Author Topic: Wider avenue of attack on push maps  (Read 915 times)

Offline TimeMachineAssassin

• View Profile
Wider avenue of attack on push maps
« on: 27-08-2012, 11:08:38 »
I like the concept of push maps, but for replayability and creativity I would like to see the out of bounds areas expanded. Be able to attack from all angles. It gets very limted and predictable on some maps with current narrow lanes.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Wider avenue of attack on push maps
« Reply #1 on: 27-08-2012, 16:08:44 »
Yeah cause people really like it when the enemy sneaks past them. Push maps are not about where to attack, but how to attack.

Offline TimeMachineAssassin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-08-2012, 23:08:30 »
Thats what im sayin. You know where to attack, its just limited in how with current narrow lanes. Just a thought.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-08-2012, 23:08:20 »
Tbh having push maps is great. I'd even change Totalize to some kind of a push map where the factory couldn't be capped if Canucks hold Windmill. Because nobody EVER defends that flag. Actually it's not as much about defending, because nobody ever defends ANY flag, but it's more where players spawn so they're closest to the fight. Which on Totalize is Windmill, but it's too easy to sneak past that and backcap the factory flag as Germans.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-08-2012, 23:08:35 »
Idk the fuzz about the new fashion of push maps at all. Totalize is perfect as it is. On Cobra it isn't as nice with the pushmode as without - but that is just personal taste. What I really don't like, how narrow some maps are. Best example is Falais. It is unplayable, atleast when you compare it to previous versions of the map and play it on a full server. You could completely open the northern and northwestern part of the map that is currently unused and it would be alot more fun. Place there a flag wich is connected to Destroyed Battery as one sector. This would give this map so much more depth, but you will leave it as it is anyway so I won't get more into detail.

It is more tactical depth when you can attack a flag from many directions and not only one or two. Look at St. Lo. That's the best possible push mode you can have. And falling the enemy in the back, using the moment of surprise and flanking the objective is much more fun than running the same way over and over again and getting slaughtered. Next example of this is Brest. There is just not enough space on this map, same as Ramelle. I have nothing against CQC, but I want to use my brain while fighting and not just covering one direction. Maps where this actually works better are FoT and Tunis.

And defending a postion to many directions should be your job as a team and not just waiting for the enemy to pop up all the time on the same spot. Where is the fun and challenge about this?

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-08-2012, 02:08:12 »
Yeah, I also don't like this bottleneck push maps where the only way of capping a flag is running straight like a bot - like in Bad Company (I don't know how it looks like in BF3 though).

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-08-2012, 04:08:40 »
Yeah, I also don't like this bottleneck push maps where the only way of capping a flag is running straight like a bot - like in Bad Company (I don't know how it looks like in BF3 though).

You just have to try Metro in BF3. That would blow your brains out.

;D

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28-08-2012, 14:08:11 »
The fun thing about FH2 is that it has variety. Variety of theatres (desert, green fields, cities), varieties of armies (British, Italians, Germans, Americans), and varietites of maps.

Some maps are open. Some maps are push. Some maps are semipush. Some maps are sectorpush. Some maps are objective mode.  Yay, fun!

Of course you like certain maps or maptypes more than others, but that doesn't make it bad. Others might like the maps you dislike, and the other way around.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31-08-2012, 12:08:00 »
 i have to agree with TimeMachine on this one.

certain maps benefit from Push or Sector-push modes but they can also be easily affected by the topography.

As shitmaker mentions Falaise pocket is an excellent example. With no flanking opportunities the map has become a rather lame camp out that gets boring right quick. With no room for maneuvre, the Canadians are pushed back much too quickly or they just camp in the corners and rape german's from angles they can never reach (case in point the hedgerows south of the church)

same issue with the 16 player version, as the canucks get one route to advance upon, and any rational german opposition just sits back and MG's the shit out the attackers.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-09-2012, 08:09:36 »
I would like to have the city in Falaise Pocket to be completely open for attack as last game the Canadians (including me stayed on the last city flag rushing towards the uncaps of the Germans in order to not get raped by LeFH18 or camping Panther tanks. This lead to Germans complaining the Canadians would attack uncaps.
Problem is that at this stage the Canadians have nothing to do if they withstand the attack. The field in between the town and mortar battery is a plain rape fest and should the Canadians lose the last town flag the map gets  even more ridicolous resulting in a slow arty and tank rape slowly bleeding out the Candians tickets and leading the players to leave.
That is just my opinion on that, you might have examples where this layout played out well.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-09-2012, 12:09:46 »
The fun thing about FH2 is that it has variety. Variety of theatres (desert, green fields, cities), varieties of armies (British, Italians, Germans, Americans), and varietites of maps.

Some maps are open. Some maps are push. Some maps are semipush. Some maps are sectorpush. Some maps are objective mode.  Yay, fun!

Of course you like certain maps or maptypes more than others, but that doesn't make it bad. Others might like the maps you dislike, and the other way around.

There is nothing wrong about variety, CQ maps vs. tanks maps, open maps vs. narrow maps and so on. But Falais is a map where you reach the limit of fun and frustration. It is a very one sided map now. Either the german team can't get a single flag or the Canadian team gets steam rolled. Falais was a meat grinder and narrow map in 2.4 too, but you atleast had the chance to do something and move. Now it's a camp fest. What I also miss on Falais is the path through the water in the north in front of the church. There are only two ways for the vehicles to get over the river and this is simply not enough on such a narrow map. Falais was perfectly fine in 2.4 to say it simple though I enjoy the visual improvements in 2.45.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-09-2012, 14:09:55 »
I also like the addition but other then that and said visuals I also preffered 2.4
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-09-2012, 17:09:15 »
There is nothing wrong about variety, CQ maps vs. tanks maps, open maps vs. narrow maps and so on. But Falais is a map where you reach the limit of fun and frustration. It is a very one sided map now.
OK, well, I thought this thread was about pushmaps in general. Feedback on Falaise should go in it's feedbackthread if you want it to be noticed.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-09-2012, 21:09:58 »
 All pushmaps should have Objectives IMO.

It would open up the gameplay.

;)