Author Topic: New Commodore/Amiga  (Read 2411 times)

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
New Commodore/Amiga
« on: 01-03-2011, 09:03:11 »
http://commodoreusa.net/

Will be interesting to see if this thing really gets anywhere.  I must admit I went kicking and screaming into the IBM clone world around 2000.  Look forward to see if they keep true to the original Workbench OS.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: New Commodore/Amiga
« Reply #1 on: 01-03-2011, 10:03:44 »
At least the speed of the homepage is oldschool. ;)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline RN_Max

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-03-2011, 10:03:13 »
Oh for the organisation and multitasking of Workbench, instead of the landfill site and clumsy brute force of Windows.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-03-2011, 11:03:23 »
I stumbled across this myself not long ago. I'm curious to see what the OS looks like.

My anti-IBM/Microsoft stance forced me to become a disciple of Sony (PS1&2), then in 2005 I was finally broken by two things: I was suffering severe Civilization withdrawals, and have you ever tried to play an RTS on a console? ::)

And if it wasn't primarily a games machine, my PC would be running Linux. Fuck Micro$oft... :P

Workbench>Windows... :)

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #4 on: 01-03-2011, 11:03:07 »
I stumbled across this myself not long ago. I'm curious to see what the OS looks like.

My anti-IBM/Microsoft stance forced me to become a disciple of Sony (PS1&2), then in 2005 I was finally broken by two things: I was suffering severe Civilization withdrawals, and have you ever tried to play an RTS on a console? ::)

And if it wasn't primarily a games machine, my PC would be running Linux. Fuck Micro$oft... :P

Workbench>Windows... :)

I know it was a shock for me when I got my first clone.  I went from a system with a 30mghz CPU from 1990 with 8MB of RAM to a CPU that was 100 times faster with 1GB.  It took forever to boot was slower and could not multitask for shit.  Without even being a total geek I could tell you what every file in a workbench installation did, with windows......Fucked if I know.
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-03-2011, 11:03:29 »
Want to play a game? Insert the game disk.

Want to use Workbench?
Insert the Workbench disk.

Want to use a paint/animation program like Deluxe Paint? Insert the Deluxe Paint disk.

This is a level of user-friendly-ness Windows will never know... :)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01-03-2011, 11:03:22 »
 Lainer,

you just blew my mind with this post. Hopefully, we aren't looking at vaporware cuz the nostalgia alone would make me go out and buy this sucker. What's next? will there be a new Sony Walkman ( i still have a box of blank tapes), or a Beta player revisit?

Now, I want a Steve Jobs Apple tribute to the IIc in the form of a honking big monitor with all the shit built in (what else are touchscreen's good for).

Back OT, will I be able to do my own coding again? There was nothing quite like doing a code book for a game, only to find out that the gameplay is shit and you just wasted 2 weeks of your spare time. Or better yet, spend a month writng a damn game, only to have to read through every line in order to find the one typo that is screwing you over.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #7 on: 01-03-2011, 13:03:19 »
Want to play a game? Insert the game disk.

Want to use Workbench?
Insert the Workbench disk.

Want to use a paint/animation program like Deluxe Paint? Insert the Deluxe Paint disk.

This is a level of user-friendly-ness Windows will never know... :)

Or you could just install it on the HD..... ::)

Sheik....What language did you code in on the Amiga?  I cut my teeth on basic (because it was easy after my 128D days) then moved on to Amos.  I loved that thing.  Had a nifty little game going complete with digitized graphics and sound (ohhhh ahh in the late 80's early 90's) before I lost it in a HD crash.  I started learning pascal and C in high school but soon lost interest after being exposed to the ease/awesomeness of Amos Pro.  I loved that thing...With only 4000+ lines of code I had a complete game engine.  With weapons/music/sounds.  All I needed to do at that point was create some nifty maps and enemy encounters.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01-03-2011, 17:03:25 »
This is basically some netbook without screen. Not even on a level of a laptop. Needs to compete with tablets, netbooks, maybe even laptops. It will all depend on the price. However it is no high-end product. Suitable for browsing the web, downloading e-mails, writing a few lines, chat. If you got a proper screen.

Specs:
- CPU may vary, socket 775
- 2xDDR2 240-pin sockets, upto 4GB
- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 with support for Microsoft DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 2.0 using up to 298MB shared memory.
- On-board AC'97
- Microsoft Windows 7 (Full Aero)/ Vista/ XP/ 2000, LINUX.

Conclusion: Will vanish like all other startups using the brand-name Commodore for some random product.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline GirlsHateMe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-03-2011, 04:03:38 »
The C64 was my entire childhood, so many good times we had together back in the goldie oldie days  :D

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-03-2011, 04:03:40 »
MSX > all
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-03-2011, 10:03:30 »
Or you could just install it on the HD..... ::)
No such luxuries for me... :(

God, I had enough trouble conning the oldies into buying me an Amiga. I'd get the "What's wrong with the one you've got?" line (referring to my C64)... ::)

Might have to see if I can dig one up on ebay...

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
Time for some of to show our age
« Reply #12 on: 11-04-2011, 18:04:46 »
Ok, who here thinks this is cool:

Classic Commodore 64 lives again

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
Re: Time for some of to show our age
« Reply #13 on: 11-04-2011, 19:04:37 »
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=13897.0

You must be getting senile old man!  We already talked about this.  I did notice that they are actually selling them now though.  Can't wait to see what the Amiga is like when they get done.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11-04-2011, 19:04:51 »
Le merge.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame