Author Topic: FH2 Modding Q&A  (Read 143186 times)

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 Modding Q&A
« Reply #990 on: 15-11-2017, 02:11:55 »
that 100% usual. Painting textures is best done with BF2 T-Paint or Photoshop and then doing details in the Editor.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: 15-11-2017, 05:11:52 »
Are you using the fixed exe?

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: 15-11-2017, 15:11:10 »
Hm. Perhaps not. Gonna try that.

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: 19-11-2017, 16:11:45 »
The fixed exe works wonderful. Thanks to Spitfire05!

How many objects can a map have before it runs into problems/performance hits? Does open houses require more performance? Should I use more low poly houses?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: 19-11-2017, 16:11:25 »
The lod houses (which look really crap) are only for the oob area. To create nice looking backgrounds, basically.
You should always limit the number of open houses, both for performance reasons (since more open houses also automatically means more draw calls for furniture) and to prevent having too low player density.
Generally speaking, houses load textures from different texture sheets, depending on which theatre they are from. Bulge and Normandy houses can usually be used together, but if you mix in Africa or Eastern Front stuff you might end up loading lots of different sheets, affecting performance.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: 19-11-2017, 19:11:43 »
Thanks for excellent answer!

Can I divide the control point? That is have the flag pole on a more aesthetically pleasing position while having the control zone on a more gamebalanced position?

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: 19-11-2017, 19:11:58 »
Yes, in the normal tweak menu you can change the position of the flagzone using x, y, z coordinates. You can even do really wonky stuff with that, like how on St Vith you can't cap the Friedensstrasse bridge from UNDER the bridge, only from the top.
« Last Edit: 19-11-2017, 19:11:33 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: 20-11-2017, 01:11:07 »
I see! Thanks!

jagged black borders appear between textures is this normal or a sign of something is wrong? I can erase them by continuously and carefully paint near the edges.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: 20-11-2017, 01:11:39 »
lightmaps? those type of things (that are supposed to blend with the terrain) like flat surfaces and trenches, should be removed before doing terrain lightmaps, and then lightmapped separately afaik

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: 20-11-2017, 02:11:34 »
Aha. I have created that (The shadows and stuff) earlier just to test the map out ingame. Is there any way to remove it from the editor again?

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: 20-11-2017, 02:11:07 »
hmmm...  I think that is between detailed textures on the terrain.  I usually get that early when making a map.  Either generating low detail map or putting a quick (low) terrain lightmap on gets rid of that, makes UG work right and fixes some other weird problems.  I always do both after adding the first texture and colormaps to a new map.  Later you should remove those trenches and things before your final terrain lightmap.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: 20-11-2017, 18:11:51 »

My resolved questions about the black jagged edges
hmmm...  I think that is between detailed textures on the terrain.  I usually get that early when making a map.  Either generating low detail map or putting a quick (low) terrain lightmap on gets rid of that, makes UG work right and fixes some other weird problems.  I always do both after adding the first texture and colormaps to a new map.  Later you should remove those trenches and things before your final terrain lightmap.

It is only on high resolution textures. I have generated a low detail map as well as low terrain lightmap. UG is undergrowth, correct? I haven't touched overgrowth or undergrowth yet.

I generated the three first layers based on height in a program (bf2 tpaint I believe). (mountains painted on highest, grass medium, sand lowest altitude. Later I manually repainted the grass in a more "virile" color because I felt the grass color I first picked looked too dead. The lowest sand layer also covered too much, so I painted much of it too with grass. I Don't know if that can have something to do with it, but I try to give as much information as possible.

Low resolution looks okay (apart from the horrible low resolution)

High resolutions with small jagged edges with the big square plates that does not match
Both pictures are from the same place.

The map has undergone its fair share of crashes. Including crashing while saving a couple of times.

The small black edges are visible through fog

I also tried to setting the colortiling in the layers from 1/1 to 0/0, but that didn't seem to work either.

Thanks for being patient with me.

EDIT: Never mind, I fixed it! I just deleted the lightmaps folder and just in case replaced it with a 100% blank lightmap from a fresh map. I am extremely elated. I thought 70+ hours had gone in the drain!
« Last Edit: 21-11-2017, 02:11:53 by Hjaldrgud »

Offline SadCamelion

• View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: 26-11-2017, 14:11:34 »
If I unpack the maps in the levels folder and load them into the editor, all terrain and static objects are there, but there don´t seem to be any vehicles visible ??? How to change that?

And if there are different versions for multiplayer and singleplayer for the maps, how can I edit both? for example the SP and MP versions of Mount Olympus.

Thanks for help in advance;)

There aren't enough Italian tanks.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: 26-11-2017, 16:11:40 »
If I unpack the maps in the levels folder and load them into the editor, all terrain and static objects are there, but there don´t seem to be any vehicles visible ??? How to change that?

And if there are different versions for multiplayer and singleplayer for the maps, how can I edit both? for example the SP and MP versions of Mount Olympus.

Create a new folder inside the folder of the map you want to edit called "editor". Then go into the "gamemodes" folder and pick the map mode you want to edit. For 64 player conquest, go into the  "gpm_cq" folder, then "64" folder and copy the "gameplayobjects.con" into your newly created "editor" folder.

I have a problem. When opening a map I know crashes to find out what is causing the crash I get spammed with "more than one controlpoint with controlpoint id 276". I HIGHLY suspect this has something to do with the crashing ingame, but none of the controlpoint id's are the same, nor numbered 276. Any ideas what that could be?

Offline SadCamelion

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: 26-11-2017, 20:11:31 »

Create a new folder inside the folder of the map you want to edit called "editor". Then go into the "gamemodes" folder and pick the map mode you want to edit. For 64 player conquest, go into the  "gpm_cq" folder, then "64" folder and copy the "gameplayobjects.con" into your newly created "editor" folder.

I have a problem. When opening a map I know crashes to find out what is causing the crash I get spammed with "more than one controlpoint with controlpoint id 276". I HIGHLY suspect this has something to do with the crashing ingame, but none of the controlpoint id's are the same, nor numbered 276. Any ideas what that could be?

thanks for the swift answer, it works :)
There aren't enough Italian tanks.