Author Topic: Why not release FH 2 as a full game instead of a mod?  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Victhor-ash

• View Profile
Re: Why not release FH 2 as a full game instead of a mod?
« Reply #15 on: 04-07-2012, 14:07:13 »
But my point is why can't Forgotten hope be released as a free mod on steam so that everybody would know of it just look at these mods of Red orchestra: Darkest hour http://store.steampowered.com/app/1280/ and Mare Nostrum http://store.steampowered.com/app/1230/ these are free 2 play mods for Red orchestra Ostfront and incredibly are more popular than the original game.

Offline titsmcgee852

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04-07-2012, 17:07:52 »
The answer to that is most likely EA/DICE.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04-07-2012, 17:07:43 »
Victhor-ash; we have already been down that road :) It wont happen. We investigated just how it works to put a mod on Steam, it isn't worth it for us. And actually, we cant do it unless EA signs a deal with Steam about it. Tripwire already has that deal

- EA would need Quality Assurance people that checked everyhing we do (Steam wouldn't simply take our word for it, we aren't an official organisation or company, therefor we cant sign any deals)
 - Steam controls when you can release updates for the mod, they could simply turn you down (Darkest Hour mod was annoyed by this)
 - EA would actually need to own all our content, and they inturn send it to Steam, who releases it. We'd have to give up all our creative rights, as both EA and Steam could turn our content down (bugs, performance problems, something doesn't work so they need to troubleshoot etc etc)
 - EA would need coders that created Steam compatible packages for updates, installers etc

As you see, impossible. It is way more complicated both legally, and technically, to distribute and produce computer games than you might think :)
« Last Edit: 04-07-2012, 17:07:50 by Natty »

Offline Victhor-ash

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04-07-2012, 18:07:55 »
 :P too bad, I wouldve enjoyed a more accesible version of the game, I hate it when it happens like this, they closed down Alteriwnet because more people played on theyr servers rather than the original ones.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04-07-2012, 19:07:35 »
alteriwhat?

Steam isnt the holy grail of distribution. Today with everyone on high speed net etc, it's just as easy to create auto-updater yourself.

What we should have had from day1 (brrr) is a patcher. With it, we could make weekly updates instead of the 90's styled .exe files we now release as torrent/installers which the user need to download and then install.. so old

Auto-patcher would have caused us to have maybe 1,000 daily active players now, more than PR easily. Simply because we actually are a very agile team, we fix stuff very fast and add tons of content in between releases. Sadly, all that content drowns in all other content........ Since 2.4 we have made thousands of updates. We could have made 10-15 updates if we had a patcher. Then you would realise when we add a new tank to a map much more, or new kits, new weapons, new game modes etc

Whenever a map is done, we could release it for example. The client would not have to do anything, wait a few minutes for the patcher to update and go.
« Last Edit: 04-07-2012, 19:07:22 by Natty »

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04-07-2012, 19:07:42 »
Well it's not too late for patcher Natty?

I do agree that patcher is something we really should have, now that you brought it up. One thing that is drives people away, is the trouble of downloading and installing the mod. Many people actually are too lazy to do such simple task  :-X. I have tried to "sell" FH2 for quite some people, but whenever they start asking how exactly can they get this mod, they start thinking that maybe they are good with just vBF2.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04-07-2012, 20:07:56 »
spot on ajappat :) that is exactly it.

I've tried as well, but tbh, most people just *shrugs* at the thought of having to fiddle with files and install something in to a retail game. However, if they used an updater they wouldnt have any problems :)

- More players
- More frequent updates
- Easier installation process

However, it would have to rely on torrents (we cant afford to pay for bandwidth and host all the files ourselves) and torrents are unreliable (dependan on clients)

If you know someone who can build such system, with a clever data distribution solution (some torrent, some hosted combo or such) let us know. He'll be a dev in no time.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04-07-2012, 21:07:52 »
Giving up creative rights, you're right mate that does suck now that I really think about it.

A patcher... We could get a less-than-legal rip or perhaps a open source base and see where it goes from there. They've been done before, I think we would just need to customize it for FH2. Damn good idea!

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05-07-2012, 02:07:56 »
they are good with just vBF2.
Bought BF2 just to play FH2, have bought it for three friends (complete with self-burned installation discs) for the exact same purpose: none of them could be less interested about yet another modern lolware shooter, but "believable" (realistic seems to be a four-letter word here) historically accurate WW2 shooter is another thing.

Five minutes of vanilla told me that 1) the base game works as intended, so I can install the mod now and 2) WTF IS THIS SHIT

I mean, srsly. Watched electric rabbits bounce around (remember, this was before 1.5) and then one of them finally switched to walking. After a much longer burst that would have been realistic to assume, the same enemy shot me and I watched the sky until I was mysteriously "revived". Grabbed a tank when I could move again, and since the last tank game I played was the original M1 Tank Platoon, I barfed on the keyboard and swore never to try the helicopters lest they rape my memories of playing Gunship 2000, exited the game, and haven't touched vanilla ever since.

If someone is happy with vanilla BF2, how could we have ever hoped to get the interest of such a person in the first place?

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05-07-2012, 04:07:35 »
 We could probably recruit a ton of BF 2 guys if there wasn't so much open scepticism and criticism of the vanilla players.

Maybe they haven't heard of us yet. Could always try with the bigger clans and server communities. it has worked for me in the past.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05-07-2012, 06:07:57 »
Bought BF2 just to play FH2

Same here :)

I was quite the noob back in the day... One afternoon I was playing FH1 and someone in game said FH2 had been released. I was playing Omaha Charlie Sector, Pixel-Fighter server. I'll never forget that lol. I was literally glued to the news updates anxiously awaiting the release. As soon as I heard it was released during that game, I tweaked for a bit and actually ended up going to Walmart later where I promptly picked up my copy of BF2. Turns out I would have been well advised to verify if it was actually true that FH2 was out, because... It wasn't lol. Still had to wait three more months until FH2 was unveiled, but it was still completely worth it ;)

As far as the auto updater goes, I've got some tech saavy friends that do a bunch of goofing around with torrents. If you could give me some more technical requirements of what you're looking for, I'll see if I can bring some new recruits in.
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05-07-2012, 07:07:23 »
No you got to give BF2 the credit where it's due.

It is the FIRST big GAME that brought Modern warfare to the mainstreamers.

TBH, FH is the only game that urge me to deepen my knowledge about WW2 that I couldn't imagine of having before. At first I don't know if there are tons of vehicles in WW2, like Pz4, Pz5, and their variants... that Bf-109 has types, or what Spitfires flies in which theatre, guns, camos, tunics, uniform colours, and all that crazy shit. But all that nonsense slowly seeped into my mind because FH2 sparked my hunger for accuracy and realism.

Previously, I'm already satisfied with knowing that Airbus A320-200 is powered by IAE V-2500 engine, with 25k thrust (thus V2525 designation), manufactured by Pratt & Whitney, Rolls-Royce, and Japanese Aero Engine Corporation. Now I know that P-40E is powered by Packard "Merlin" V-1650-3 with roughly 1,200 hp rating at 14,000 feet. Now 7 years ago, I wouldn't dare to touch any WW2 reference book if FH didn't scratch my itch.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05-07-2012, 07:07:11 »
91 Metacritic. nuff said.

BF2 was an amazing product and it brought forth a new engine at the same time, also during its time the company was bought by EA and moved to new offices etc. It rates as one of the greates achievements in game developing history.

Was it fun to play? hell yea, in 2005. What other games were there really? I mean I prefered BFV and FH1 at the time, from 2006-2008 I was way too buried in mod work and Forgotten Honor tournament to have time for BF2, but I kind of regret not playing more vanilla. However Id say that after 2009 the game became almost unplayable. All the end gamers ruin the game for new players, and the spamming commanders, bunnyhoppers etc who abused the mechanics simply didnt make the game fun for others.

No game that only has hardcore end-gamers left is fun to play for other types of players. Especially since there were no matchmaking. Actually FH2 stands out here, you can come in a total n00b and still enjoy it.This is because we offer so many possibilities for many different player types, + the maps are so large you dont have to run in to the same twitch-shooter guy all the time.

There was a mod with a auto updater for 2142, and we spoke to them, however it was deemed too complicated to make one for BF2. That mod wasnt really happy with either. We concluded that the updater would only work for our internal beta patches, not for public distribution (too much data, too much bandwitdh etc...that mod was small and got just a few players so they could almost host the files from their own PC)
« Last Edit: 05-07-2012, 07:07:09 by Natty »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05-07-2012, 11:07:44 »
Actually FH2 stands out here, you can come in a total n00b and still enjoy it.

That is a VERY optimistic analysis. I would say that most noobs who try out Fh2 for the first time stop because they get their hands assed asses handed to them non stop. Many even seem to think that the game is populated by cheaters.

Offline Koketsu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05-07-2012, 21:07:48 »
Whenever i get folks to try FH2 i direct them to Desura, it downloads and installs FH2 in one go, even thse that have steam BF2.

click install, take a nap.. click play... done.
Dont laugh... im new :/