Author Topic: Over The Top: No Mans Land Refurbishment  (Read 16123 times)

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
Over The Top: No Mans Land Refurbishment
« on: 23-09-2012, 18:09:49 »
Alright guys, going to leave this topic here to update from time to time with some articles regarding what I'm doing to hopefully restore No Mans Land to a working condition, and then to expand upon it.

-----------------------------------------------

Rubbing Off The Mud by Archimonday

It's been almost seven months now since I last saw any part of No Mans Land and its content, and five thousand miles from home the little projects I had going are now nonexistent. Upon returning from my training I had searched in vain for the old public release of NML, in hopes I might continue working on it in my spare time, but to my dismay a prompt on Gamefront informed me that new policy said that files which were not downloaded within a set period of time were deleted. Discouraged I moved on.

That was until last night, when a question about it in the General Discussion threw my gaze back on the old set of tweaked and modded files. Evidently somebody, somewhere, had done quite a bit of complaining to the old Filefront website, because all the files were now back and ready for download. I was excited, and quickly downloaded the old outdated public release, originally only intended to play one map.

To my dismay though the updates that have flooded Forgotten Hope 2 in my absence rendered the small modification useless. Crashes on every map were the norm. There is no need to threat however, No Mans Land still remains intact, and the few maps we had going for us are still ready to be fixed. However, which ones to save? Certainly we want the experience of both a large, and small map to test out the entirety of our efforts. Can both be achieved on the same ground? I believe so.

I remember mapping for Battlefield 1942, those were the golden days. Our clan fired out map packs, and I was even sucked onto the small team that turned out a map pack for Battlefield Pirates (another favorite mod of mine.) Battlefield 2 has, as of yet, really thrown me for a loop. I tried mapping about a year ago and found that I had little time to do so, and even then I knew very little of the Level Editor. Perhaps even less now. However, since I have returned from the blazing hot forests of Ft. Benning, GA. I've found a new understanding in some things I previously had none.

So whats the first thing I do? I open each map individually, replace flags, spawn points, and other like items. All in hopes that I can get one of the maps up and running on Forgotten Hope 2, and begin scratching off the mud left from almost a year in the trenches without use.

P.S. Administrators feel free to merge (or preferably) delete the old thread to tidy up a bit. This is where I'll be posting about anything I do for No Mans Land from now on.
« Last Edit: 23-09-2012, 18:09:42 by Archimonday »

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
Re: Over The Top: No Mans Land Refurbishment
« Reply #1 on: 23-09-2012, 18:09:38 »
So the mini-mod is back?  :)
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-09-2012, 18:09:07 »
Because I haven't been with FH2 all that long (well, around 2 years) I have no idea what this mini-mod is about. What kinds of maps and what era?

I'm always in support of more maps and more mini-mods. Thanks for putting in the work! I really wish I had the skills to do the same.

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-09-2012, 18:09:27 »
It was our simple attempt at World War 1.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-09-2012, 19:09:41 »
Looks like NML has got out from its grave! (amirite?  :D ) ;D I hope you get succesfull guys, me and all others are always here to support you! Good luck and please update this topic with your new content once in a while! Im so happy its back. Was waiting this kind of quality WW1 FPS since BF1918. Now I have a few questions for you:

- Do you have ground vehicles right now?

- Did BF1918 donate some things? (I know another mod donated a few biplanes)

- What are your future plans after you clean up the  old content remaining?

Gosh, Im so excited! Thanks for everything!  :) :D ;D

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-09-2012, 20:09:01 »

- Yes, we have a few armored cars.

- Yes, they donated quite a bit actually

- We'll see what happens in the future, right now I just wanna get the old maps working again.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-09-2012, 20:09:37 »

- Yes, we have a few armored cars.

- Yes, they donated quite a bit actually

- We'll see what happens in the future, right now I just wanna get the old maps working again.

Thanks for the answers. Are you te only one working on the minimod atm?

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-09-2012, 20:09:02 »
For the moment. Unless others wanna join in.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-09-2012, 20:09:17 »
You hear that people? We need modder here! wish I had modding skills, I'd really like to help   :-[
« Last Edit: 23-09-2012, 20:09:27 by TurkishCommando007/2 »

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23-09-2012, 20:09:52 »
You can always learn... it's not like the people developing games/mods were born with it, they had to start somewhere too. ;)

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-09-2012, 20:09:54 »
You can always learn... it's not like the people developing games/mods were born with it, they had to start somewhere too. ;)

I have future plans to start either vehicle skinning or doing playermodels, but you know; exams and educational stuff... :P Turkey's educational systems keeps getting worse and worse and never gives the student some free time  :-\ But I've a date set: next summer I'll give it a chance and start learning.  :)

Offline Graf_Radetzky(CZ)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23-09-2012, 21:09:44 »
What a suprise, after so long time! Best news for a longer while definitely.

What I'd suggest doing once the olde version is compatible, is to check the NML forums for informations, links, models and whatnot. There should aswell be link to our FTP I talked about in my earlier post.

Tally ho!

Offline chad509

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23-09-2012, 21:09:29 »
I cant wait for this, been a huge fan! Glad to hear it back in development. :)

Offline Archimonday

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23-09-2012, 21:09:13 »
Update as of 11:45. Cantigny is almost up and running, as soon as I find the damn object using a less than illustrious missile trail, it should be playable again.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23-09-2012, 21:09:26 »
Have you found a solution to the casual CTD's Radetzky was talking about?  :)