Poll

When you make a kill or are killed what should or shouldn't be displayed on the screen (HUD)?

Show who you just killed.
57 (17.9%)
Don't show who you just killed.
15 (4.7%)
Only show who you killed if you killed a friendly (team kill).
30 (9.4%)
Add delay before your kill is confirmed.
18 (5.6%)
Show the person who killed you.
59 (18.5%)
Do not show who killed you.
16 (5%)
Show who just killed you for frienldy fire (team kill) only.
20 (6.3%)
Show which specific weapon (K98, Lee Enfield MK III, ....) you were killed with.
47 (14.7%)
Show general type of weapon (tank, airplane, handheld, ...) you were killed with.
16 (5%)
Don't show weapon that killed you at all.
17 (5.3%)
Show weapon that killed you if you were killed by friendly fire (team kill) only.
13 (4.1%)
Add delay before you are shown who or what killed you
11 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Kill messages: Your stance  (Read 11285 times)

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: Kill messages: Your stance
« Reply #15 on: 11-04-2009, 19:04:05 »
What the fuck is it that people have with PR all the time?
This is a suggestion that stands for its own, not a "I saw this in PR and I thought"-suggestion.
And the server always gets confirmation. Me at least, I play for myself, not to show others on the server "Look, I killed one with the bayonett!"  ;)

It's not that we have something to PR or we portray a stance PR=bad. The fact is that PR is the most realistic/simulator-like game mage on the same engine and we use it as a point to reffer to. At least it's the way I see it.

And it's too bad you're 'playing for yourself' as playing for your teammates and people you know and like is sooooo much more rewarding.  8)

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-04-2009, 19:04:57 »
By server, I meant the people playing in the server. I mean what good is a tractor killing spree if everyone else doesn't see it and lol.

"playing for your teammates and people you know and like is sooooo much more rewarding."

:-)

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11-04-2009, 19:04:07 »
And it's too bad you're 'playing for yourself' as playing for your teammates and people you know and like is sooooo much more rewarding.  8)

That's not what I meant. Firstable, a bayonett kill doesn't help your teammates more than a rifle kill. And I do enjoy playing with people I know, may it be in real life or just from the community. However, with those, I join a squad or teamspeak, and can go all WOOHOO DID YOU SEE THAT I CUT HIS EAR OF WITH MY FLARE GUN as much as I want.  :P I don't need all the guys on the server to know (and seriously, practically none cares, anyway).

Offline GooGeL

• FH-Betatester
  • Shedmaster
    • View Profile
    • WOLFgaming.net
« Reply #18 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:19 »
Well, I don't mind getting rid of it as a regular player.

I'm just worried about how it's going to be when it comes to taking care of the server as a admin.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:03 »
I like it the way it is now. But I also wouldn´t mind if you´d remove them. ^^
Bascially: I don´t know and I don´t care ^^
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:43 »
Well... must be easier, if you only see the teamkills? I mean, TK's wouldn't be burried under all the regular killmessage spam.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Danger X

• I wish we stayed neutral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:09 »
It is a game after all, and in games it's all about scores. Some games can get away with it (some mods can even get away withy it), but when I play a game, I want to know who shot me, and who I shot.

Ever been killed at the same time you killed your enemy? I want to know if I did, so I know my death wasn't in vein.

Cheers
As my tutor, old Bubbleface, used to say:"Make love and be merry, for tomorrow you may catch some disgusting skin disease."

Rowan Atkinson as The Black Adder

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:39 »
I agree with all of the Original Poster's points in this thread.
Show general type of weapon (tank, airplane, handheld, ...) you were killed with.
Awesome idea. This is really the only info you need - are you under fire from infantry, an AT gun, a tank, or artillery?

Fine as is, besides whats the point to killing infantry with the bayonet, the knife, Bare fists, the recon plane, the UVC, static objects, the ATR, the smoke grenade, etc etc. If you don't get confirmation of the kill, the guy you killed doesn't get confirmation of the kill, and the server doesn't get confirmation.
The point is that you get points for killing them, they die and have to wait to respawn, and you thereby help your team.

It's nonsensical in my eyes to not want a new feature because it'd mean that you wouldn't get glory when you make a strange kill. That's not what FH2 is all about at all.
« Last Edit: 11-04-2009, 20:04:42 by Safe-Keeper »

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:19 »

Why did I vote the way I did? :
- Option 3 (Only show if you killed a friendly)
- Option  5 (Show the person who killed you)
- Option 10 (Don't show the weapon that killed you at all.

Because when you kill:
-  I think that giving away who killed you spoils a lot of information, it removes the "Did I ot him or did I not?" factor completely.  That ain't fun. It's much more fun to find out you wasted time waiting for an enemy that is long gone or long dead or that manages to kill you 'cause you thought you cleared the area...

Yooopie wasting time is fun (Sorry for sarcasm here but I couldn't help it). The concept of fun is a personal thing the way I see it. And even if not knowing if you killed someone is not 'fun' (thrilling might be the word) it is definately rewarding (definately in time) in a way.

- Not showing any kills you make is not good, people could end up making TK after TK without realizing, especially if they are new to the game.
- Thus it would be important to tell people when they make a TK but otherwise don't inform them of kills.

Hell yeah you're right.

- Sure, people could check the scoreboard to see if they got a higher score but this would require some time, take your eye of the battlefield (good for the enemy if you did not kill him) and thus would generally reduce the times people use this "game exploit of information" to find out if they made a kill. Especially in a tense situation you don't go and check your score.

Making a logical chain if kill-msgs are an exploit then scoreboard are exploit too and even going further killing someone becouse he was cheking how well is he doing is an exploit as well. It's a matter in drawing the line what things are exploits and which are features that help us in being aware of our surroundings just like senses do IRL.

- It would be nice if your score would be update when the people you killed respawn, probably not possible though and might cause problems at the end of the round.

If no-kill-msg would be immplemented. Yeah.

Because when you are killed:
- It's nice to know who killed you, just for the element of fun ("haha, damn it jumjum killed be again, bugger!").

And also you know that you were killed by a person, not some anonymous guy.

- It makes it easier to report a name when somebody kills you in an unfair manner ("What the? That's an exploit the guy just used!! Damn you Flippy you cheat! *reports to admin*).

And that is good, isn't it?

- Showing which exact weapon killed you gives away too much info, you will know that a sniper got you and thus look for him. But how the hell would you know a sniper got you unles you saw the guy with your own eyes?! This causes people hunting for snipers and other hidden enemies which is "unfair".

This might be the point I agree with except for the 'unfair' part. Both sides have the same abillity to know what weapon made their demise and that is fair. It just makes harder for a sniper to do his job but it shouldn't be too easy in the first place.

- SHowing the general type of weapon could be an option, though even this may sometimes give you too much info unless you actually saw it with your own eyes what killed you.  Atleast you won't know a sniper rifle got you but just a "handweapon"  which could be anything basically.

I see a way for an exploit  here: someone spawncamps with a tank and you don't even know what killed you (in general) and you can't act accordingly (get AT kit) unill it's too late.

- Not showing the weapon that killed you at all prevents you knowing too much completely. Unless you saw it with your own eyes you won't know what got you. SO if you are killed from behind you won't be able to yell over team chat "Watchout, a tank just shot me from behind!" , it could have been a grenade, mortar or arty impact or even infantry...  thus keeping up the element of suprise and keeping you guessing. You might think a tank got you, take "approperiate"  measures on respawn only to find out you were wrong (or you will never find out at all... hah!).

The same case as in previous quote. Only thing I'd like to add that I don't see amusing to keep players 'in the dark'.

Conclusion:
With this setup people know when they make a TK, are TK-ed and have to guess which weapon got them unless they saw it with there own eys. They will know who got them for fun (it's a game afterall) and fairness (reporting cheaters).  An acceptable alternative would be to show the general type of weapon that killed you.

I would accept with all those points as they're logical and made for the sake of gameplay if it wouldn't be the fact that FH is not the type of a game I see it go well with.

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:41 »
Not knowing if you've killed a guy adds a lot of depth to game play as it forces you to either watch over the area/spot where you last saw him, or go check, whereas with kill messages on, it's just "target killed, moving on to next".

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #25 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:10 »
Well if nobody sees your great achievement of killing people with tractor, bicycle or knife what is the point in doing it then? Then I'll just kill, kill, kill. It adds some extra fun partcicularleiflyyyy (still can't spell that) when your playing in a team. Just my humble opinion ofcourse.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:49 »
What the fuck is it that people have with PR all the time?
This is a suggestion that stands for its own, not a "I saw this in PR and I thought"-suggestion.
And the server always gets confirmation. Me at least, I play for myself, not to show others on the server "Look, I killed one with the bayonett!"  ;)

All I said was ''Is FH2 going all PR?''.

The facts are, as it stands, Project Reality has an alternate kill message display than FH2. It was a simple reference, I could of used any other mod if the circumstance were the same. In FH2, you get the notice (and gratification if it appeals to you), in PR...you don't. It was a simple comparison. You either get a kill message or you don't, both systems have their advantages and dissadvantages.

In my opinion, PR isn't a satisfying game, but that's my opinion...it just isn't what I look for in a game. I like the gratification you get from a kill message. I like the hilarious bayonet kills. I like knowing who killed me and with what. I'm not opposed to a switch, or a proposition of said change. In fact, it really doesn't bother me at all. I'm happy with either.

You made the PR reference. Both mods are going to be compared because they are modifications - and therefore variations - of a limited engine. Simple as. No need to go apeshit.

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:35 »
Guys, some of you have PR-phobia. Who said that if PR did something (and it's good, or just points more-less in good way) we can't do something similar? Focus on the problem, leave the phobia.

Offline [130.Pz]I.Kluge

• Better ask twice than lose yourself once.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:25 »
No Kill message sounds good.(Except for TKs)
Would make players feel vulnerable, and unsure.
In a way, it encourages squads, and smooths game play in maps such as Tunis (First flag).[<Example]
As (specially) defenders can't confirm their kills and vise versa, but they can't leave their position to check.
Either way I could care less for the guy who Killed me or I killed.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11-04-2009, 20:04:03 »
Donutz' personal opinion (combination 3, 5, 10) suits myself the best aswell.

I'll have that, stirred, with ice.

:)

But I gotta agree...I wanna be able to pretend I'm act like I'm dead, or be able to wait something out then sneak away, instead of having someone hunting after me nonstop=/