Author Topic: Achtung, Spitfeuer: Pilots gather!  (Read 18108 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: Achtung, Spitfeuer: Pilots gather!
« Reply #60 on: 25-08-2009, 08:08:25 »
I as well only fly with joystick and keyboard (which you might have seen on hslan when I go crashing down)

Works well but a joystick is optimal

Hey, all you guys with joystick how do you use the freelook view? One hand on the joystick and one on the mouse or any other special solution?

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 25-08-2009, 19:08:37 »
JoytoKey is really the only solution I know of.  About half the posts in this topic are devoted to getting JoytoKey to work.  Of course, it's only needed if you use a joystick, mouse and keyboard flyers don't really need it.

Offline Gl@mRock

• À vaincre sans périls, on triomphe sans gloire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 25-08-2009, 22:08:33 »
What joystick would you recommend for FH2 flying?

Thx!

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 26-08-2009, 00:08:31 »
Whatever feels comfortable in your hand.  Make sure it has an adjustable throttle, Z-Axis (you can twist the stick itself for rudder control), and a Hat switch.  The more buttons it has, the better.  In addition to the firing trigger, 3-5 extra buttons on the head is nice.  A few extra buttons on the base are nice too.  In all, you need buttons for Fire, Alt Fire, Map, Gunsights, Airbrake, and Rear View.  Extra buttons for Change Ammo, Enter/Exit Vehicle, and Parachute are nice to have but not really necessary.  You can always find some use for extra buttons, but you will definitely notice if you don't have enough for the basics.

I have a Saitek Cyborg EVO Wireless Joystick.  It was $20-30 dollars a few years ago and works perfectly fine for me.  Looking through this topic, other people have mentioned what kind of joystick they have and what they think of it, so look back through the topic for more suggestions.  I wouldn't spend too much money, especially if it's only for BF2/FH2.  As long it has the stuff I listed above, it should be fine.  If you want, post which joysticks you're considering and we can critique them, I guess.

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 26-08-2009, 01:08:41 »
So....

You think this is good enough? haha

Imagine flying with that :o

http://www.lekseecon.nl/images/FlightSimulator/Boeing-767-flightsimulator.JPG

(Sorry old link was a 404)
« Last Edit: 26-08-2009, 03:08:48 by :| Hi »

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 26-08-2009, 01:08:26 »
Whatever that is, it doesn't show up for me.  I don't know if the link is broken or what...

Offline ottozeimer

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 07-09-2009, 09:09:10 »
fighter plane tips

ground attack:

tip 1. if you see friendlies killed by 25pounder, go the the enemy main base and do couple of strafe runs on enemy artillery - saves many friendly lives and gives you and easy target that 90 % of time cant shoot back, i bet they are eating chips and sipping coke while on artillery.

Tip 2 use the map/mini map. you see the grey AA icon dissapear, the go somewhere further away. Once you know the map you can practice dive attack on the AA. a good vertical attack is unstoppable by a single AA.

dogfighting

tip 3 if you are chased by enemy fighter, go to your nearest plane, even if it is the slow stuka or spotter plane. that gives your opponent to think about rechoosing the target., which gives you enough time to do a loop or a 360% and get on the 6 of the enemy. of course, it might sacrifice your wingman, but its better 1 plane for 1 plane than you and your wingmen on the ground.

tip 4 if a friendly reports that he mounted the AA, try to go near him and dogfight there the chances are that he can distinguish the planes and he would shoot down the enemy.

tip 5 never attack other plane from other position than right behind him. otherwise - waste of ammo. This was especially true before the hit-box fix with the 1.5. still it is 10 times easier to down a plane if you get on his six because you can stay there for long and do a target practise. slow down with air breaks if necessary but a 1 sec MG burst kills anything.

tip 6 the most important tip of all - as everyone said - use the mouselook but do it this way - fly sideways. when searching almost always sideways, or even belly up. that gives you more view on possible enemies. sideways - look at one side, then roll to other side and  search again. works well for any plane. you see a trail of smoke? maybe a silhouette, now get on his tail and teach him some manners

Offline pailhead

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 27-10-2009, 14:10:04 »
I managed to set it up, but it is extremely slow. I tried it on the typhoon in totalize and it takes a few seconds to move the view all the way in one direction. Is there a way to make this faster, or even absolute... like as soon as you click it moves to the extreme?

Also, why is the pov thing limited to only 4 buttons, mine has 8 directions?

Offline ottozeimer

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 27-10-2009, 16:10:04 »
I managed to set it up, but it is extremely slow. I tried it on the typhoon in totalize and it takes a few seconds to move the view all the way in one direction. Is there a way to make this faster, or even absolute... like as soon as you click it moves to the extreme?

Also, why is the pov thing limited to only 4 buttons, mine has 8 directions?

well under the tab "Actions" in Joy2key, there is speed, acceleration, set it up for your convenience. just make sure you chose the mouse movement function.

Offline pailhead

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 27-10-2009, 17:10:36 »
My sensitivity was set to 0.1 hence the reason for slow movement. I still hate the planes :(

It seems that i can move the view diagonally but it tends to fail, like if i let it go. Ill try using the pov just for mouse movement and i will actually hold the ctrl to enable it.

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 27-10-2009, 23:10:47 »
Using the Joy2Key Hatswitch thing does have it's disadvantages.  For example, you have less fine control over it.  However, it is still useful, and I personally prefer it over switching hands from stick to mouse and back again.  But to each his own, I suppose.

It's good to know you actually got it working, though.  I'm sorry you don't like it.  You can play around with other configs to see if you can find some way to make it better for you, but if your fine how you are, that's fine.

(Quick suggestion, perhaps mapping your "Activate Mouselook" button to your joystick or even a button on your mouse and using the mouse to have better control over the Mouselook than the hat switch?  You might have to switch hands from throttle control to the mouse, but it might for you.)

Offline Captmohamed

• I'll be down in my Bunker if you need me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 01-11-2009, 12:11:32 »
So....

looks like a home made Flight Simulator  :)
'If something can go wrong, it will, and it will do so at a place in time to cause maximum embarrassment'.
Murphy's Law

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 01-11-2009, 15:11:14 »
Indeed it is, most people that make these end up spending like $2000-6000
on these at the least

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #73 on: 04-11-2009, 01:11:19 »

So....

looks like a home made Flight Simulator  :)

BF2 ENGINE NOT COMPATIBLE!

*boom*

Offline W4lt3r

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 10-11-2009, 13:11:27 »
My trick in just about any plane, stay as high as possible. Depending on the craft determines whom I am going after, if it's a air superiority fighter, naturally i go for every single plane spot my team decides to give.

During the dive i aim about width of a mid finger ahead of the target and close it gradually as i get closer. Usually the rounds hit the thing dead on and it should be after the first pass or very heavily damaged.

That's the most common style I use and works quite well, since AA doesn't tend to fire at high-altitude targets but focuses at low altitude ones.

If it's a tank buster I'm flying and a tank spot appears on the map, I usually leave grid or two space between me and my target and might slow down the throttle a bit (about 20% at most) to give me some extra time to find that hiding tin can before showing up some Rockets / 40mm's through it's top armor.

Dive Bomber, just about the same but basically a 90 degree dive with dive horns on. Tiger / KT / Matilda / Valentine gets the 500 kg / 250kg while other tanks usually get the 4x 50's on them. Right after release i pull up and head towards friendly lines and hopefully away from enemy triple A.

But if one wants to really become a good pilot, testing out IL-2 1946 war flight simulator might be worth a while, since that teaches you the best possible class of leading your rounds to your target.