Author Topic: Picking the mod up again  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
Picking the mod up again
« on: 05-04-2009, 03:04:12 »
Righty, so I've returned to the mod and just wanted to say I'm having great fun. Played a couple maps, most of which I can't name (one had a CP named 150th Hole or something, another was Tobruk, another was Supercharge, then there was one with a huge walled fortress city, and one with a dry river separating Allies from Germans, and a spawn point at a burned-out tank), and mostly enjoyed them. Tanking, spotting for artillery, firing artillery, fighting on foot - it's all enjoyable and satisfying. Being more of a slow-paced player, I stuck with support roles like I usually do, so it was mostly minelaying, artillery spotting and such for me. Marking a target for then to watch it get blown apart by a mortar or howitzer is immensely satisfying, even though I find the artillery system of FH2 to be a little bit too easy for my liking - in my humble opinion the gun line should be more dependent on the forward observer to direct their shots, as opposed to now when they get a BF1942-style spy sat view of the target. Far from game-breaking, though.

Only downer was the two 25 pounder guys spamming non-stop for us to provide them targets, for then to ignore every target we gave them ;D .

[TEAM] [Person 1]: Artillery requesting a target.
{Safe-Keeper manages to get a marker onto an enemy tank}
[TEAM] [Safe-Keeper] Tank marked.
[TEAM] [Person 2]: Artillery requesting a target.
[TEAM] [Person 1]: Artillery requesting a target.

Try to imagine ten minutes straight of that. I managed to drown it out as it got really monotonous, but left the server when the lazy bums started pestering us to come all the way back to HQ to take down a German 109 for them, when one of them could've walked five meters to their Bofors and taken it down themselves. After all, it's not that they needed the 25 pounders for anything other than an excuse to fill the text chat with spam :D . What did they want, a limo to come over and drive them to the AA gun?

Overall, though, as said, it's a great mod. Deserts get a tad bit monotonous, but I can't complain - I love how the mod dares to make use of a new setting instead of just recycling overused settings (granted, they have to do that, too, and I'm looking forward to Omaha as it'll draw players, but you get my idea).

Good work, guys, keep it up!

I'll stop editing this post now, I swear ;) .
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 03:04:23 by Safe-Keeper »

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
Re: Picking the mod up again
« Reply #1 on: 05-04-2009, 10:04:40 »
Good to see players returning to the mod.

I like to think I'm decent enough with the artillery to be considered 'good'. Two things between spotter and gunner must be taken into account though:

1. It is immensely hard to hit a moving target. In addition, it is even harder to hit a target with an AP round, because of the lack of splash or area damage.

2. About 3/5 target requests are terrible spots - be it out of range, on a friendly or about-to-be-friendly area, or of no strategic value to be shelling. The worst ones though, are the type that come up as the edges of the map, because the spotter has targeted the actual object and not the ground underneath it, and it happens frequently.

I don't try to spam like a decent majority of players, but I like to let the spotters know 'frequently' that I'm available to rain hell. We can't make miracles happen, but we can be devastating when we get the chance to.

To add, I'd like to make a point of what artillery is good for:

Soft targets in a certain area. What I would describe as an 'area of high density' - be it a flag zone, line of defence, bunker, trench or airfield. Anywhere were splash damage can be used to good effect.

Pin-point soft targets - stationary objects e.g. flak guns, mortar guns, enemy artillery guns, stationary (and I mean camping, to some effect) tanks and APCs, anti-tank guns and MG nests.

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-04-2009, 16:04:59 »
Good to see players returning to the mod.
'Returning to' might be a bit of an overstatement when I only played it for about 15-45 minutes when I first tried it ;D .

Yes... well, just for clarification, I actually marked stationary tanks, that is tanks that were sitting still and had been sitting still for a good while ;) . I'm aware you can't hit active tanks easily, which is why I try not to mark them, unless they're undergoing repairs, sitting still guarding a position, or moving, but unlikely to move far from the position of the spot (OK, I admit that's a risky one).

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-04-2009, 17:04:18 »
The worst ones though, are the type that come up as the edges of the map, because the spotter has targeted the actual object and not the ground underneath it, and it happens frequently.

Could you explain this a little more? As I read it now, you say it is wrong to target a tank (for example), because you need to aim for the ground on which the tank is standing? So, to give a proper target of a stationary tank, I need to aim below it? If so, what to do when you can only see the turret because the rest of the tank is behind sloped terrain?

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-04-2009, 17:04:15 »
I put in numbers in your text so I can reply more precisely, don't sue me for manipulating quotes plz.

Could you explain this a little more? 1. As I read it now, you say it is wrong to target a tank (for example), because you need to aim for the ground on which the tank is standing? 2. So, to give a proper target of a stationary tank, I need to aim below it? 3. If so, what to do when you can only see the turret because the rest of the tank is behind sloped terrain?

1. T'is correct.
2. Ja.
3. You have to change your position so you can target the ground, there's nothing else you can do.
If the tank is standing just short behind a dune, try target the closest point on the ground to him you can see.
Btw, you can spot through things like walls either, I think. It might be worth a try spotting the ground underneath him "through" the wall if he is standing behind one.

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-04-2009, 18:04:04 »
Played a couple more rounds today, was a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be more teamwork. Everyone seemed to be doing their own thing, except when they needed help taking down planes or needed someone to spot for their big guns.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-04-2009, 18:04:32 »
Played a couple more rounds today, was a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be more teamwork. Everyone seemed to be doing their own thing, except when they needed help taking down planes or needed someone to spot for their big guns.

Play on WOLF Friday nights.

Kurt_Steiner, FC Clan, and etc. play late (my time anyway) Friday nights. Its a lot of fun. Great team work, nice people, and once again, its a blast!

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-04-2009, 18:04:55 »
I think there are two factors that lead to people not working together in FH2.

1) FH2 gives people the option NOT to work together. It's about freedom - though it's heavily encouraged, people simply dont HAVE to work together in FH2, like say, in PR. I think this is a good thing and a bad thing. On the good side it means as a soldier you're not totally helpless and can do significant damage on your own if you're good at what you do. The flipside is, of course, that everyone on the server chooses that route, which usually leads to epic failure.

2) The desert war makes teamwork much much more difficult and complicated than in other theaters of war. Let's face it... the only way to really win these desert maps is everyone attacking at once across the massive expanses of desert. Because most flags in FH2 (currently) are so far apart, you have to have a vehicle to effectively do anything in some cases. Thus, one man takes a tank and drives off while two others are stuck in spawn. The guy in the tank gets blown up right away because he's alone, then the tank spawns, and another lone wolfer grabs the tank and runs off. It requires alot more coordination than that to pull off solid victories in FH2's larger desert maps.

I think this is just a natural part of online gaming given the circumstances. Let's think back for a moment -- really how much did people really work together on your average FH1 public server? In my opinion, it was generally worse than it is in FH2 right now. At least FH2 has a squad system... that alone greatly improves the situation. I think it's simply a matter of time to wait for new theaters that happen to allow for easier teamplay. Until then, try to find some dedicated "few good men" on the servers to take care of business.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-04-2009, 20:04:29 »
The worst ones though, are the type that come up as the edges of the map, because the spotter has targeted the actual object and not the ground underneath it, and it happens frequently.

Could you explain this a little more? As I read it now, you say it is wrong to target a tank (for example), because you need to aim for the ground on which the tank is standing? So, to give a proper target of a stationary tank, I need to aim below it? If so, what to do when you can only see the turret because the rest of the tank is behind sloped terrain?

If you aim at the object (for example, a tank) it will actually target the ground behind it pending on your angle and distance. The BF2 engine only allows you to target marker the terrain and not an actual object itself. Same applies for statics.

If you target the object itself the target marker registers but 'overshoots' the intended target, instead giving you the typical plain bumpy landscape which is, in fact, usually an out of bounds area on the map. The trajectory continues from your point of view (again, pending on distance and angle) until it hits something...so it will continue until your view trajectory and surface terrain meets.

Just remember to target the ground below whatever it is you're aiming at and you'll get it.

If it's a troublesome target such as a hull-down tank like you said for example, just try to imagine were the ground under it would be...or target next to it were a patch of ground is fully visible.
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 20:04:15 by NoCoolOnesLeft »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-04-2009, 22:04:43 »
Ah, thanks. Very clarifying.

Offline Niebler

• View Profile
    • 130th Panzer Lehr Division
« Reply #10 on: 07-04-2009, 01:04:48 »
Considering how 'amazing' they made the african theater compared to what it was in FH1, I cant even imagine how Europe or the Eastern Front will be
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-04-2009, 05:04:15 »
Considering how 'amazing' they made the african theater compared to what it was in FH1, I cant even imagine how Europe or the Eastern Front will be
Soooo true. The fact that people even populate the servers with FH2's deserts every day shows how much fun the devs managed to make it. My god could you imagine FH1 running nothing but the desert maps? Can you say empty servers?

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07-04-2009, 07:04:16 »
Soooo true. The fact that people even populate the servers with FH2's deserts every day shows how much fun the devs managed to make it. My god could you imagine FH1 running nothing but the desert maps? Can you say empty servers?

Aaaah... must.... resist....aaah

Ok I can't keep it to myself. Normandy blows big time, like an old hooker. You get sick of all the green so fast that you won't be playing anymore. Also the new weapons are mere ripoffs of BF1943, the devs have turned lazier than Dice. Bah who wants to test this crap...

*biggrin*...Normandy will be the best thing you have ever seen. ^^ The maps are the most beautiful thing to behold and in the beginning you will die more often because you are standing around amazed at the scenery than in an actual fight. Not to speak of the big cats finally making their appearance. ^^
« Last Edit: 07-04-2009, 07:04:13 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07-04-2009, 09:04:09 »

1. It is immensely hard to hit a moving target. In addition, it is even harder to hit a target with an AP round, because of the lack of splash or area damage.

You can destroy most of the tanks with HE-rounds. It is pretty satisfying  ;D

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07-04-2009, 10:04:01 »
jup i think everything smaller than a panzer IV (or III) can be destroyed by one or more HE shots from arty.

AP is only neded for the heavy tanks like matilda & valentine, tiger etc.
Live Long & Die Happy