Author Topic: Winter War  (Read 5773 times)

Offline AyeMate

• View Profile
Winter War
« on: 14-06-2009, 23:06:32 »
Hello you all FH players :) i'd like to suggest a map of Winter War. like "battle of Raate road"  i know theres many Finnish and Russian players so i thought it would be nice if you could add some (or just 1) maps of winter war. just my suggestion  ::)

looking for someone to reply.

-sorry my english
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Winter War
« Reply #1 on: 14-06-2009, 23:06:49 »
Why Raatteentie? Why not something else like Terenttilä, Kollaa or Summa?

Could you give us an idea how to work an encirclement scenario into the gameplay? Why Raate?

As a suggestion, sure, it is a fine idea and I support it. Just a bit peculiar, given that we dont even have Normandy out. Quite pointless to suggest these sort of ideas so long before even confirmation of the next front. :)

Thanks for sharing your suggestion thought.

Perkele!

Offline AyeMate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-06-2009, 23:06:33 »
Why Raatteentie? Why not something else like Terenttilä, Kollaa or Summa?

just an example. yeah those would be nice too. ^_^

and i know that Normandy or battle of midway are way more wanted maps than ones of winter war. but theres always hope.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-06-2009, 23:06:42 »
Well it greatly depends where you ask that question. Quite many in these forums would love to see the finnish wars presented in FH2 at some point, me included (goes without saying).

Raate would be quite an interesting idea thought. Imagine that the finns have created a pocket of troops and material on the road by destroying vehicles on the road to create roadblocks and have some trees that have been cut down to add to the effectiveness of the roadblock. Have the map as an objective mode. Finns must destroy vital tanks and transports that are spread across the snake-like road in the midst of the tense forest.

The destroyable tanks could have their turrets active, but due to very narrow routes, it could not move off the road. So it remains stationary, but can still defend itself with its guns. Then have something like Zis trucks that are full of munitions, food rations and whatever supplies. These trucks would be stationary aswell and the russian infantry must defend them from the finnish attacks.

Of course, this kind of scenario could prove to be very hard to balance properly. But it would at least capture the battle quite well, imho.

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #4 on: 15-06-2009, 00:06:58 »
Finnish having good defensive positions and got some flags and one uncappable and russians would start with lot of armour and other suff in one base. After russians cap enough flags, all that suff wouldn't spawn and finnish guys would have their chance?
CMP Gaming

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-06-2009, 02:06:22 »
Toivon on konekivääri kelkka!!!

Isin't Finnish fun?

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-06-2009, 02:06:01 »
Toivon on konekivääri kelkka!!!

Isin't Finnish fun?

I think they are germans, not finns.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15-06-2009, 02:06:27 »
I never said they were Finnish. I know they're german. I was just speaking in Finnish.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15-06-2009, 02:06:37 »
You know, an encirclement map sounds kinda fun.  I know nothing about mapping, but couldn't you just put Ruskie flags all along the map's borders, and then one Finnish flag smack dab in the middle, therefore insuring a sure-to-be epic Finnish last standy sort of thing?

Edit:  Wait, are the Russians the encircled?  I don;t know anything about this battle, I just assumed that the Finns were the usual underdogs.

Offline GirlsHateMe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15-06-2009, 02:06:50 »
It would be nice to see the Winter War first before moving onto the Eastern Front.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15-06-2009, 03:06:08 »
You know, an encirclement map sounds kinda fun.  I know nothing about mapping, but couldn't you just put Ruskie flags all along the map's borders, and then one Finnish flag smack dab in the middle, therefore insuring a sure-to-be epic Finnish last standy sort of thing?

Edit:  Wait, are the Russians the encircled?  I don;t know anything about this battle, I just assumed that the Finns were the usual underdogs.

CPS, in the Winter and Continuation wars, it was the Finns doing the surrounding, and Raate Road is no oddball in that setting.  The Finns surrounded and annihilated the Russians, who were pinned and broken up on the long, twisting road.

Honestly, Flippy's idea seems the best scenario for representing it, but as has been stated before, its a LONG way off.  I do seem to recall, however, the devs were gifted some weapons (suomi, ppd, and such) by another mod, but even then, the Finnish wars are prob not gonna be seen in FH2 for a good long while.  There's just honestly more important theaters (Italy, Ostfront, Pacific) to get out first, before we can start doing the fun things.

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15-06-2009, 03:06:06 »
Honestly, Flippy's idea seems the best scenario for representing it, but as has been stated before, its a LONG way off.  I do seem to recall, however, the devs were gifted some weapons (suomi, ppd, and such) by another mod, but even then, the Finnish wars are prob not gonna be seen in FH2 for a good long while.  There's just honestly more important theaters (Italy, Ostfront, Pacific) to get out first, before we can start doing the fun things.

Indeed, we do have those weapons. However they will unlikely influence what decision will be made in regards to the next front. The next front will be decided by an internal vote among developers. We haven't even planned for this vote yet, and will probably not before some time after Normandy's release.
With that said, those weapons make up less then 1% of the requiered models to make a Finnish front.

I do hope for the Finnish front next though. We'll see what will happen though.

azreal

« Reply #12 on: 15-06-2009, 04:06:04 »
I'm just curious, besides Rad's pacific stuff and these Finnish models, what other things are you devs hording that came from other mods?

And couldn't the Finns just be added to the Early Ostfront like the Italinas/Aussies were added to N Afrika? Would make most sense to me. Do 1-2 Finnish maps and then let testers/community mappers do the rest.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15-06-2009, 06:06:36 »
Finns have very different gear, uniforms, and weaponry then the germans for continuation war stuff (WW1 german ammo pouch, prong belt, odd breadbag, their own version of the mosin, their own LMG, anti tank rifles, etc...), plus an add menagerie of WW1 german, hungarian, WW2 german, swedeish, czech, italian, and soviet helmets.  Honestly, I'd rather wait and see a Finnish army get made before I see finnish maps....  Hell, I would rather have seen no Italian maps until there was an italian army...

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15-06-2009, 09:06:08 »
Of course Finnish front aren't as important as Russian for example but it would be much more interesting because of the different tactics and weapons(molotovs etc). There would be some nice trench fights and forest fights with nicely concealed mg nests(that is why i loved finnwars for bf1942).