Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 117344 times)

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #15 on: 09-02-2013, 11:02:15 »
An excellent game. Lot better that that poopy War of Warplanes. Controls need adjusting though. I just wish I could have BF2 controls on my planes.

Same here. Although it's incredibly easy to fly wioth mouse-aim after a few hours already. I stopped it though as it's absolutely no fun and play with gamepad, which is nice for maneuvers but it's impossible to aim as good as with mouseaim, which is currently too easy imo. I tried mouse and keyboard by setting up simplified controls as well, making controls a bit FH2 like. It worked quite ok, so maybe that's what you look for. But flying with mouse/keyboard is just not fun to me on the long term. So I'm still pretty bad with gamepad, but I'll stick to it as flying with it is just more fun. Would play with joystick if I had one.
« Last Edit: 09-02-2013, 11:02:57 by Surfbird »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09-02-2013, 13:02:22 »
Would play with joystick if I had one.

Trust me, you wouldn't... At least not on arcade. Every mouse guy will own you in 2.5 seconds while you will have trouble even staying on target for 1 second... Joystick users get some penalties on purpose it seems...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09-02-2013, 16:02:00 »
It's not much different with gamepad I think. While you have to use roll/yaw/pitch moves in order to move your aim on the target with gamepad (and with joystick as well), the mouse-aim guys just have to move the mouse a little left, right, up or down. In my opinion the worst aspect of the game currently. Hard to stay motivated when getting owned all the time. But mouse-aim is not an option for me, lacks the challange and it's just not fun to fly with it, even when I make a lot more kills using it. Currently mouse aim and joystick/gamepad is like playing 2 different games of different difficulty level.
Anyway, I'm not giving up yet and improving with gamepad. Although all this is the major downside of the game, I still have fun.

Also, if anyone wants to try some coop missions or something add "Surfbird". I still suck though ;)
« Last Edit: 09-02-2013, 16:02:35 by Surfbird »

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09-02-2013, 17:02:58 »
looks nice, downloading now.

A nation vs nation game or does it have the WOT concept off all vs all ?

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09-02-2013, 17:02:14 »
In arcade mode it's all vs all. There is a historical mode though with scenerios of nation vs nation. It's still under developement though and there are not many maps yet. There are also full real battles with comparably realistic controls, not sure but this should be nation vs nation as well. Furthermore there is a dynamic campaign and single missions which are based on real war theatres.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09-02-2013, 18:02:05 »
Also, if anyone wants to try some coop missions or something add "Surfbird". I still suck though ;)

Sure. If anyone wants to add me feel free to do so, we can suck together then :P, the name's LuckyOne1 (because of the idiotic auto-rename when registering, instead of telling me it's already taken :-/).

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09-02-2013, 18:02:23 »
"Musti122", add me. I'm not that great in dogfights, but I'm pretty good with torpedoes though :D.

I like how compared to WOT(and probably WOW), you go into a battle with multiple planes, so that you can choose your own lineup, I really like that system. (and the battles last much longer)

Historical battles are only USSR vs Germany right now, sadly.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09-02-2013, 18:02:15 »
Added you both :)

I like that feature as well. I'm currently more flying the bombers. Got 2 Catalina's in my 4-plane lineup, need some time to unlock the 500lb bombs unfortunately, but the 16 100lb bombs are quite okay, just need to spam them at a target, as they do little on their own. Generally, I've been going for the US tree because I love planes like the Catalina as well as all the carrier based planes, especially the Corsair, Dauntless and Avenger.

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09-02-2013, 19:02:45 »
16x100lb is an excellent loadout, just go for the convoys and spam them with bombs(when done properly, you can easily take out 5-6 targets in one run), then quick turnaround, wait a minute, come back and bomb the second convoy, if its still alive that is. Then its just "precision bombing" leftovers (with good aim, AAA, artillery and light/medium tanks go in one bomb) until you get shot down. I wouldn't bother with 4x500lb bombs, too small to take out pillboxes, too big for light targets, and its better to just get torpedoes for the ships (1 torp. = 1 destroyer)
Thats at least how i do it: one Catalina(PBA5a, the heavier one) with 16 bombs to kill as many light targets/convoys as possible, and then finish off heavy pillboxes(they tend to stay intact till the end of the battle, since nobody can kill them) with 1000lb bombs on the other Catalina(assuming I'll manage to survive ofc. :D).

Killing many light targets is much better than trying to kill the heavier one's when you don't have any big bombs. Because this way you can get massive XP from bonuses (+500 for killing 2 targets in a row, then another +500 for killing 5 ground targets etc.)

Germans can really use that to their advantage, since they get 32x50 kg bombs on their HE 111's, double the load of a Catalina. That must be fun :D
« Last Edit: 09-02-2013, 20:02:04 by Musti »
WARNING!

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09-02-2013, 20:02:18 »
Thanks for the tips. Well I'm basically using the Catalina because the airplane is beautiful and I like the possibility of taking a torpedos as well :p Just noticed that the 100lb bombs don't do anything to ships it seems, so I've given up on bombing them. But I get quite a good bunch of xp in the rounds indeed. Just thought the 500lb bombs have enough punch to take out a whole group of AA guns, but that's probably more the 1000lb's and yea, actually I should be able to do the same with the 16 100lb bombs. It's just that I sometimes fly too fast to get them all perfectly off, but I'm practicing and improving.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09-02-2013, 20:02:49 »
Well judging by your experiences I'm gonna have to try bombing... I tried to be a dogfighter but with joystick against mouse users it's very hard to stay competitive... On better rounds I manage a 1:1 kill ratio, otherwise they just one-shot me... Although I'm still flying mostly the starter planes... I only got a Hurricane for dogfighting, and it's not really good enough against faster high tiers, and I can't out-turn lower tiers....

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09-02-2013, 20:02:41 »
Bombing is fun and you won't get so frustrated so fast. Even the Catalina, which looks kinda fragile compared to other planes takes a lot of hits and you get free kills when people flying at you witht heir funny biplanes (which do like 0 dmg) as you can shoot them down pretty easily with your gunner. The bombers also seem to be flying when they are really damaged already, I managed to fly all the way back to my teammates with a totally damaged wreck basically. But it did not want to blow up :)

Also, you might want to check this forum thread here

including a post from a guy who gives free his exact joystick settings, and he seems to know what he's doing as you can see in this video, which is also where I found the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zd_mphwHA4
« Last Edit: 09-02-2013, 20:02:30 by Surfbird »

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09-02-2013, 22:02:47 »
Oh yeah, Catalina can be really tough. Unless you have a Beaufighter/Aircobra or something similar on your ass, it should survive for quite some time before going down. Its turrets are a bit weak though, and they have a dead zone exactly behind the plane. But it's a really good plane with quite heavy bomb load for a rank 3 plane.
WARNING!

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10-02-2013, 02:02:11 »
A fun game. I think I´m going to buy myself a Stuka... bombing ground targets, especially the convoys is most fun.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10-02-2013, 14:02:25 »
 This looks really good.

http://warthunder.com/en/game/features/13/current/
From massive multiplayer battles with random players to sophisticatedly designed events for experienced virtual pilots, from modes with simplified control settings to co-op missions against AI enemies—War Thunder is always full of action.

Question: How Massive is the Multi-Player?  8 vs 8 or are we talking hundreds of players?

Can you create a custom plane and name it?

That would be cool. Just like the Red Baron in WWI.

8)