Author Topic: Tank turrets  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Kev4000

• FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
Tank turrets
« on: 13-09-2011, 01:09:09 »
In 2.4, we implemented new tank turret acceleration/deceleration handling.
We've been very restricted in exactly how these operate due to BF2 engine limitations. Thus unfortunately there is no way to, for example, keep the new acceleration and old deceleration.

Anyhow, please give your feedback and experiences.
1.) What did you think of it at first try?
2.) What do you now think of it?
3.) Do you find the new system better overall? Give pros and cons.
Only for high pingers 100+ (please state your usual ping)
4.) Does the jitter/wharping lag affect your skill level when aiming? If so, how much?

Offline evhgear

• View Profile
Re: Tank turrets
« Reply #1 on: 13-09-2011, 03:09:03 »
Well I'm not a tanker in general, I use them only sometimes on tank maps, but I find that at close quarter tank battles the way the turret turns in 2.4 make harder to aim well the other tank. For the ping I play in general with 110ping so i'm kinda habituated to to see the guy I shooted first(and start bleeding) finally kills me, so I can say that now it takes me longer to aim, I have less time to kill the guy before he kills me.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-09-2011, 12:09:47 »
At the first try it was quiet hard to controll the turret of the tanks. But after the hint with decreasing the mouse sensitivity of the tanks everything works fine now and I am quiet used to it. Due to the fact, that I mostly use StuG's, when ever I can get one, the turret acceleration isn't a big problem for me. The only vehicles, that is near to uncontrollable for me is the Puma. The turret is spinning around like hell and the acceleration is compared to all other tanks much too high also with decreased mouse sensitivity. But all in all the new system is a big success connected with the angle system and makes it more interesting. You really need more skill and the guy in the better tank is not always the winner.

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-09-2011, 13:09:34 »
1) Slow as hell
2) Awesome
3) Pros - Fight Tigers with Cromwell at close range by flanking it is now possible, Turret handling now feel more like real, APC MG is not oversensitive as it was in 2.3 due to high Tank mouse sensitivity. Cons - Almost impossible to shot down planes with Crusader AA

"The roar of engines, the recoil of cannons. That is where the true joy of battle lies."

Offline Hans Werner

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-09-2011, 14:09:27 »
1.) At first try i was afraid to don't be able to kill any enemy tank anymore  ;D But after few try i have found the way to use it, and i found it better than before but there are still few things to improve IMO.

2.) About the acceleration everything is good IMO, you now feel to handle an heavy and mechanic activated tank turret when you start to move it and this stick more to the reality of real WW2 tank. The main issue is the deceleration due to the sliding effect. I'm all for having a slow rotation turret speed but IRL when the shooter of the tank was stopping to action the rotation of the turret, the turret was stopping instantaneously to move. It's a mechanic effect so there is no slide effect at all. The issue in FH2 with that is the aiming accuracy has been impacted by this change and it's still the case IMO whatever your mouse sensibility setting are.

3.) Yes but it need to be improve again (my average ping is about 20) :

Good point = more realistic, more chance for infantry to flank heavy tanks and avoid to have crazy turret (360° overall in few seconds...). Also it add a real weight turret feeling.

Bad point = it's decreasing to much the aiming accuracy especially on tank like the Panzer IV, Puma...etc... It seems to impact more the medium and light tanks than the heavy ones.

4.) Yes, now it's always hard to directly stop your sight on the enemy, you have to calculate a kind of delay to try to aim as more accurate as you can. In fact you have to stop to move your mouse (I'm using mouse for turret rotation) before to be on your target to try to put your sight on it at first try. Which is if you fail a major issue because the quickness of aiming and firing is the most important fact is tank combat.

What would be grate is to keep this new effect of acceleration but to find a way to instantaneously stop the rotation when the player stop to action it. It seem that you can't keep the old deceleration with the new acceleration due to the BF2 engine so what i could suggest is to add a new button in tank control panel to stop the turret rotation. It would act as a brake on the rotation and the player will have to press it at the good moment to be directly on is target and to avoid the slide effect, but i don't know if you can do that.

Hope my feedback and suggestion will help you.
« Last Edit: 15-09-2011, 14:09:58 by Hans Werner »

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-09-2011, 16:09:17 »

Hard to do and kinda annoyed me till i got the hang of it with a trick(see below what i did)

Awesome.I now tank using my Gamepad and it works like a charm!

yes i do find it better overall first because of the way it handles and secondly because of the new ballistics

Offline HadrianBT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-09-2011, 08:09:02 »
1) Hmm, this is a nice idea, Anubis will be pissed :)
2) I love it. Although greyhound is hard to handle now.
3) Ping = 180. Definitely better, much more realistic. Not every shot is an instant kill, similar to some guys with rifles nowadays. It is perfectly fine as it is now, IMO.
4) Yes, it is harder, but more fun. Also, it becomes easier with some practice.
Proud member of CWC dev team (voice-recording).
"im sorry,but you sound like an old grumpy man listening to rock music" AngryBeaver
"Some argue that the only thing in the world you cannot get used to is an icicle up yours, because it will melt" Kelmola

Offline bjack

• in_ur_base, campin ur planez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-09-2011, 00:09:28 »
1.  Great idea and was much needed.  Super agile laser turrets needed to be brought down.
2.  Still great.
3.  Pros:  One of the best new features.  Cons:  M8 Greyhound is not very agile/now more clumsy compared to everything else.
4.  Pings don't seem to negatively effect my tanking experience.

Offline Mazz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-10-2011, 00:10:28 »
Anyhow, please give your feedback and experiences.
Interesting, without knowing to turn down sensitivity it was a pain in the ass.

Used to it, but like the angle mod it has some very annoying flaws. The limit to your maximum isn't just a static limit even though it tries to be: when you turn too fast the turret reacts awkwardly and can often jumpy or skip in place, if you could work it so no matter how fast you move the mouse the turret turns at a set speed it would be better, although I know that's probably more work then worth.

Pros: No more super Tigers
Cons: Some vehicles (Greyhound/Puma) are not set correctly, minor glitches in the code/hardware interaction settings I listed above.

4.) Does the jitter/wharping lag affect your skill level when aiming? If so, how much?

It only effects it against moving targets, and generally only up close. But in certain situations, it's very very shitty.
Michael Wittmann's gunner, Bobby Woll, was known to be an excellent Marksman.
He could hit targets at range even on the move.

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-10-2011, 14:10:40 »
The new turret must be pretty hard on noobs and sometimes they use the mouse anyway, which makes tanks look even more unrealistic... Wouldn't it be simpler to add something like cod 2 tanking with a delay on the turret ?

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgaEGnqW_BM&feature=related)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07-10-2011, 01:10:55 »
I pick the light tanks since then. Can't handle the acceleration when moving turrets. Have been killed several times while trying to aim at an enemy tank. I'm also annoyed when shooting infantry with the coaxial MG. The coaxial MG doesn't hit on the tip but somewhat besides it. But when I re-adjust, I turn the turret much to far. Yes, I'm using the mouse to turn the turret.

The only advantage I see is for infantry facing tanks. You get zooked thrice before killing that infantry guy with your coaxial MG.

However, I didn't practice much.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-10-2011, 12:10:36 »
Did you turn your mouse sensitivity all the way down to zero for tanks? If not, then theres your problem.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08-10-2011, 00:10:58 »
Actually I'm not really sure which of all those controls is for tanks. I only believe it is defaultPlayerInputControlMap while HelicopterPlayerInputControlMap did not have any effect on heavy tanks. So, no I did not add a sensitivity value for defaultPlayerInputControlMap while my HelicopterPlayerInputControlMap sensitivity is 4.2.

See, this is what it came down to: science. That is annoying me.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08-10-2011, 12:10:20 »
Well, you can change it from the options menu. It's the one that says 'tanks'.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08-10-2011, 14:10:34 »
Well, I can't find satisfying mounse sensitivity - i can't aim precisely, but when I lower 0.1 sensitivity, the turret speed becomes very slow, which I can't accept...  ::)