Author Topic: Player base development - How do we keep this mod alive?  (Read 11100 times)

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
Re: Player base development - How do we keep this mod alive?
« Reply #135 on: 05-07-2014, 16:07:26 »
Well, I think every map should have each smaller version - 16,32. Some of existing smaller maps should be really reworked because they're simply unplayable, like Sidi Rezegh...

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 05-07-2014, 16:07:45 »
Sidi Rezegh 16p had its spawn points fixed in 2.47.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 05-07-2014, 17:07:48 »
Personally I like the fact that 762 runs all official maps. That being said, I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to do some kind of voting system, also randomized. So people have the choice between two or three maps from the rotation. That way we devs would also get numbers of which maps are requested most and which might need work.
To the python-cave!
No need of caving, we have a built-in map voting system. It  probably even works on 762 if the guys haven't turned it off.

It supports the following commands typed in the chat (doesn't matter if it's the squad, team, or "all" chat):
  • !votenext mapname [gamemode] [size]
    Starts a new vote. Examples:
    !votenext bardia
    !votenext eppel 32
    (yes, it can find the map by first letters of its name)
    Note: the map should be present in the current server's maplist.
  • !yes
    Vote for the current map voted for.
  • !no
    Vote against the current map voted for.
  • !shownext
    Show the next map to be played (may lie on 762 because of the auto-mapsize script).

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 05-07-2014, 19:07:46 »
To the python-cave!

I lol and spat my drink out.

Note:
*762 does have 2 other servers (PR 1.2 & Battleracer2) neither of which has any activity in the last 12+ months
*Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death.
 ;D

There are two reasons why 762s PR and Battleracer server aren't working.

1st) Battleracer never has been a popular mod. Or did I miss something? We propably had the most active server for it.  ;D
2nd) Majority of our admins are FH2 nerds, so active on those servers. The PR server is not administrated at all. Besides that the FH2 servers have been established for a far longer period of time. We could shift our focus and put alot of effort into promoting our PR server to try to compete with allready established server hosters, but at the end nobody is up for the task nor willed to do it because most of just enjoy another game are not up for those waiting orgies. We would need a good strategy for sure and it is not really what we are looking for. But I would not blame the other hosters for that as nobody is stopping us from getting our asses up and work for it. PR is also more popular in the US as FH2, so competition is a tad harder.

@gavrant: !shownext works, but the other options don't afaik or are disabled. Problems are mentioned allready. On one hand people complain about the instability of the server, on the other hand they want to have more freedom for voting. Changing the server rotation over and over again doesn't make the server any more stable.

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 05-07-2014, 19:07:47 »
@gavrant: !shownext works, but the other options don't afaik or are disabled.
Then it's disabled on the servers.

Problems are mentioned allready. On one hand people complain about the instability of the server, on the other hand they want to have more freedom for voting. Changing the server rotation over and over again doesn't make the server any more stable.
I doubt that map voting will make any server less stable. And I still remember the times when every evening on 762 started with Mt. Olympus... :)

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 05-07-2014, 22:07:34 »
It's kind of painful for me to see posts disqualifying certain maps because they are "unfriendly" or anything.

Apart from the fact that these maps have been worked on for god knows how long, and then someone comes in and simply says "this map sucks, take it out of rotation", I'm afraid this might lead to a situation which I already experienced at the end of BF1942: one server which ran one map 24/7 and one server which ran only ~5 maps. This was the final blow for BF1942, as players who disliked those maps, or players who liked the variety (one of the strongpoints for FH2 too!) left and never returned.

I sincerely hope that 762, or any other server for that matter, will never be tempted to remove maps from the rotation permanently, just because some people voice their dislike of them.

I feel there is no need to defend bardia and in some ways, Tunis. While maps get a lot of attention from developers, some are simply not suitable for multiplayer with the brutal nature of grenades, capable long range weaponry and such.
« Last Edit: 05-07-2014, 22:07:12 by Airshark79 »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 05-07-2014, 22:07:38 »
I feel there is no need to defend bardia and in some ways, Tunis. While maps get a lot of attention from developers, some are simply not suitable for multiplayer with the brutal nature of grenades, capable long range weaponry and such.
What's so bad about them then? On Tunis grenades are limited, and Bardia is balanced quite OK.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 05-07-2014, 22:07:37 »
^ The problem is scale. They were simply made before anyone could have ever dreamed of more than 64 players on the same server. For 64p they work ok, but if you put more people on it just becomes to spammy.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 06-07-2014, 00:07:12 »
What's so bad about them then? On Tunis grenades are limited, and Bardia is balanced quite OK.

Bardia is not "balanced quite ok"

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 06-07-2014, 00:07:33 »
Yes, it is balanced very well in fact.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 06-07-2014, 00:07:06 »
According to 762 balance stats it is allied biased.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 06-07-2014, 00:07:01 »
I agree with Jimi on lowering the numbers a bit to see what people do. On a few maps, 100 allows room for maneuver and pause, but often, it's a run-and-gun with little room to think.

Perhaps 85 or 75. I feel the 2nd 762 server will get populated once that's done.

Then we can look tactically at what can be done about other servers

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 06-07-2014, 01:07:56 »

Even if it is 50-50 it is balanced around baserape. Either italians or Brits

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 06-07-2014, 14:07:14 »

Even if it is 50-50 it is balanced around baserape. Either italians or Brits

I haven't been baseraped on Bardia since 2.46 update on the british side. And baseraping the Italians is the whole point of the map, isn't it?

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 06-07-2014, 15:07:27 »
 I have come to really love Bardia, especially as Allied.

I have a solid squad strat that will have my men teabagging your dead corpses & capping a flag within 10 minutes of map start.

:P