Author Topic: Operation Downfall: The Invasion of Japan  (Read 10074 times)

Offline Anlushac11

• View Profile
Re: Operation Downfall: The Invasion of Japan
« Reply #15 on: 04-04-2009, 12:04:54 »
31,000 was within the first 30 days and that was an official estimate. By 1945, the Japanese were defeated. Their army and navy was destroyed, moral was abysmally low, the people just wanted the war to be over, the soldiers were poorly supplied/trained and with likewise low morale, and the Japanese military -which didn't want to surrender- was relying heavily on civilian militias (which were poorly trained and supplied, and didn't want to fight so I suspect high levels of desertion).

The figure for the first 30 days only applies if the fighting had been concluded within 30 days. That was highly unlikely.  Look at casualty projections for 90 to 120 days.

This implied that a 90-day Olympic campaign would cost 456,000 casualties, including 109,000 dead or missing. If Coronet took another 90 days, the combined cost would be 1,200,000 casualties, with 267,000 fatalities.[37]

It took almost 3 months to subdue Okinawa from just over 100,000 men. The Japanese had amassed 900,000 men in Kyushu.

Do you think the Japanese would have fought any less ferociously to defend the sacred home islands than they did at Iwo Jima or Okinawa? If anything they would have fought harder.

Many Japanese civilians who were not mobilized on Okinawa lept off cliffs to their deaths rather than face US troops who they were told were bloodthirsty killers  who would kill the men, rape the women, and eat their babies. The civilian militia's were being trained with bamboo spears and in one recorded case a teenage Japanese girl told of how she was instructed how best to kill Americans with  awl, even if she could only kill one she was told that was good enough. 

The Japanese considered Emperor Hirohito to be a living decendant of the Gods. Above all else was duty to the Emperor. I do believe there would have been a large number of Japanese civilians who would have fought with hand weapons agains the Allies even if it was out of a misguided sense of duty.

Your estimate of a poorly trained and poorly equipped Army is only half correct.

Starting in late 1943 the IJA had started stripping equipment and trained troops from the Kwantung Army  and moving it to reinforce the Pacific. As the Allies got closer and closer many units and much of the equipment were moved to the home islands in anticipation of the coming invasion. 

The IJA had 60 divisions. They had equipment for 40 divisions and ammo for 30 divisions.

The casualty projections were based on the ferocity of the fighting at Iwo Jima and Okinawa, the estimates of Japanese troop strengths, the estimates of equipment, and the estimates that this time civilain militias would be involved.

As stated above the US grossly underestimated the number of Japanese troops in the area.

The last hurrah's had been hurrahed out at Iwo and Okinawa. And in the mean time, the Emperor was attempting to sue for a conditional surrender where they'd give up if the Imperial dynasty was kept intact. They were even willing to have the Emperor just as an allied puppet. The Japanese were also not the suicidal yellow menace (at least by now; the civilians especially not). I mean, for God's sake, the Emperor and military feared open rebellion if the war kept up. Does that sound like people who are going to  en masse fanatically blow themselves up at every soldier that comes on the beach?

You seem to imply that Japan was no longer capable of organized resistance and had nothing left to fight with.

That is most definitely not the case. As stated before the Japanese military had amassed 900,000 men into 60 divisions, had 10,000 aircraft, and equipment for 40 divisions and ammo for 30 divisions.

The IJN was all but destroyed but was not completely out of the fight yet.

The IJN also had about 100 Kōryū-class midget submarines, 250 smaller Kairyū-class midget submarines, 1,000 Kaiten manned torpedoes, and 800 Shin'yō suicide boats.

I suggest you read a book called "Japan's Longest Day" http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Longest-Pacific-Research-Society/dp/4770028873

Its a historically true account of the attempt by a group of fanatical Military officers to overthrow the civilian part of the government, place the Emperor in protective custody, and issue a order in the name of the Emperor for all  military and all civilians to fight to the death in defense of the homelands and the emperor rather than face dishonor. The group came scarily close to almost succeeding.

It was not going to be a million(s) dead or wounded. Tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands perhaps (and official estimates at the end of the war do support that I believe), but not a million or more. And couple that with the additional possibility of a Japanese rebellion against the military regime during that time and you could see US casualties and the cost of invasion cut further.

I do not believe for a second the Japanese civilians would have rebelled against the Military and by extension the Emperor, not in a million years. It goes against their value of "Giri" and their sense of honor.

You seem to think Operation Coronet would have ended within 30 days and the casualties would have been within the original 30 day estimates.

I think Operation Olympic would have gone on for over 180 days due to fanatical and fierce resistance. I think the fighting in Operation Olympic would have been so fierce that the Allies would have had to delay Operation Coronet probably til spring of 1946.

Operation Coronet would have had fewer casualties than planned because the Japanese would have really expended themselves in the South and lost what they had left trying to fight a tactical withdrawl up Kyushu under the cover of Allied airpower.

"And will you continue, until there are no more Narns, and no more Centauri? If both sides are dead, no one will care which side deserves the blame. It no longer matters who started it, G'Kar. It only matters who is suffering" - Ambassador Kosh Naranek

Offline Emperor Showa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04-04-2009, 19:04:37 »
The figure for the first 30 days only applies if the fighting had been concluded within 30 days. That was highly unlikely.  Look at casualty projections for 90 to 120 days.

This implied that a 90-day Olympic campaign would cost 456,000 casualties, including 109,000 dead or missing. If Coronet took another 90 days, the combined cost would be 1,200,000 casualties, with 267,000 fatalities.[37]

Firstly, those casualties were figures from April and from the Joint chiefs. Studies done by the Pacific generals (MacArthur, Nimitz, etc.) Estimated figures in the tens of thousands initially and in the hundreds of thousands for a long range cost (up to 125,000 in 120 days in MacArthur's initial study, and I believe something like 100,000 in the revised after 120 days). Likewise, those continued revisions came with more information on how many Japanese soldiers were there.

It took almost 3 months to subdue Okinawa from just over 100,000 men. The Japanese had amassed 900,000 men in Kyushu.

Do you think the Japanese would have fought any less ferociously to defend the sacred home islands than they did at Iwo Jima or Okinawa? If anything they would have fought harder.

Many Japanese civilians who were not mobilized on Okinawa lept off cliffs to their deaths rather than face US troops who they were told were bloodthirsty killers  who would kill the men, rape the women, and eat their babies. The civilian militia's were being trained with bamboo spears and in one recorded case a teenage Japanese girl told of how she was instructed how best to kill Americans with  awl, even if she could only kill one she was told that was good enough.

And the US casualties were 12,513 dead, 38,916 wounded. Okinawa was at a point when the Japanese had a last stand and I would say were still in ok enough condition to fight. By the time you get to attacking Japan, everything was in shambles. Okinawa is like the Battle of the Bulge. A last stand against imminent doom before a slow crash to the ground where all that could be offered by the Germans was eventually just half hearted resistance forces. Likewise, looking at Okinawa as a sign of even more vicious conflict would be like looking at the Battle of the Bulge as a sign of a more vicious conflict once you get to invading Germany. I understand the whole Samurai honor seppuku ideology as the reason to think the Japanese would have done what the Germans were only perhaps feared to do, but I don't believe the civilians could have or would have done it on any large scale, the defeat mentality was setting in by late '45, and I think the mass mentality would have led most to surrender even to what they viewed as a vicious enemy rather than most jumping off cliffs and cutting their throats (I also have doubts about the Japanese publics perception of the US and US troops as raping, murdering barbarians. I mean, we had been very, very close allies and friends and it really is an oddity that we came to blows. And I would posit the Japanese, not being robots, remembered that.).

The Japanese considered Emperor Hirohito to be a living decendant of the Gods. Above all else was duty to the Emperor. I do believe there would have been a large number of Japanese civilians who would have fought with hand weapons agains the Allies even if it was out of a misguided sense of duty.

It would perhaps have been a large number, but I would not say any majority or anything beyond a few thousand. The Japanese were very demoralized and very war weary. I mean, I have also known a few Japanese veterans from the Pacific war, and from what they say from what they saw and thought, from what they said the civilians weren't really going to put up any massive resistance against incoming Americans.

Your estimate of a poorly trained and poorly equipped Army is only half correct.

Starting in late 1943 the IJA had started stripping equipment and trained troops from the Kwantung Army  and moving it to reinforce the Pacific. As the Allies got closer and closer many units and much of the equipment were moved to the home islands in anticipation of the coming invasion. 

The IJA had 60 divisions. They had equipment for 40 divisions and ammo for 30 divisions.

The casualty projections were based on the ferocity of the fighting at Iwo Jima and Okinawa, the estimates of Japanese troop strengths, the estimates of equipment, and the estimates that this time civilain militias would be involved.

As stated above the US grossly underestimated the number of Japanese troops in the area.

The Japanese ammunition and equipment (which was very, very poorly produced by this point, by the way) as you said was only available to a limited number of divisions. Likewise, I have doubts on the longevity of that supply. And of those 900,000, many of them lack equipment or had very poor equipment which neuters much of that supposed troop strength. So you have a fraction of those Japanese troops actually fighting in any form that could be considered armed combat which has an effect on US casualties and the high possibility of them falling back and regrouping, falling back and regrouping as American forces take ground (and of course, not all of those 900,000 would die).

You seem to imply that Japan was no longer capable of organized resistance and had nothing left to fight with.

That is most definitely not the case. As stated before the Japanese military had amassed 900,000 men into 60 divisions, had 10,000 aircraft, and equipment for 40 divisions and ammo for 30 divisions.

The IJN was all but destroyed but was not completely out of the fight yet.

I imply that the Japanese strength based on numbers is superficial. Guns run on bullets, men fight with guns, and airplanes need men and gasoline. All of those were lacking (in many cases with great severity), poorly produced, or not there at all. And that would only get worse as they were put to use.

I suggest you read a book called "Japan's Longest Day" http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Longest-Pacific-Research-Society/dp/4770028873

Its a historically true account of the attempt by a group of fanatical Military officers to overthrow the civilian part of the government, place the Emperor in protective custody, and issue a order in the name of the Emperor for all  military and all civilians to fight to the death in defense of the homelands and the emperor rather than face dishonor. The group came scarily close to almost succeeding.

I point out that they came only close in succeeding in the coup. The order to all civilians to fight to the death and that order actually being followed with tenacity was never seen. Likewise, that was the military. Not the people, not the dynasty, not even the soldiers. And the military was the closest thing to the Nazi commanders that you could compare. They didn't want to give up and told the civilians to fight to the death against the invaders for their leader and homeland. I would view orders like that having as much effect as this.

I do not believe for a second the Japanese civilians would have rebelled against the Military and by extension the Emperor, not in a million years. It goes against their value of "Giri" and their sense of honor.

That's straight from Hirohito's and the high command's mouth to your and my ears. And frankly, who knows Japan better than the Japanese. Likewise, it wouldn't be the first time the Japanese rebelled. And even if they were still devoted to the emperor, they could, like Shogun's and even the military, overthrow the real leaders (in this case, the military regime) and keep the emperor intact in some form or another.

You seem to think Operation Coronet would have ended within 30 days and the casualties would have been within the original 30 day estimates.

No, I think that the estimations for the first 30 days were a good sign of the actual figures of an invasion and a sign of how many casualties there really would have been, which would have ranged within the thousands not millions.

I think Operation Olympic would have gone on for over 180 days due to fanatical and fierce resistance. I think the fighting in Operation Olympic would have been so fierce that the Allies would have had to delay Operation Coronet probably til spring of 1946.

I doubt fanatical resistance from all but the soldiers, and even believe the soldiers would lose their tenacity and ferosiosuness as time went on. Likewise, the Japanese civilians -in large numbers- evacuated areas of Japanese control as well late in the war (Sakhalin, Kuriles, Chosen, Kwantung and Manchukuo), which leads me to suspect the same would have happened in areas of US invasion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation_of_Karafuto_and_Kuriles). I also think you have to take into account what the Japanese perhaps did not know or know well enough as well, which was the Soviet factor. As you have the Russian bear sweeping from the north, I suspect heavy resources would have been devoted there -perhaps even from Kyushu and so forth-, and as both sides, American/British and Soviet, presented a threat, I suspect more resources being devoted to the North to defend against the Russians (perhaps even stopping that infamous North Japan alternate history buffs love) and the peace faction of Japanese politics gaining strength and surrendering to the Western allies thus saving their island. From everything I know, the Japanese leaders really did hate Communism with a vengeance.

And while I appreciate you keeping this topic afloat and while this is OK and even desirable in moderation, by the point that you get to this long of a debate, it kinda draws away from the goal of "Hey, what about putting some of these in game" and discussing that. So I'm not going to discuss this further.
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 02:04:49 by Emperor Showa »

Offline Emperor Showa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04-04-2009, 23:04:59 »
To get back somewhat on topic, what battles could come from Downfall?

Of course we have:

• Operation Olympic
  • Operation Coronet

Which could either be done, if ever mapped, as the initial invasions of those operations.

From there you also have:

• Battle for Tokyo*

And from there, you could also have the Soviet invasion to the North and Northwest which could likewise be focused on. So while a lot of that could just be covered in the real life "Operation August Storm", there could be a few battles within the main Japanese island and Hokkaido.

*This I would really like to see because it would be a unique city outside of the usual vanilla building filled ones.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05-04-2009, 00:04:22 »
Tokyo city map would require tons of new statics... but FH2 will do them, i hope.

BUt im up for a map whit Hills.. i heard Kyushu was filled of Bunkers and Hills whit trenches and old Howitzers.. if im going to map something when the Pacific is released.. THAT would be my map.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05-04-2009, 01:04:19 »
I thought the flapjacks were canceled because they shacked and wobbled like an S.O.B.?

I heard they were canceled because they were not jets. I also heard they had very good performance.

Digging deeper, I find this explanation:
The Navy was seeking appropriations for additional carriers. If the honorable gentlemen on [capitol] hill were to learn that the Navy had a high-performance fighter that could be flown off any small vessel, why would any new aircraft carriers be needed?

In addition, it was so durable they had to use a wrecking ball to dissemble it.

But that's not a good range to vaporize GI's. Grin

OK, give it long range, but make the damage over time and, to represent the fact that a defense system based on them would have required more power than was produced in the entire world, make every other Japanese weapon on the map not work while one of those if functional. And give the U.S. its wonder weapon, too, the atom bomb.

Anyone think a U.S. liberation of China would be a good map? That was the navy's preferred plan: Take china and all surrounding territories, and blockade Japan until they starved to death.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Emperor Showa

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05-04-2009, 01:04:47 »
Tokyo city map would require tons of new statics... but FH2 will do them, i hope.

An idea I've had, which may seem out there but I don't think is really all that odd but rather unique, is perhaps a Sub-Dev team to deal with Operation Downfall. IE, people who aren't in the other devs but can do such things working on objects and stuff for Downfall. Sort of like a mini-mod within the mod. That could happen though I have my doubts on it actually happening.

But that's not a good range to vaporize GI's. Grin

OK, give it long range, but make the damage over time and, to represent the fact that a defense system based on them would have required more power than was produced in the entire world, make every other Japanese weapon on the map not work while one of those if functional. And give the U.S. its wonder weapon, too, the atom bomb.

Well I was sort of half joking. I don't know how I feel on the Ku-Go because I like it but it may be just too out there. The atom bomb is something I don't know how you could work out in game. (IE, A bomber drops it: Everyone on the map dies, Game over). You could do something like a battle in a landscape set a few hours after a bomb was dropped, with destroyed buildings and foliage and background radiation and a green mist or something (that was a plan, btw. They would nuke an area and send in troops soon after to secure it. Of course, they didn't understand the effects of radiation and residual radiation back then).
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 01:04:25 by Emperor Showa »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05-04-2009, 02:04:10 »
US know about radiotation.. Japan dindt.

People in Hiroshima started to drink the Rain.. wich was black due to the Radiation. And most of them Died.

Really? you want that? a map where a nuke was dropped and the US sends a force there? Sorry but that idea is pretty bad imo.

Offline Danger X

• I wish we stayed neutral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05-04-2009, 02:04:07 »
No, that doesn't sound appealing.

A dogfight during the flight toward the island would be neat though..

Just after the bomb really won't work. Except if you want to make a zombie mod for FH2.
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 02:04:06 by Danger X »
As my tutor, old Bubbleface, used to say:"Make love and be merry, for tomorrow you may catch some disgusting skin disease."

Rowan Atkinson as The Black Adder

Offline Emperor Showa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05-04-2009, 02:04:55 »
US know about radiotation.. Japan dindt.[

People in Hiroshima started to drink the Rain.. wich was black due to the Radiation. And most of them Died.

No, the US didn't know about radiation and its effects either.

Really? you want that? a map where a nuke was dropped and the US sends a force there? Sorry but that idea is pretty bad imo.
No, that doesn't sound appealing.

You have a desolate, post-apocalyptic looking, perhaps even World War 1 "No Man's Land"-esq landscape with US and Japanese forces rushing in. That sounds cool to me if it were to be done correctly. Though its not in my top 10.

Just after the bomb really won't work. Except if you want to make a zombie mod for FH2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbvP7dT3Dx0

Offline Anlushac11

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05-04-2009, 02:04:07 »
Operation Olympic battles:

Miyazaki - east coast

Ariake harbour - Down by tip in a bay

Kushikino - On west side facing the Sea Of Japan.

Operation Coronet would have landed troops on either side of Tokyo Bay and moved into Tokyo in a pincers movement.

As Emperor Showa stated one of the plans called on the US to drop a series of nukes to blast a radioactive corridor into the heart of Tokyo. The US Marines were supposed to rush in through that corridor to seize the heart of the city. We can guess what the results would have been.

There would be a possible need for some equipment

Shin'yo suicide boat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinyo_(suicide_boat)

Type 3 Ho-Ni tank destroyer
http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/newfolder/Ho-Ni3.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_3_Ho-Ni_III

Type 3 Chu-Ni medium tank.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_3_Chi-Nu

IJA Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate Type 4 fighter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_Ki-84

IJN Mitsubishi A6M6c Reisen Type 0 Model 53c fighter - Similar to A6M5 Type 0 Model 52 Zero. Had self sealing tanks and water methanol injection. If its going to be fighting Lightnings, Thunderbolts, Corsairs, Hellcats, and Mustangs its gonna need all the help it can get.

« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 02:04:33 by Anlushac11 »
"And will you continue, until there are no more Narns, and no more Centauri? If both sides are dead, no one will care which side deserves the blame. It no longer matters who started it, G'Kar. It only matters who is suffering" - Ambassador Kosh Naranek

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05-04-2009, 03:04:20 »
Im 100% Up for this.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05-04-2009, 03:04:11 »
Im 100% Up for this.

well, then start modding  ;) who does the Arisaka?

Offline Emperor Showa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05-04-2009, 04:04:11 »
Im 100% Up for this.

The FH2 team? Unless they screw us over and have the Japanese soldiers all fist fight in the Pacific.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05-04-2009, 05:04:25 »
Im 100% Up for this.

Map or die

Offline Emperor Showa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05-04-2009, 05:04:28 »
...or vote.  But politicians screwing you over is far less enjoyable than taking Tokyo by force.