Author Topic: Picture of the Day (Other eras)  (Read 914295 times)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Picture of the Day (Other eras)
« Reply #7620 on: 26-08-2014, 18:08:40 »
If i am not mistaken he died 1 day after the bloodiest day of WW1, in the news they say that in a day over 42 000 people where dead. as a result of the higher up not understanding why they could not break the lines (since the enemy had machine guns) and instead of breaking of the attack kept sending in more troops.

Anyway, a wikipedia article about it, failing to mention any French and Belgian troops though. He must have died during this battle since the date is correct, and the line on the map runs straight through the town where he died.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mons
My great grandfather was captured at Mons.  It's essentially a mythic battle in the UK, being Britain's first major engagement since the Crimea.

It is, I understand, quite the myth at that:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mons-Myth-Reassessment-Battle/dp/0752452479

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7621 on: 26-08-2014, 19:08:08 »
As seen on reddit :P

not a picture, but a video of rockets being intercepted over Israel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e9UhLt_J0g&feature=youtu.be
seems legit, interesting watch
Awesome videos of an even awesomer machine. I love those Iron Dome videos
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: 26-08-2014, 20:08:40 »
Judging from the fact, that one Iron Dome rocket, cost about 50k US$ and two are shot to intercept one Qssam rocket, you see approximately 1.5 million $ being used to intercept 15 Qssam rockets worth of about 15000$. Yep, seems legit.

EDIT: My memory failed me on the costs.
« Last Edit: 26-08-2014, 20:08:57 by Oberst »

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: 26-08-2014, 22:08:58 »
I think they only fire 2 at high risk missiles. Secondly, I think it's still profitable if you calculate the saved costs. If a missile hits, you also have quite a lot of damage, and even more important, your populations feels unsafe.
So is it expensive? Yes, but I think it's the best alternative.
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: 28-08-2014, 00:08:30 »
Plus the added value of negating one of the enemies most powerful psychological/harassment weapons.

Is the Iron Dome 100% effective? No of course not, and there's a lot of differing perspectives on what the system's kill percentage of enemy rockets is (the actual number is probably classified). But I'm of the opinion that investment into a truly defensive weapon is quite worthwhile.

Yep, does indeed seem legit. Not everything can be quantified financially.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7625 on: 28-08-2014, 01:08:51 »
In modern times like these, you'll find conspiracy theorists everywhere. Concerning the Iron Dome, they came up with a clever idea:

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/news/middle-east/12772-israeli-expert-says-iron-dome-defence-is-a-hoax

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: 28-08-2014, 11:08:56 »
Judging from the fact, that one Iron Dome rocket, cost about 50k US$ and two are shot to intercept one Qssam rocket, you see approximately 1.5 million $ being used to intercept 15 Qssam rockets worth of about 15000$. Yep, seems legit.

Saving human lives should not have anything to do with costs. For the same reason we would send ambulances, police cars and fire engines (at least 20 people) to a single car crash with only one victim.

Besides that, the system calculates where the rockets will actually hit and only intercepts those who would cause damage.
« Last Edit: 28-08-2014, 11:08:18 by Sander93 »

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: 28-08-2014, 12:08:44 »

Children hold guns as they celebrate with others Palestinians the announcement that Hamas and Israel have agreed to an open-ended ceasefire on August 26. (RT)
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: 28-08-2014, 16:08:19 »

Sinking of the Mainz, Heligoland Blight, August 28, 1914.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: 31-08-2014, 21:08:36 »

Iraqi Army

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: 31-08-2014, 22:08:50 »

Ukrainian volunteers digging trenches outside the city of Mariupol in preparation of the attack announced by Separatists, Mariupol, Ukraine.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: 01-09-2014, 20:09:27 »
Ukrainian rebels

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: 02-09-2014, 01:09:02 »

Ukrainian forces on the move.

Accordingly to high NATO-generals Kiev has lost the battle for Ukraine. The ukrainian assault has been halted and repelled, with several ukrainian units being trapped in pockets or taken prisoner. The ukrainian army lost all liberty of action and is forced to retreat while the moral within the troops seems to be broken. As Separatists opened a new frontline at Nowoasowsk, ukrainian units are foced to relocate in order to defend the city of Mariupol. After all, the ukrainian army does not have any operational reserves left to counter separatist attacks currently.

Putin is probably right when he threatens that he'd be in Kiev within two weeks. I think it might be even less. About 20 russian battalions are stacked along the ukrainian border. It seems like there is no other choice for the 45 million Ukrainians to accpt the dictate of peace by 4000 armed Separatists backed up by Russia.

Biiviz

« Reply #7633 on: 02-09-2014, 13:09:50 »
And Putin's view of the west as weak is confirmed. He can do whatever he wants.

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7634 on: 02-09-2014, 13:09:31 »

Our governement is gonna buy new jets. It's a competition between the F-35, F/A-18, JAS-39, Eurofighter and the Rafale. I'm hoping we'll get the Eurofighter, but I assume we won't. But as long as we don't get the F-35, we're okay I guess. Only downside, today it was leaked that the requirement is made to match the F-35. Our minster of defense is a huge fan of the F-35...
F16 --> F18 isn't enough of an improvement to warrant a new plane in my opinion, so not too much of a fan on that one
F16--> Rafale: Rafale is decent and no-one wants to buy it, so the french are now doing anything to get at least a few sold. So with some luck, Belgium might get them so cheap that they are worth buying
F16-->Eurofighter: Might not be neutral in this since i'm a Eurofighter fanboy, but in my opinion it has all apart from stealth (huge payloads, good speed, good maneuvres, good detection). And stealth seems to be overrated anyway
F16-->JAS39: I guess the JAS39 is the plane that matches the aim of the F-16 best. A cheap multirole plane that can do what it has to do. So as replacement of the F16 in our air force, probably the best option
F16-->F35: Please no. I think i don't have a write a whole page here about the shittyness of the F35 and its insane costs. I'd honestly prefer to see our F-16s replaced by MIG-21s than F35s
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso