Author Topic: Are infantry machine guns useless?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Are infantry machine guns useless?
« Reply #15 on: 14-09-2014, 10:09:36 »
^ Guys, the drivers are broken, the devs can't fix them...

Although the effect can still be beefed up... It just wouldn't be fair for those that have to suffer through it while others just one shot everyone in spite of 20 rounds coming their way every second.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14-09-2014, 16:09:47 »

I wonder why people can't understand this. Do you really think that devs didn't try to fix them?

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14-09-2014, 17:09:45 »

I wonder why people can't understand this. Do you really think that devs didn't try to fix them?

The devs also thought that it would be impossible to implement mobille artillery back in the day.

Yet,  someone stepped up and solved the problem.

There is always a solution.   ;)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14-09-2014, 17:09:49 »
There is always a solution.   ;)
Yes, switching AA off is a solution for now. I would not expect a fix for that, since devs tried and failed.

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16-09-2014, 20:09:44 »

Didn't know that was the issue actually, haven't been keeping up to date the last years.

I thought it was cause of all the complaints from Jumjum and the others who hated it - both cause they got sick from it, and cause they couldnt focus on killing.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16-09-2014, 22:09:42 »
Way back when my memory tells me that it was removed because it was frame rate dependent, so a person with 200 fps suffered only one-tenth of what a person with 20 fps suffered. No talk of AA problems back then (though this was before the filters and recommendation to use driver-forced AA instead of in-game AA).

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19-09-2014, 17:09:53 »
It's still there is you turn off AA...

Offline ctbear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-10-2014, 23:10:36 »
Lots of MGs need you to get down and deploy the bipod.................and then you can shoot

Offline TGK

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12-10-2014, 08:10:29 »
Well after battle number three over at the World At War community campaign, I have to slightly change my stance. Deploying a Vickers tripod on top of a church on a mountainside town allowed me to have a superior view and range of fire, and thanks to the long fog distance on the map it meant I could open fire on approaching vehicles and infantry quite effectively. Still wasn't super easy taking down infantrymen running around even as close as 100m, but I will concede it was pretty damned useful.

Of course in the same game there was an enemy open topped anti-air vehicle far away almost at the fog line, I had a rifle and lined up a shot at where I thought the gunner would be sitting and indeed sniped a man off of a gun from 300m away with a basic rifle. So stationary targets manning guns are still damned easy to kill with a rifle.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12-10-2014, 17:10:22 »
You do realize that 300m against a stationary target is an extremely easy shot for WW2 era rifles, right?

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12-10-2014, 17:10:56 »
Hell i can put 10 rounds at a target 400 m away with an M4.

My only complain with inf machine guns is simply the fact that since there is no suppression effect they cannot fulfill their role of suppressing the enemy. Right now as someone cleverly put most of them are rifles with a higher rate of fire.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12-10-2014, 17:10:17 »

Everyone can hit a target 400m away with an M4 platform weapon.... Try hitting a head sized target that is to some extent "camouflaged", or hell. just a head without anything with an 7.92mm weapon. Now i dont belive you will.

Now at the same range, a human sized target, most likely moving. Now i really dont belive you will. So all in all its a bad argument you served us.

Btw, it is sort of hard to even get your sight corrected at a human sized target at this range aswell.
« Last Edit: 12-10-2014, 18:10:44 by sn00x »

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12-10-2014, 18:10:21 »

Everyone can hit a target 400m away with an M4 platform weapon.... Try hitting a head sized target that is to some extent "camouflaged", or hell. just a head without anything with an 7.92mm weapon. Now i dont belive you will.

Now at the same range, a human sized target, most likely moving. Now i really dont belive you will. So all in all its a bad argument you served us.

Btw, it is sort of hard to even get your sight corrected at a human sized target at this range aswell.

Get me a shooting range and a rifle and i bet you 10 bucks i will.

I did not argue, i agreed with Mudra who said it was easy to hit a stationary target at 300m with a ww2 rifle and added that if i can hit it with a weapon that was made for cqb (shorter version and lighter than the M16a2) then with a long rifle will be even easier.

Offline TGK

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13-10-2014, 01:10:18 »
Of course, it'd be just a little harder to do that if you had been manoeuvring around a battlefield with bullets whizzing around, were tired and carrying a fair bit of webbing and knew that if you missed the enemy would know you were nearby and would be pissed. Things that aren't reflected by the rock steady, aim perfect rifle hands of your soldier ingame.
« Last Edit: 13-10-2014, 01:10:12 by TGK »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13-10-2014, 05:10:59 »
Of course, it'd be just a little harder to do that if you had been manoeuvring around a battlefield with bullets whizzing around, were tired and carrying a fair bit of webbing and knew that if you missed the enemy would know you were nearby and would be pissed. Things that aren't reflected by the rock steady, aim perfect rifle hands of your soldier ingame.

Quite, and that's where FH2 misses the mark with the sad failure of suppression shaders due to BF2's own patching.  But otherwise, if you take the time to line up a shot with a WW2 era rifle, anything up to 600 yards is fairly straightforward to hit.  Average range for basic training at the time WAS 600 yards, and still is today in the US military, even with our significantly weaker and less accurate rifles.