Author Topic: Dvd driver can't read regular Cds?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Roden

• Make war not love
    • View Profile
Dvd driver can't read regular Cds?
« on: 11-04-2009, 19:04:31 »
Dunno if this is right to post my little problem here

I am trying to re-installing Bf1942

but i cant even get it to load

the Dvd-Driver just loads for a bit and then nothing

Tried with other Cd same result

also tested to see if it was the actualy media

It can read DVD-Roms fine  ???

The driver is a NEC ND-3540a

It have been able to use CDs in past on it

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
Re: Dvd driver can't read regular Cds?
« Reply #1 on: 11-04-2009, 21:04:14 »
Taken from another forum:

'The first thing to try is to see if drive can see a bootable CD at boot time.

If it can, the drive is fine and you have a configuration problem with Windows.

If it can't, the part of the optics that read/write CD's has failed.'

Reading further the 3540 was known to have a rather weak CD laser, or so it has been said.

I'm no expert when it comes to drives, but from past experience they are relatively unreliable things and will frequently go bust on you. You may be in line for a new one matey.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-04-2009, 21:04:08 »
*moved from Off Topic to Help / support*

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-04-2009, 22:04:41 »
How Ironic. Can't really help you. But i got a _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG.
It does not read any original dvds. It reads CDs with ease, tends to read burned DVDs after some tries, but does not read silver original disks. I suspect some software issue as I got these problems since moving from an Win2k based AMD system to an WinXp based Intel system. I got Assassins Creed and Fallout 3 on my desk, but can't install neither of them. I got the same drive twice, and both fail, thus it is even more likely due to a software issue. I've just browsed the web and the list of solutions and different attempts is rather long. Currently I'm thinking about mounting one of the drives into another computer, accessing that as a network drive. Though I'm not sure whether that would help. If you got a laptop, connect it your computer and access the drive over a lan network.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-04-2009, 00:04:06 »
Your CD might be broken.

The same thing happened to my BF2 DVD. I put it in the drive and the DVD player tried to read it, but failed every time. Once I took a closer look at the DVD I noticed there was a little crack on the inside ring. You have to be very careful with broken disks, they spin around very quickly and could break. If they do they will literally explode and ruin your drive (I also had that happen to me once, though not with the BF2 DVD).

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #5 on: 12-04-2009, 00:04:56 »
Your CD might be broken.

The same thing happened to my BF2 DVD. I put it in the drive and the DVD player tried to read it, but failed every time. Once I took a closer look at the DVD I noticed there was a little crack on the inside ring. You have to be very careful with broken disks, they spin around very quickly and could break. If they do they will literally explode and ruin your drive (I also had that happen to me once, though not with the BF2 DVD).
Well he tried other CD's, like he already said.

Though I've also had that, BF1942 disc cracking into pieces while being in the drive. Seriously that scared the shit out of me, so much noise. No damage luckily.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-04-2009, 02:04:47 »
Ok, I've found a solution by updating the firmware to the latest version.

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/How-to-Flash

Go here and pick the latest firmware for your drive. Use the binflash tool offered on the same site. The version for WinXP/32 GUI worked like a charm. I had choosen Liggy's bitsetting firmware, not R8 but simply the latest in full numbers.
« Last Edit: 12-04-2009, 02:04:54 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom