engine at least you don't need to pay for a license to the engine, you just have to pay a royalty on any sales you make. Thus, if they were doing FH3 as a free standalone game I don't think they would need to pay anything beyond buying software that the SDK requires.

If they wanted to actually start their own studio and make developing FH3 a full time job I don't really think a kickstarter could raise enough money to do that, unfortunately. They would need to raise enough to spend 2-3 years making a game, as during that time they would have no source of revenue.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09-06-2012, 18:06:03 »
there is quite a bit of project undergoing that have been funded by kickstarter, and some are very ambitius. You just need tons of support from your playerbase. 

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09-06-2012, 19:06:35 »
As if "greedy publishers" are to blame for mod team's game failing  ::)

As I said, making the game is just step 1. Kickstarter can be ok to pay your salary for some time, but what do you do then? Upload your game to filefront and hope someone downloads it? Crawl to Steam and beg them to sell it so you can break even?

Games are just as much business and they are entertainment. Ambitious oh-my-god-we're-totally-gonna-make-our-own-game teams who fail to take this aspect in, will always f.a.i.l. As will those gold-diggers with pipe-dreams who think they will do a "minecraft" and produce an indie-game that over night will get millions of players. Players who "get it" as opposed to those "fooled" by "greedy publishers"  :-\
« Last Edit: 09-06-2012, 19:06:45 by Natty »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09-06-2012, 19:06:12 »
oh no I never said publishers are the reason why a mod team fails. But been able to work wihtout some big brother watching you over your shoulder and telling you what to do or they take their money back is something everybody wants, and with kickstarter and other types of funding you can actually pull it off.

Kickstarter is just that, a kick to mae you start, or a push to make you finish the game, is not the way you financial ALL your project.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09-06-2012, 23:06:14 »
hmm, interesting, do you have a link? i want to try it now :P.
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/
You need a copy of Crysis Wars (comes bundled with Crysis Warhead or Crysis Maximum Edition) to play, though.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10-06-2012, 00:06:16 »

FH2 is beautiful, but still a mod. You want a standalone game. A game that can offer the same graphics and what not as other games do these days. And you can, if you use an engine that gets updated regularly. You can keep your game alive for so many years and still keep up with new technologies.

Are you sure that is what they want? You want a standalone. I'm not so sure about them. Creating a game from scratch is much more work. You're not just putting in some models and textures and voila, the game is done. That is much more coding than modding a game. Somehow I doubt the Devs got plenty of spare members only waiting to be scheduled for that.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10-06-2012, 13:06:09 »
This is all hypothetical, remember.

Of course it's not done in a day. Of course it's hard work. But you don't start from scratch, you start with an engine and go from there. But it's hard work nonetheless.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10-06-2012, 22:06:36 »
oh no I never said publishers are the reason why a mod team fails. But been able to work wihtout some big brother watching you over your shoulder and telling you what to do or they take their money back is something everybody wants,

m'kaay... but that is not how the game industry works though. It's only how gamer-dudes on teh interwebz think it works.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11-06-2012, 00:06:06 »
mmmno. thats how theese guys say it works. Far more believable than what some dude who thinks he work in a company that make "games" says :)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11-06-2012, 01:06:21 »
As if "greedy publishers" are to blame for mod team's game failing  ::)

As I said, making the game is just step 1. Kickstarter can be ok to pay your salary for some time, but what do you do then? Upload your game to filefront and hope someone downloads it? Crawl to Steam and beg them to sell it so you can break even?

Games are just as much business and they are entertainment. Ambitious oh-my-god-we're-totally-gonna-make-our-own-game teams who fail to take this aspect in, will always f.a.i.l. As will those gold-diggers with pipe-dreams who think they will do a "minecraft" and produce an indie-game that over night will get millions of players. Players who "get it" as opposed to those "fooled" by "greedy publishers"  :-\

What you do is count on thousands of loyal fans to spread the word about an amazing project through all kinds of social media (twitter, reddit, facebook, youtube, game reviews, etc.)

P.S. You are old enough to recall a time when Publishers allowed mods Natty, In fact you got your start in the industry by being a modder. So yes, it was the publishers that fucked over the industry by wrongfully claiming that mods eat business something that my 5 purchased copies of BF2 would beg to differ upon. (the company still makes money, just not hand over fist like your robber baron bosses demand)
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11-06-2012, 02:06:24 »
dont waste your breath, he is too busy kissing the feet that kicks the bowl of food to him :P

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #27 on: 11-06-2012, 02:06:10 »
Do you think you can stop the obvious baiting?

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11-06-2012, 02:06:14 »
 Once upon a time, I worked for EA.

Little story,
 The pay was reasonable, my break times were adequate, they had an awesome smoking patio with a great view of downtown and i worked amongst a ton of like-minded and very amiable people. I still know people @ EA and they will never complain. They get childcare, free drycleaning, concierge service, good benefits and a stim ulating work environment.

The people that fucked up EA are the accountant's and the high executives who look at spreadsheets and powerpoint to make decisions when they don't even know how to turn on their TV, let alone how to code the backend of a massive online shooter.

Blame the Big Bosses who are sniffing at the trough for more profits on the backs of the workers and the wallets of the consumer. They just want their stocks to rise in price so that they can exercise capital gains allowances and retire to the Bahamas when they are 50. They don't caer about us because they will just move on to the next sucker. (as P.T. Barnum said "" there's a sucker born every minute"")

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11-06-2012, 02:06:05 »
dont waste your breath, he is too busy kissing the feet that kicks the bowl of food to him :P

not a chance in hell, any mistreatment and some Swedish Humane society would be ready to step in right away.

BTW i agree with E.U.,
 Give up on the obvious troll routine, just don't buy any more EA products like I have decided to do.