Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 179212 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #75 on: 27-04-2009, 03:04:48 »
Kingdom of Heaven

Aired on TV today. I had quite low expectations, but the movie turned out to be pretty enjoyable, despite Orlando Bloom, who I never liked as an actor. The battle scenes were well done and especially the Mac-Gyver-defence of Jerusalem was nice to watch (I always had a thing for elaborate defensive installations and the sieges thereof). But the movie was mainly about motivations and beliefs. As an allegory for the contemporary conflicts with Islam it was very good: It preaches tolerance and condemnes fanatics of both sides. As a portrait of the medieval crusades and the people who fought them it fails miserably. All characters (though reasonably well acted) seemed like modern people transported into the middle ages. There values, motivations and actions are modern. I'd really like to see a film one day portraying real medieval human beings, though I guess it would be hard to identify with them and their value system.

6/10

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #76 on: 27-04-2009, 13:04:44 »
Was it the extended version or the first one that came out?

I think the extended was so much better then the original

Still, not a superb movie but a good flick. The extended version that is.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #77 on: 28-04-2009, 16:04:00 »
Against the Dark:  MINUS!!!! -11/10

The most ridiculous film I have ever seen, Seagal plays a vampire hunter in this acclaimed vampire beat-em-up film?

Let me start by saying, there are NO vampires in this film.
Let me second that with there is NO acting in this film, none at all.
Let me thirdly mention that whilst it may say Steven Segal is responsible for the death of many vampires as he leads an army against them, as there are no vampires, nor army in this film this is a fabrication of events, and thus what you are indeed left with is Steven Seagal waving his sword at the camerman who then pans down to a killed zombie (FACT).
I must add that the films budget must have been so small it would only allow for a deralict film set comprising of 6 disused corridors and some stock aircraft footage.
There are not only serious plot holes, but a complete lack of plot, people wander off, come back together, wander off, you're left thinking why the hell did I buy this piece of shit, why god why!  Why don't they pick up weapons and arm themselves ahhhh!

The greatest part of the movie has to be the end, when the whole town gets nuked, camera zooms out with no explanation how the heroes survive, only to find that - yep it's a completly different town to the one at the start.

Cataclysmically SHIT for start to finish.  So dire, it became diarrhea watching, it stank to high heaven and it was thin, brown and probably the by-product of a bad hotdog.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline 16floz470ml

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 28-04-2009, 20:04:36 »
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

A new channel has become available called MGM HD.  All it shows are old classic movies that are now in HD. 

This movie follows a British soldier from his days in South Africa and being awarded the Victoria Cross, to being a key player in WWI, and then to the beginning of WWII where the world and what he thought it was really changes.  A very good movie in my opinion.  I think the best scene is the German POW camp.     
« Last Edit: 28-04-2009, 20:04:57 by 16floz470ml »

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 28-04-2009, 22:04:25 »
Against the Dark:  MINUS!!!! -11/10

The most ridiculous film I have ever seen, Seagal plays a vampire hunter...

I stopped reading there.

Son, you should know better.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 30-04-2009, 04:04:53 »
Saw two movies today, one good, one outright epic.

Shaun of the Dead

I have never been a fan of zombie movies, mostly because they all to often turn into mindless splatter, and as amusing it is to see people being torn apart, it sort of gets old. This 2004 british comedy however not only parodies the genre in a very intelligent way, it also could stand alone as a relationship comedy. The movie follows two losers during their fight against a zombie apocalypse (that they at first don't even notice). Armed with cricket bats and accompanied by the mother, stepfather and girlfriend of one of them they try to make their way into their favourite pub. Some passages had me giggling nonstop (especially the ending, that shows life after "Z-day" is hilarious). In the middle there were some passages that seemed a bit to stretched out and took tempo away, but over all it was a very enjoyable movie.

8/10

Das Leben der Anderen/ The Lives of Others

This movie won the foreign language oscar in 2007 and was all over the news for a while because of that, but I was never really interested. Recently a friend recommended it to me and I read some reviews, that all were highly positive. So I organised and watched it. I was not disappointed.
The movie stars the late Ulrich Mühe as Gerd Wiesler, an officer of the Stasi, eastern germanys secret police. Appropiatly, the year is 1984 and Wiesler spies on playwright Georg Dreymann who made himself suspect by being not suspect at all. A man with such a clean record has to be against communism, after all.
The movie unfolds as a espionage thriller, but there is no James Bond style action. As the movie progresses, the characters, their interactions (or lack thereof) switch into the focus and the oppressive communist system is shown in all its "glory". Truly a great film that I can warmly recommend to anyone interested in newer history and good movies. I don't know if there is a dubbed version, but a subtitled one can be obtained.

10/10

trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3_iLOp6IhM
« Last Edit: 30-04-2009, 04:04:50 by Ts4EVER »

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #81 on: 30-04-2009, 11:04:17 »
Anyone got a review for  "Der rote Baron", it's got Leana Headey in it -sccchhhwing!  Looks awesome, it was out last year but went under my radar at least. (forgive the WWI pun at non-existent radar systems).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er--DLaG7SM
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 30-04-2009, 15:04:52 »
Havent seen it, but i soon will. It looks really cool, though i dislike one of the actors, and i hate matrix, which is the same team making effects. But i know it will be awesome still

Shaun of the dead is hilarious indeed, one of the few comedies i like. Though i like zombie movies, but wouldnt call me a "fan"

review:  when trumpets fade    8/10
  The "purest" war movie ive ever seen. The story is only about one battle, and its no extra drama or attempts at being philosophical. And its not one single woman in the entire movie, which i doubt it was by the front in  Hürtgenwald. The "story" is the best ever, thats why it get 8, even if bad actors and a tight budget pull this movie down from the 10. Particulary an extremely ridiculous flamethrower scene. I think its a TV movie only. But still worth seeing for sure.

« Last Edit: 30-04-2009, 15:04:10 by Jobabb Jobabbsen »

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 06-05-2009, 18:05:42 »
Anyone got a review for  "Der rote Baron", it's got Leana Headey in it -sccchhhwing!  Looks awesome, it was out last year but went under my radar at least. (forgive the WWI pun at non-existent radar systems).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er--DLaG7SM

Red Baron     5/10

The simplest way of describing it is :  it sucks. I was very stupid saying i "know" its awesome. But i thought it was more serious, and not just another "Flyboys". The action scenes are few and unrealistic, its alot of drama and a love story of course. It was too much about his emotionally transformation to become something more like a pacifist, to fit a typical hollywood- good guy. It was also kinda pro-jewish of some reason, which i think is unnecesarry in this movie. I dont know much about the real Red Baron, but historical facts were few. It was very hollywood-like, and they failed completely to make a ww1-mood, with modern haircuts and mostly only the Kaiser had a mustache. It was some action, and i really like ww1 movies, so it was entertaining enough, thats why it doesnt get 0. And Joseph Fiennes, even if he wasnt the usual cry-baby he usually is in war movies, still sucked.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #84 on: 09-05-2009, 13:05:21 »
Maybe not quite a movie but a documentary!

Called "CCCP Hockey" made by Swedish Television

Awesome documentary about the legendary hockey players of Soviet before the collapse of USSR

Fetisov, Kasatonov, Krutov, Larionov och Makarov.

Dunno if you can get this with english subtitles but, anyway. Great interesting documentary and pretty sad as well.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #85 on: 23-05-2009, 00:05:47 »
Royal Tenenbaums
- This movie is now. So close, so close to be 10 out of 10 for me. Now, several years since I saw it the first time. I think every actor in this movie is at his or hers best. Gene Hackman, Gwyneth P, Luke and Owen Wilson, Ben Stilljer, Anjelica Houston. It's amazing.

Awesome soundtrack, awesome story, awesome actors and settings equals great movie.

"I'm dying"
"Oh my, how long do you got left?"
"6 weeks"
"Oh now..."
"Oh don't cry, I'm not sick"
"You bastard!"
"I'm sorry I was just..."
"Get out of here!"
"OK OK I'm sick, sick as a dog!"

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 31-05-2009, 01:05:49 »
O Brother, Where Art Though:

(9/10)

And adaptation of Homer's Odyssey for modern film, set in the Deep South during the great depression, with George Clooney playing the eloquent Ulysses Everett McGill, who symbolizes Odysseus. Everett McGill, Pete Hogwallop, and Delmar O’Donnell are chained together, working on a chain gang. Everett manages to convince the others to escape with him (while chained together) by telling them that he buried 1.2 million dollars that he stole in a valley about to be flooded by the TVA for hydroelectric power. This movie follows their activities after their escape, and loosely parallels the events of the Odyssey. Very entertaining, though not a comedy, this is probably the best, and least depressing, film I have seen that is set in the Deep South or the Great Depression.

Pete: Wait a minute. Who elected you leader of this outfit?
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.
Pete: Suits me. I'm voting for yours truly.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well I'm voting for yours truly too.
[Everett and Pete look at Delmar for the deciding vote]
Delmar O'Donnell: Okay... I'm with you fellas.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 31-05-2009, 01:05:02 »
Kingdom of Heaven

The battle scenes were well done
My favorite was the Finnish guy in the beginning, fighting even with a bolt shot trough his throat :P
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 31-05-2009, 07:05:11 »

(9/10)

I can second that score. An awesome movie. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Niam

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 31-05-2009, 10:05:26 »

(9/10)

I can second that score. An awesome movie. :)

And it has a wonderfull soundtrack.