Author Topic: Ideas to make weapon mechanics seem more "realistic"  (Read 798 times)

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
Hello guys!
Few weeks ago I was at a friend who wanted to show me Insurgency and some other new games. I've never played them because my PC wouldn't let me. However, I noticed something very interesting- there was no indicator for how much rounds you have in the magazine and neither automatic reloading. You had to do everything yourself. I have seen such things in other titles like RO, PR, Arma, Day of Infamy and most of the games that are considered "realistic".

My question is: what do you think of implementig these elements (manual reloading and no bullet indicator) in FH2. IMO this will make the game look more "serious" and will add to the immersion. If you think about it, you can't know exactly how much rounds you have in your weapon if not counting them. Only rough numbers like half a magazine, or 2 thirds which can be represented as a "phone like battery" indicator.

If you think that this is going to be ridicolous, why not include the manual reloading only?
« Last Edit: 26-07-2017, 20:07:45 by Dancho »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas to make weapon mechanics seem more "realistic"
« Reply #1 on: 26-07-2017, 21:07:20 »
You mean this would be mandatory, rtight? Because right now you can already do both. You can deselect "automatic reload" in Option, and if you don't want to know the number of bullets in your mag you can go hardcore. You have to add a txt file afaik, but I don't know what you should call it. The mode itself is called "immersion mode".

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-07-2017, 21:07:22 »
Yea you can do both of these right now, and imo having it as an option is best. I play without auto reload and also have 'immersion mode' enabled. Although immersion mode takes away your minimap as well.

I've gotten used to it. :)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-07-2017, 00:07:21 »
Ah yeah, you can untick the boxes in the Gameplay tab at Options in the FH2Launcher.

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-07-2017, 09:07:59 »
Yes, I mean mandatory, for everyone. That means every time you fire a bolt action you will have to cycle the bolt yourself.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27-07-2017, 10:07:17 »
Yes, I mean mandatory, for everyone. That means every time you fire a bolt action you will have to cycle the bolt yourself.
engine limitations

Offline Dancho

• Mayonnaise king
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-07-2017, 14:07:24 »
engine limitations
Really? Well, ok then. Have you guys ever tought about including the Immersion mod in game? Like Slayer says "mandatory". But with minimap and chat.

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-08-2017, 05:08:42 »
How about more realistic bullet physics and damage models. Once I shot at an Italian soldier in-game with a Thompson and it took like 16 bullets to kill him! Maybe add some realistic features like Project Reality, such as not being able to see as well when you are being shot at, or more realistic weapon sway. I think it would be great to add more realistic features to this mod. It already is one of the most historically accurate and realistic WW2 games out there, but the realism could definitely be improved upon.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-08-2017, 06:08:36 »
Huh?  Thompson kills in 2 hits.  If you fired 16 rounds, you likely were missing, or there was a ping spike that meant you weren't actually aiming at him.  Try controlled bursts next time.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-08-2017, 10:08:22 »
How about more realistic bullet physics and damage models. Once I shot at an Italian soldier in-game with a Thompson and it took like 16 bullets to kill him! Maybe add some realistic features like Project Reality, such as not being able to see as well when you are being shot at, or more realistic weapon sway. I think it would be great to add more realistic features to this mod. It already is one of the most historically accurate and realistic WW2 games out there, but the realism could definitely be improved upon.
Realistic bullet physics, like bullet drop and damage models are there already, as realistic as game engine allows. Definitely more realistic than in any modern WWII games out there. It takes 2 body hits with 0.45 ACP to kill that enemy (up to 3 if you hit a limb or 1 if you hit head obviously). It is possible you wasted 16 bullets for one kill but that means your accuracy was around 20% at best. Suppression shader is there, it just doesn't work with some graphics cards with anti aliasing turned on for some reason. Try turning your AA settings off and you "won't be able to see when shot at". And realistic weapon sway isn't really supported by the engine, since bullets don't come out of your hand weapon but from the center of the screen, so sway is more of a visual thing, in fact there's bullet spread only to simulate that. Also, watch the video Ts4EVER posted to learn a little bit more about the topic ;)
« Last Edit: 17-08-2017, 11:08:19 by jan_kurator »

Offline Seth_Soldier

• Developer
  • "Mort aux cons !"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17-08-2017, 11:08:40 »
Also check your ping

Offline fighterpil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17-08-2017, 13:08:02 »
Yeah, I think the recoil from the Thompson made me miss some. OK, I will try turning AA off.