Author Topic: "Comander on/off exploit"  (Read 2248 times)

Offline CologneSky

• with FH since the very beginning! (FH 0.5b baby!)
    • View Profile
"Comander on/off exploit"
« on: 02-04-2012, 22:04:05 »
Heya,

just wanted to start a general discussion about a so-called exploit.
(I posted this also on the hslan forums)

What do you think about commander switching on/off in order to get kill scores for field arti kills.
I have seen this so often (was always wondering why one always sees the "commander in on duty" message), so today I decided to play as commander on PdH and place field arti and then switch off, in order to get the kill scores.
Well, I was told that was an exploit, so I (ofcourse) immediately stopped doing so. (who wants to stand up against admins ;-))

What is the general stance on this issue? Has this been discussed before? Do you consider this legit or an exploit?
If this is considered an exploit, I think it should be explicitly mentioned in the server rules.

Just a couple of thoughts:
Pro exploit:
- It was apparently to intended to get kills from field team arti
- It is rather lame to get massive kills without exposing oneself to battlefield

Contra exploit:
- Tkills from commander arti give you penalties, so if you play as commander and risk the penalties it is only "fair" to get the bonus as well
- Average kill scores achievable do not allow "harvesting" points, probably easier to get kills from normal arti than the commander arti, which has long reload time

One last thought on the "it was not intended" argument: Picking up ammo kits, placing ammo close to arti and the picking up former kit in order for ammo kit to respawn, is probably not intended as well, but I guess everyone would accept it as legit?

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
Re: "Comander on/off exploit"
« Reply #1 on: 02-04-2012, 23:04:11 »
I have never tried that and last time I even played commander was years ago, but here we go.

There is reload bar for artillery in commander interface. It fills up at whatever speed it fills up. You hop in and out from commander table, causing some bug to speed up the reload time of artillery?

Why do you even need to ask if that is exploit or not.

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #2 on: 02-04-2012, 23:04:53 »
Isn't there a ammo box near every ammo kit in mainbases so that "exploit" is nearly useless as you can get more ammoboxes for ammokit from the ammobox?
CMP Gaming

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-04-2012, 23:04:25 »
I would like to ask question now: Does hopping on and off from table speed up arty reload?

I just tested it on local server (PDH) and reload time was 1 minute, both when hopping on and off table or just sitting there.

Offline CologneSky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-04-2012, 23:04:19 »
I have never tried that and last time I even played commander was years ago, but here we go.

There is reload bar for artillery in commander interface. It fills up at whatever speed it fills up. You hop in and out from commander table, causing some bug to speed up the reload time of artillery?

Why do you even need to ask if that is exploit or not.

no, no, I am affraid you are misunderstanding.
it is merely the following fact:
when you are commander and place field arti and kill enmies you dont get kill scores. therefore people often (and I also in this instance) resign as commander and reapply to get the kill scores. that is all. anyways, im putting this up for discussion with the pros and cons mentioned...

cheers,

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-04-2012, 23:04:27 »
Well I'm pretty sure people were accusing you of speeding up the reload of commander arty. So pure warned you of that. Then you misunderstood that you were warned of quitting commander job to get kills.

I don't understand why wouldn't the commander get kills from his arty. Commander already is so utterly useless that it can't hurt to actually give him score from people he killed?

Offline Norman Rockwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-04-2012, 23:04:46 »
Er, you do get points for kills as commander when using the artillery...

Offline CologneSky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-04-2012, 23:04:26 »
Well I'm pretty sure people were accusing you of speeding up the reload of commander arty. So pure warned you of that. Then you misunderstood that you were warned of quitting commander job to get kills.

I don't understand why wouldn't the commander get kills from his arty. Commander already is so utterly useless that it can't hurt to actually give him score from people he killed?

no, ajjapat, it was not about speeding up anything. afaik, you cant speed up the arty anyway. how would that be possible?
it is about getting scores for the kills.
and apart from all, lets keep this on an abstract level, not  personal/situational.

Offline CologneSky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-04-2012, 23:04:59 »

no! you dont! why would you say that?

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-04-2012, 00:04:29 »
and apart from all, lets keep this on an abstract level, not  personal/situational.
Kind of hard when after certain situation you run to forums ask people about it.

no, ajjapat, it was not about speeding up anything. afaik, you cant speed up the arty anyway. how would that be possible?
I just remember seeing admins warning (even kicking I think) people for speeding up arty by bug exploit. Could be some old exploit from way back, that has been fixed, could be that it's just myth.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-04-2012, 00:04:03 »

no! you dont! why would you say that?
Have you tried it? Commander doesn't get kills from normal combatkills, like you shoot someone with a rifle, or you hop in a tank and blast someone. But he does get points for atillery kills.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-04-2012, 00:04:28 »
No you don't. Commander score is calculated somehow different (even if artillery kills are counted, overal commander's score is different afaik) and when you order commander artillery to shoot and then resign fast from commander position python will count your artillery kills as normal weapon kills and you will recieve more score for that, at least that's how I understood that? If I understood it well I will note this bug in appropriate place, thank you for reporting ;)

One last thought on the "it was not intended" argument: Picking up ammo kits, placing ammo close to arti and the picking up former kit in order for ammo kit to respawn, is probably not intended as well, but I guess everyone would accept it as legit?

seems legit to me  :D
« Last Edit: 03-04-2012, 00:04:35 by jan_kurator »

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-04-2012, 01:04:39 »
The commander gets the average score which all players acquired together. Example: Total score of axis team is 517. 32 players on the server. Then its 517/32=16. Accordingly the commander score will be 16. When the axis team won, score will be doubled for commander. Then it is 32.
At least that is how it works in BF2.

when you are commander and place field arti and kill enmies you dont get kill scores. therefore people often (and I also in this instance) resign as commander and reapply to get the kill scores. that is all. anyways, im putting this up for discussion with the pros and cons mentioned...

cheers,

I think you should stand in the corner and be ashamed of being such a score-whore that you dare to deliberately abuse this exploit.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Norman Rockwell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-04-2012, 13:04:44 »
Maybe arty kills don't contribute the same way to the overall player score (I don't know), but I seem to recall that when  I have played as a commander and used the artillery that I have seen kill messages on screen and then points in the "kills" category were incremented accordingly.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03-04-2012, 13:04:29 »
you have seen kill messages because you achieved kills, but "kills" are not your score, field artillery kills are counted on commander's score board but he doesn't recieve any score for that, so for example if you get most kills on the server using field artillery but your team sucks and you resign from commander seat after some time, you won't be first on the server, because your score will be low