Author Topic: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover  (Read 23369 times)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
Re: Il-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
« Reply #15 on: 21-03-2011, 21:03:40 »
Is this game playable without a joystick ? Or do I really need to get one ?
You can play IL-2 without a stick... but I would strongly recommend you to get one.

Low priced quality stick like Logitech Attack 3 will work just fine.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21-03-2011, 21:03:48 »
You can play IL-2 without a stick... but I would strongly recommend you to get one.

Twin-engined bombers might be marginally flyable with a gamepad - at least, I could fly Beau or Mitchell reasonably well with one (full flight model realism, only ignoring complex engine management) when I hosted a small lanparty a few years back (and did not have the sense to have enough joysticks).

Free flight in relaxed realism is theoretically possible with a keyboard. Combat or full realism... not really. Been there, done that, bought the farm every time.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #17 on: 21-03-2011, 21:03:14 »
Seriously naw guyz

IL-2, easy to get started? I don't like simulators when it takes forever to get going. I want a good mix of realism/simulator but also that it's fun to play and entertaining

Offline Mr_Cheese

• Developer
  • FH2 dev
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #18 on: 21-03-2011, 22:03:27 »
Also, on the plane count:

The original IL-2 had only 12 planes, and 3 static campaigns.  This one will have 2-3 static campaigns (british, german, and possibly Italian), and 13 flyable planes (one not WW2).  The maddox team is already hard at work at TWO expansions, due probably next year.  So don't fret, it'll go the same route as IL-2 Sturmovik did, with Forgotten Battles and Aces adding everything plane wise, plus dynamic campaigns for everyone. :3
Good points!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcm_5L6yZIY&hd=1 - I'm pretty sure this video shows most of the planes included in the game.

I'm very tempted to pre-order it but the price is a bit off-putting, particularly with Portal 2 coming out soon too...

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21-03-2011, 22:03:11 »
Seriously naw guyz

IL-2, easy to get started? I don't like simulators when it takes forever to get going. I want a good mix of realism/simulator but also that it's fun to play and entertaining
At least in IL2:FB series there was "Instant Action" - you could pick your wingmen and opponents and skip straight into the action. You can also choose more thorough single missions if full-on campaigning seems a little daunting at first.

As for customizing the difficulty, the sky's the limit. You can adjust everything individually in IL2:FB series (not so in the abomination called Birds of Prey). Flight model you can choose between easy and realistic, but you can mix this up with blackout, redout, torque, wind, etc. Fuel and ammo can be set to unlimited independently. Engine management can be streamlined or "complex" (you have to adjust - depending on the plane - propeller pitch, magnetos, carburetor, turbocharger, etc.). Minimap and plane icons can be set on or off. External views can be blocked or allowed. And so on. You can add more challenge as your piloting skills grow.

tl;dr: You can play IL-2 as a semi-realistic shooter or a hardcore simulator and anything inbetween.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22-03-2011, 01:03:49 »
for as long as i have my beloved Stuka, i dont care! ;D

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22-03-2011, 10:03:04 »
Still have that IL-2 Ace edition lying around here. Looked forward to playing them, wanted to like it, but when I tried it out could hardly get a plane off the ground. Kinda gave up after that. But since I was probably playing other games as well around that time maybe I should buy a decent joystick and give it one more chance.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22-03-2011, 14:03:13 »
if you just want the fun, play without the insane realism :)

Offline Pascucci the Whiner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22-03-2011, 17:03:37 »
if you just want the fun, play without the insane realism :)

Depends on your idea of fun lol.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22-03-2011, 17:03:06 »
Personally, in IL2, I only turn on vulnerability, realistic landings, takeoff/landing, clouds, realistic gunnery, headshake, and a couple others I can't remember.

Offline AlexS66

• A fine English gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22-03-2011, 17:03:36 »
i really enjoyed the aspect of turning infinite ammo and and ripping enemy planes peice from peice untill there was nothing left

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22-03-2011, 18:03:46 »
Seriously naw guyz

It's very customizable, so you can make it a little more arcady if you want. I would say yes, you can pick it up  and play if you want

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24-03-2011, 00:03:04 »
I have been flying with Kb for about two years or something.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24-03-2011, 00:03:40 »

I've been using an almost 15 year old microsoft joystick since Microsoft Flight Sim 2...and have never needed anything more.  You could prob pick one up on ebay for a few bucks :P

Offline Bang0o

• FH-Betatester
  • I am Important!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24-03-2011, 09:03:29 »

I've been using an almost 15 year old microsoft joystick since Microsoft Flight Sim 2...and have never needed anything more.  You could prob pick one up on ebay for a few bucks :P
yeh i got logitech attack 3. works fine. but i reccomend an joystick with coolie hat, you you can look around.