Author Topic: Comments on $2,000 Gaming Build  (Read 2049 times)

azreal

Comments on $2,000 Gaming Build
« on: 29-04-2012, 03:04:02 »
Hello there everyone,

Below is a list of parts that I have selected which I will purchase and use to build a new gaming computer. My budget is around $2,000 for the basic parts (fancy accessories will come later). However, since my computer knowledge is a bit lacking, I was hoping I could get some feedback on what I have selected in terms of quality, reliability, and compatibility. Here is my list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23900227

Now if you actually looked through it all, then you probably noticed I was missing some parts. Yes, I realize this. The whole build will be placed inside a Cooler Master HAF X case which I purchased in a black Friday deal. It will be hooked up to a 37" 1080p HDTV, and will be powered by an Intel i7 quad-core "Ivy Bridge" cpu*, and I think that about covers it. Thanks everyone.

*Does anyone know where or when the new Ivy Bridge cpu's will be available for purchase? I can't find them anywhere.

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Comments on $2,000 Gaming Build
« Reply #1 on: 29-04-2012, 03:04:47 »
You could save a ton of money on the headset.  I just bought a $20 logitech usb headset that serves me just fine. :)

And something is up with the total amount counter.  Your last two items' total amount are substantially higher than what they are listed as!  :P

azreal

« Reply #2 on: 29-04-2012, 03:04:27 »
Yea, I realize the headset is very expensive, but it is wireless which is why it's so expensive. I already have a cheaper Logitech headset that I got for $25 dollars too. Ideally, I'd like to try and reduce some of the wires, since my deskspace is already somewhat cluttered.

Also, the reason the last two items appear to be more expensive is because I'm getting 2x of each. So that's two CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives, and two anti-static straps.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-04-2012, 03:04:33 »
If you want to boost your system effectiveness, I was once told that buying a SSD drive with 30-100GB only to use for system files, makes a big difference. It costs a buck but the speed is undeniable. Everything else looks fine and dandy hough I admit I haven't checked in hardware department for a long time now and my knowledge is outdated / faulty.

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-04-2012, 03:04:34 »
Also, the reason the last two items appear to be more expensive is because I'm getting 2x of each. So that's two CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives, and two anti-static straps.

Why do you need two CD/DVD/Blu-ray drives?  Do you work a lot with physical media?

I have one and I have almost never used it.  Then again, I buy most of my PC games on Steam or other digital distribution outlets and I never watch movies on my computer. 

I only use my drive for installing older games that I have on disc, burning the odd CD, and installing windows.

EDIT - and I only spent $20 dollars on my drive!
« Last Edit: 29-04-2012, 03:04:27 by Wilhelm »

azreal

« Reply #5 on: 29-04-2012, 03:04:33 »
@Kubador: I already have an SSD on that list. A Crucial M4 128GB. I've been told they're very reliable, and I plan to do exactly what you stated. Put the OS, a few games, and nothing more on it. Should be good.

@Wilhelm: I've had two gaming computers now, and both had 2x optical drives. I agree that most games now that I play are either bought digitally or don't require a CD, but I like to have the option. That way, I can keep the CD of a game that I play a lot (like BF2 before patch 1.5) in one drive, and use the other for misc. stuff like watching movies, or burning music.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-04-2012, 09:04:04 »
Looks like a good rig. I hope you can do a small review on the headset. I was disappointed with my G35 headset and am looking for a substitute.
Since you are going for the latest and greatest in the videocard department, have you considered the 7970 series. It comes with 3GB video memory, handy for games like GTAIV (probably GTAV too) that consumes lots of vid memory.

I found this one --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150591 They can be found a bit cheaper then the GTX680.

Can't help you on the Ivy Bridge, I know they are available in my country. Like the I7 3770.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #7 on: 29-04-2012, 09:04:58 »
You could save a ton of money on the headset.  I just bought a $20 logitech usb headset that serves me just fine. :)
If someone spends 2,000 dollars on a PC they should at least get a Sennheiser. Just going with a cheap Logitech one is a waste, sound quality sucks on those.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-04-2012, 11:04:27 »

@Wilhelm: I've had two gaming computers now, and both had 2x optical drives. I agree that most games now that I play are either bought digitally or don't require a CD, but I like to have the option. That way, I can keep the CD of a game that I play a lot (like BF2 before patch 1.5) in one drive, and use the other for misc. stuff like watching movies, or burning music.

So what happened to those drives? Did they die? Did you sell them?  Why not reuse some? The rest looks good, although I'm also a bit rusty with all the new tech coming out...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-04-2012, 13:04:33 »
When buying a SSD, only get something solid. I have a 60 gb ocz vertex 2 ssd, and it broke down twice already! Never store anything important on your SSD!

azreal

« Reply #10 on: 29-04-2012, 15:04:09 »
@LuckyOne: They're older. These new ones not only read/write CDs and DVDs, but also the newer Blu-ray discs as well. If my plan comes together, then I should be able to use them to watch Blu-ray movies on my computer.

@mopskind: I'm not sure what you're saying? What do you mean "only get something solid"?

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-04-2012, 16:04:09 »
Well don't go for the cheapest brand, read a lot of user reviews before buying one. Though it seems that a lot of problems with first generation SSDs are rooted out by now-you never know.. it still sucks if you have to struggle with warranty service every few months-.-. Unfortunately i really can't recommend anything.

azreal

« Reply #12 on: 29-04-2012, 17:04:59 »
Oh well yea, that's a given. I've done some research too and found that both Intel and Crucial SSD's are pretty good as far as reliability goes.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29-04-2012, 23:04:56 »
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23900227

Looks very solid. Unfortunately my skill is to arrange hardware that gives an acceptable bang for a decent price.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Akersorken

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-04-2012, 13:04:22 »
SSDs rocks! everyone should get one if they can. I got a Corsair Force GT 90GB and the speed is amazing, and you can kiss defragmentation goodbye!  :)