Author Topic: Project Reality Online testing with 128/256/512 players  (Read 32142 times)

Offline Hellcat

• View Profile
Re: Project Reality Online testing with 128 players
« Reply #240 on: 10-02-2011, 16:02:27 »
Problem with IL-2 is not really hardware; haven't checked in a couple of years but back when all populated servers were running with complex engine management on. Now, I don't mind realistic flight model, it's in fact not that difficult to master and it actually makes planes better balanced (ie. Zero no longer WTFPWNS everything as it does on "relaxed" settings), but the amount of pilot workload that comes with CEM varies from negligible (Automatgerät, durr) to ludicrous. Also, limited fuel is a two-edged sword, dogfights tend to be very short with it turned on. (Well, even shorter with engine overheat on.) Ideal server would probably be thus limited ammunition (so that you at least pretend to aim), fully realistic flight model, but no CEM, overheat or limited fuel, but I don't remember seeing such servers.

As a pure flight game, even against AI IL-2 is much more fun than any BF2 derivative, since BF2's lunar physics are just wrong, and looking around is a bother.

However, I don't remember IL-2 supporting even 64, much less 128 players on same server. Being a better game would matter little if the alternative would be such massive dogfights with the FH2 community.

Well, I've been flying Il-2 since 2004 and as far as I remember there were servers that allowed 128 players. I just checked available servers and many support up to 99 people.
And you can always place hundreds of AI planes if you have the rig to run it. AI is quite a challenge, especially for beginners.

And could you please explain what is a short dogfight for you?

Offline SchwererGustav

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 10-02-2011, 20:02:30 »
I played at the weekend on 128 server there is no lag(with good con). The only probs are the nametags and squad sice thats the only problems with a good server  ;).

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 10-02-2011, 20:02:26 »
honest IMO if its atleast not given a shot then its foolish.  given that someone actually obtains the code or figures out how to do it.

and i notice that its mostly the beta testers who side against it.. for reason idfk. but it seems a good majority of the public like the idea.

@ azreal no i wont give up.
@ kelmola i agree 100% about benifits from player numbers on large maps
@ vernah your a nay sayer
@ Homer Jay i disagree with your statement that you do not need the super largest maps to play 128 players.
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

azreal

« Reply #243 on: 10-02-2011, 21:02:36 »
and i notice that its mostly the beta testers who side against it.. for reason idfk. but it seems a good majority of the public like the idea.

That's because we tend to think in terms of how much work this will require since we know how the mod actually operates internally.

The public on the other hand, does not know this, and tends to just suggest things. Look how many people suggest things that aren't possible on the vBF2 engine.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 10-02-2011, 22:02:18 »
Well, I for one would very much welcome the possibility of playing 128 players (even on smaller maps) as I personally love constant meat grinding along with frontline feeling. I just hate to get into a flag zone and not find a single enemy or the other way around - defend a position that no one wants to attack.

I think that people from'the internal' are bit sceptical since we currently have many issues to solve and we simply can't bother with something we have no influence on.

Offline Vernah

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 10-02-2011, 23:02:16 »
I'm not a nay sayer Neighbor, I support 128 players. I just don't see the Fh2 dev team directly supporting it themselves. I would cry in tears of happiness and post it on youtube for the devs to prove me wrong, but for the most part they say nay because of balance reasons. Plus in order for it to work they would need to make smaller updates on a monthly, bi-monthly or tri-monthly basis to fix balance issues and the like.

So yeah, if we do get a hand on the code I have no doubt the tourneys will use them or even public servers to have some gay ol fun. But the Fh2 dev team strives for uber quality and perfection, and won't release an update with >64 players unless it's of the same quality of previous updates.

Do I see >64 players in the future for Fh2? I do hope for it and that we get our hands on that code, but it will be in our hands to implement it for our own personal fun than official 128 player supported maps. Basically, we won't see map types of 128 players with the signature of the fh2 dev team on it for a long long time if at all.

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 11-02-2011, 04:02:45 »

That's because we tend to think in terms of how much work this will require since we know how the mod actually operates internally.

The public on the other hand, does not know this, and tends to just suggest things. Look how many people suggest things that aren't possible on the vBF2 engine.

i understand that, but this is possible.  has any one tried speaking to this man to try and obtain the code or how he did it? if i knew how to code or anything i would try, but i am not skilled in computer coding skills and such..

i mean i guess if yall want me to ask this guy i would, i feel ill get shot down but.. you never know.. or perhaps if he would be willing to help us out. maybe put him into contact with one of the devs? azreal?

i honestly think like i said before that it would be foolish not to look into vernah, balance reasons? thats something you fix along the way sure every FH update needs to be uber good before release, but i think that the addition of more than 64 players would be something to better the mod, if they dont see that then they are blind.  balance or not that can always be fixed.. add this gun here add this tank here and remove this halftrack there.. boom balance done. or perhaps you mean map wise.. well that can be looked at.. yes things take time.. how long did it take for normandy? a bit eh? and now the rate at which Fh is going is being quickened.. this is an idea that could help bring more players, more fun.. too good of an opprotunity to pass up. or atleast try or figure out the coding and let it loose so that servers can try it out and tinker with it..

Azreal, yea i might not know what goes on internally.. nor the public.. but.. somethings suggested are possible.. this is one of them.. it is possible..and if its being put down for balance reasons, i honestly think thats a bad bad excuse cause as i just said things can always be changed around.. would it be a pain in the ass yes.. would it take time.. yes.. would it be worth it.. with out a doubt. and if i could do it i would if i had the skills to code programs and model stuff or map..

devs should look into this.. if passed up with out even a try.. your only digging a deeper grave. opportunity to gain more players is right there for the taking. and to make more fun.  sure it takes time.. you post that on the planetbattlefield website and player will flock over..  i did  a search to see if maybe this code appeared any where on the internet maybe this guy put it up somewhere for public usage.. but when i did i found plenty of forums not just PR but other sites that put up PR 128 PLAYERS!!!! YA.. .. go look for your selves.. i think if FH did it too they would possibly get the same response.
« Last Edit: 11-02-2011, 06:02:39 by Neighbor Kid »

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 11-02-2011, 10:02:09 »
Lots of text which hints to a motivated person

NK if you are so enthusiastic about this why not direct your energy towards getting the code public and then keep buggering every FH2 server admin, until one of them ups the current 64 limit on their server. I'd say 128 is a bit high for the current large maps, but 80 player would do.

What you don't want to do is keep nagging the devs who are making awesome maps as we speak that will let you forget all about your desire for more players.

Summarizing:
Let's try to have server admins to up the player limit on current large maps (El Al, Gazala, etc)

And let Devs work on the new awesome maps and then maybe then (in FH 2.5 for example) they have time and motivation to redesign the current maps.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 13-02-2011, 19:02:20 »
the code could possibly be looked at when PR released there version of more players.. NO i am not suggesting of stealing it.  but looking at it to create something similar would be the idea.

Offline Vicious

• I belong to Naughty Club
  • Panty Buncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 19-02-2011, 02:02:13 »
sorry to bump but my internet was off and i have every right to this discussion after my post a couple months ago.

AWESOME.

TOTALER KREIG, HERE I COME.
So they are so infallible yet they can't even communicate and work with each other... sounds like politicians.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: 04-03-2011, 16:03:58 »
BUMPING FOR GREAT JUSTICE

Hear ye! Hear ye! Your prayers to the Great Old Ones have not been in vain! Finally, the stars are right and the madness can begin: there's now a 128 player FH2 server online. Oh ye of little faith, you may say that you will still play on hslan or 762 or WaW or Wolf or 79th or whatever, that you do not like the lag or whatever, but in the end, you will all succumb! Once you see the player number slowly but steadily creeping up from the sacred number of 64 you will find the call more and more difficult to resist.

IÄ IÄ FH2 FHTAGN!

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 04-03-2011, 16:03:55 »
What the fock, is this real... I mean I see it in the server list and as a matter of fact I'm connecting to the server now but wtf :D

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 04-03-2011, 16:03:25 »
wonder why my treadh got closed, this one is about the PR 128 server, not the FH2 one ><

Offline Capten_C

• Well well well well well well well
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #253 on: 04-03-2011, 16:03:45 »
Just been on the server for a walkabout, will be back online later tonight, lets get a hslan v 762 war going this eve!  ;D
LEGENDARY FORGOTTEN HOPE 2 ROUNDS!!! >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtJF9fL1YI

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 04-03-2011, 16:03:09 »
dam' why there has to be a F|H battle tonight ;D