Author Topic: will we ever see a Dev team wishlist?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
will we ever see a Dev team wishlist?
« on: 24-02-2010, 06:02:53 »
 Every once in a while this question pops into my head but have the Devs ever considered releasing a wishlist of statics and maps that they would like to see made but which are not considered to be a priority for the core team?

My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: will we ever see a Dev team wishlist?
« Reply #1 on: 24-02-2010, 08:02:24 »
The boring side of me has only one wish: to finish all the maps we currently are making, and secure a stabile dev process for the next major front that we will do.

The fun side of me (if I could press some magical button that would auto-generate it without any effort whatsoever) would be to have a perfect monte cassino map, with an obliteraded cassino town, a moon-like and detailed hill with a bombed out ruin of monastery at the top. The gameplay would start in the destroyed town and then be a push up the hill for allies, preferably Polish soldiers or French, as Id want this to be the final push. Germans would shell and MG and snipe down the hill but would be gradually pushed up the mountain. Gameplay for infantry would go in "steps" up the hillside, with covers like small italian farmwalls, rocks, sandbags and german bunkerpieces. All trees and bushes would be dry, dead or burnt.

I would have a huge final fight inside the ruins of the monastery (anyone played Uncharted2? if so, like that firefight in the tibet town, linear but with places to flank and elevations to go up and down) even if no fighting took place there IRL.
(like some of the best rounds of RtR bf1942 monte cassino, ofcourse with a lot bigger and more destroyed ruins)
additional ambience like distant explosions, flyover planes etc would be all over.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-02-2010, 08:02:07 »
 Thanks for the reply Natty,

I guess my point was a little unclear but i was referring to all the stuff that people request but the Devs can't get to making in a timely manner.

Using Cassino as an example, how about an open request for Italian looking things like Pantherturms or the custom made bunkers and what-not? (not the main things like the monastery itself but rather all the bits and pieces that you guys need to make a map feel "right")

If the wishlist were properly constructed, it would help to stop all these other mods that are just ripping off FH2 material for their own aims. They have talent and drive, so why shouldn't we be prevailing upon their help instead of leaving them to drift off on their own modding tangent?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-02-2010, 08:02:17 »
As far as I know our devs, some mostly mod what they feel like doing while keeping to the front which is presently in work.
But all devs work their ass off to bring us content and I love them for that! *bows*

Edith: If the other modders want to help, then it is always a good thing to apply with the team! :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-02-2010, 08:02:35 »
how about an open request for Italian looking things

I didn't understand that post sheikyerbouti...  :-\

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-02-2010, 08:02:09 »
 I love them too, (in a really gay way, like "marry me Lobo" :p)

My point is to have an open listing of things we can make for you guys without taking away from your efforts.

example: an open request to the public for models from the Todt organizations schematics, if the model is good enough then it gets removed from the list that is public.

edit: hope I make some better sense now Natt-ster

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24-02-2010, 08:02:48 »
nope, we make the things we need. If a modeller wants to make things, he is more than welcomed to apply to the mod and then he will know what is needed. We are not like a "warehouse" that keeps stock of things that people need to mod for fun (without even promising any result). We make purely items that we need for our maps.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-02-2010, 08:02:57 »
Edith: If the other modders want to help, then it is always a good thing to apply with the team! :)

i offered my help at one time and was told to go fly a kite (polite way to be told to fuck off),

so why not make open, public requests for material that can be submitted whenever we feel that we can help out? It's no secret you guys want more help so why hide behind the need to apply to the team when some of us can only help out in very small increments anyways.

edit:
hmm, just read your last post Natty and IMO it's not the best way to build stocks in your warehouse when we don't even know in the first place what kind of things you are keeping in there.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-02-2010, 08:02:34 »
You need Italian AT rifle and AT gun!  ;D

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-02-2010, 11:02:45 »
I think the Idea is quite good. It would not take much time to open up a thread where the mappers post lists of low priority statics they would like to place in their maps but which wont be done due to lack of time. I always thought that the Dev-Team should include the entusastic community more into the development progress. I guess that we have some unused potential that could be exploited and it is worth a try.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-02-2010, 12:02:26 »
a polite offer, but that is not how you develop a mod. If someone makes a house and posts here, no mapper would be allowed to just put it in his map. We have a structure and we use assets that we develop.
Anyone can send his statics to Toddel for reviewing, if he likes them, and we need them in some map, perhaps they would be added to the mod, like we added that plane from XWWII.

But no, we are not going to write down statics that we want people to make, the truth is it would  take Toddel more time to look through other models, review the geometry, check the collisions, check the UVs, check the LODs, check the textures and replace with FH2 textures etc etc.. than to make them himself.

But anyone is welcomed to apply to the team  :)
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/main.php?module=jobs

Offline Knitschi

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-02-2010, 20:02:11 »
So if I have a selfmade static I can just send it to Toddel for a quality check. If it meets your demands, Toddel tells me in which folder it will be in the next release and I can use it in my map? ( please say "yes" ;) )

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-02-2010, 20:02:43 »
You only find that out if you send him your static. ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-02-2010, 23:02:59 »
The MG26(t) is high up on my rare stuff wishlist.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24-02-2010, 23:02:17 »
a polite offer, but that is not how you develop a mod. If someone makes a house and posts here, no mapper would be allowed to just put it in his map. We have a structure and we use assets that we develop.
Anyone can send his statics to Toddel for reviewing, if he likes them, and we need them in some map, perhaps they would be added to the mod, like we added that plane from XWWII.

But no, we are not going to write down statics that we want people to make, the truth is it would  take Toddel more time to look through other models, review the geometry, check the collisions, check the UVs, check the LODs, check the textures and replace with FH2 textures etc etc.. than to make them himself.

But anyone is welcomed to apply to the team  :)
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/main.php?module=jobs

I want to know if you have some system to evaluate mappers and if you train them in the future.