Author Topic: Battlefield "1"  (Read 14442 times)

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield "1"
« Reply #60 on: 14-05-2016, 23:05:46 »

About your argument: I see what you mean, but as a history teacher I have to correct views of kids very often. They take those views from watching a movie or Youtube, and although you are right about people looking for history in a movie being naive and wrong, most people are not actively looking for history there, but they are being fed "history" passively while watching something like SPR. Fortunately, kids are flexible and can bend their views quite easily after some explanation/education/research. Adults however are much more stubborn, they will not even admit they they start to believe something is historical just because they saw it in a historical drama, but that happens very often.

For Verdun I will give another chance, but I will be playing lonely, but many of my friend will have BF1.

Like I said, it's naive from them, that's why you can explain it to them. I do that I lot to the people that surround me and I see the results.

That's said not everyone will see the light. It's not the fault of video game or movies, since they doesn't try to be historically accurate. It's a problem of worldview and pride. For example, someone with whom I was working saw a national geographic documentary about the maya and came to talk to me about it. I said to him that the documentary made mistake and he was piss. What can I do about it ? nothing, but that's not a real problem. If he doesn't want to learn it's his loss, not mine, not to history, simply because behind the rejection his behavior show that he don't want to learn.

You can't blame alcool because some drunk and drive or because others are alcoholic. You can't blame stubbornness and ignorance on arts and entertainment.

Even FH2 is not historical on many thing, it doesn't prevent that's a good game nor that many people will learn because of it.
« Last Edit: 14-05-2016, 23:05:21 by Alakazou »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 15-05-2016, 04:05:27 »
Yes, video games and television might be harmless. That Harlem Hellfighter DLC at less than $5 during Pre-Order though, it is quite interesting actually. But as a "themed sets". I don't know how it will play out, but they have specific segregated command unit in WW1 in US Army. But then, integrated into unsegregated French command. Also, the first to enter Germany? They were called Hellfighter by the Germans because of their ferocity in fighting?

Regarding spreading false information and our own filtering ability: I am a balanced person, thus I ask about Hitler vs. FDR cordiality to blacks, German vs. US (the WW2 victors) and reconfirm my knowledge. I know you lot have some qualifications, Slayer is a teacher, Mudra is educated historian, Alakazou is educated archaeologist. Well, I should source my materials carefully.

That black Olympic gold medalist (Jesse Owens) anecdote is one of those examples of twist & bend propaganda. It might seem harmless if that slightly inaccurate fact was presented like that. But to my Muslim friends, this anecdote is prone to be twisted into "winners re-write history", and then pro-Hitler message (e.g: see, Hitler is not really as racist as the 'Muricans actually was), which leads to anti-Israel (and anti-Jewish sentiment in general). For a lot of people outside the first and second world, Holocaust rarely have any significant meaning. My father was educated in Singapore (British system) and Canada (Montreal, Quebec), this is how he knows how serious it was. But others, well you have seen an Indonesian guy signing up in this forum posing with his sig runes avatar, as if that will fly cool even to our neo-nazi bunches. There is SS-themed cafe in Bandung, Indonesia. And one of our most famous artist, wore farby SS uniform during presidential election campaign.

According to my father, USA consisted of 50% blacks, as seen on movies. He didn't believe it when I say it was only 13-15%. Now, representation of blacks in movies anyone? He is quite okay though with almost no Asian in major pictures or music scenes. While, recently the SJWs made a fuss about that. I said to him that Latinos and Asians are under-represented, actually the number of Latinos are almost twice of the blacks. He is finding it difficult to accept either. I am beginning to agree with the SJWs now, but not the engineering diveristy part. If you ask, what's the harm? Well, this suddenly makes USA looks incredibly and systematically racist (which it is, but not that much). That plays well to the likes of Chinese Communist party piece, the North Korea, ISIS, and Iran propaganda machine. It keeps and legitimises racist policy in Asia very well (take a look at Malaysia's blatant discriminatory act, a Malay guy told me that "USA is no better").
« Last Edit: 15-05-2016, 04:05:53 by Zoologic »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 15-05-2016, 23:05:22 »
For Verdun I will give another chance, but I will be playing lonely, but many of my friend will have BF1.
Add me on Steam and we can play together :)

It's not the fault of video game or movies, since they doesn't try to be historically accurate.
No, and I'm not blaming (pop) culture for deforming historical views. But it is very much a factor in how views are made, and like I said, sometimes even without the person acknowledging it.

I agree that sparking interest is a great thing: it's just a bit sad that people often don't go any further than this "popular" form of history, and take it for real. And then the real historians have to defend their educated views ;)

Offline Alakazou

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 17-05-2016, 02:05:32 »
Add me on Steam and we can play together :)
Yeah I will do that when I will reinstall verdun

No, and I'm not blaming (pop) culture for deforming historical views. But it is very much a factor in how views are made, and like I said, sometimes even without the person acknowledging it.

I agree that sparking interest is a great thing: it's just a bit sad that people often don't go any further than this "popular" form of history, and take it for real. And then the real historians have to defend their educated views ;)

I understand your point of view, but I think if someone doesn't want to go further, most of the time, they will not talk about it. If they talk about it and thing they are right, I will not care simply because they doesn't have learning to heart.

And sure many people can't acknowledge it, simply because it's our worldview. Worldview ensure that we are taking for absolute truth, thing without challenge it. In a way it's sad, but we can't save everyone.

I will focus on those who want to learn. Even if we lose some people, we will change the view of  others and that's in my opinion what worth it.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 25-05-2016, 05:05:10 »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 25-05-2016, 11:05:57 »
Funny thing is that the BF1 trailer didnt make me want to play that game, but the FHSW trailer makes me want to play FHSW.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 25-05-2016, 15:05:11 »
That was well done! ;D

If it had some content from BF1918 it would be even better.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 06-06-2016, 23:06:00 »
If your weapon of choice is an assault rifle or a powerful LMG, Battlefield 1 is loaded with guns to scratch your trigger finger on.

There are six categories of weapons.
There are your Shotguns (great for blasting enemies from up close), SMGs (made for short range rapid-fire), LMGs (amazing at tearing things apart from medium range), Semi Autos (balanced and powerful), Sidearms (great in a pinch), and Sniper Rifles (which do exactly what you think).

UGHHHHHHH  >:(

Because the first thing that comes to mind when playing a WW1 game is fast paced LMG and SMG action? Or am i misunderstanding something?

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 07-06-2016, 00:06:52 »
Oooh, assault rifles... do they come in black and polished steel?

lol no explicit mention of bolt rifles

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 07-06-2016, 02:06:56 »
Does everyone with a nostalgia boner for BF1942 remember the Japanese getting the 'Type 4' (type 5) rifle?... you know, the one where only 250 were ever made, and never actually saw action, and were designed in 1944, yet they were carried on Wake Island in game?

I wonder if those guys complain about Battlefield 1's accuracy :P

Offline Alakazou

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 07-06-2016, 20:06:24 »
Does everyone with a nostalgia boner for BF1942 remember the Japanese getting the 'Type 4' (type 5) rifle?... you know, the one where only 250 were ever made, and never actually saw action, and were designed in 1944, yet they were carried on Wake Island in game?

I wonder if those guys complain about Battlefield 1's accuracy :P

I think many people have just understand that BF1 would not be historically accurate and they are in shock. :P

Offline Berkolok

• Desert maps sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 12-06-2016, 23:06:54 »
new footage shows that it will be just reskinnned bf4.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 13-06-2016, 00:06:18 »
Yep, everyone is equipped with an MP18 or a Madsen LMG, shotguns and some weird semi-autos everywhere. Semi-auto sniper rifles, fast-firing dual purpose guns (at/aa), A7V and british Mk Vs rushing at 30mph, FT17 and some armored cars. Pre-alpha shows a total lack of trenches or positional warfare, it's fast like the US offensive in Iraq, 2003.
The damage is ridiculous and you need multiple rifle shots to the body for a kill, everyone has a parachute...
There are weird "experimental" scopes mounted on rifles, there's a general lack of dug covered positions, everything (on that one map) is above ground, and there's an AC-130. I mean the Zeppelin.
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 13-06-2016, 00:06:12 »
I want to type out long explanatory replies and argue why most of the opinions I see here are shallow and not thought through. But I guess at this point it's easier to just rolly eyes as it has more-or-less the same effect ::)

Either way, gameplay looked promising to me. It seemed like BF4 gameplay but also it felt a bit like it was going back to the direction of the 'core' of battlefield. i.e. the game is more fun if you play as a team.

The tanks, planes, zeppelin etc, all seem to work better and look more fun if you have them fully crewed. 'Solo-ing' vehicles is possible, but infinitely more fun if you work together.

Amazing destruction that actually has an effect on the battlefield. Changing weather just like in BF4 but has obviously been refined to be more immersive. Even more/better melee animations. New 'entering-vehicle' animations which are awesome imo.

Also, I like how DICE's gameplay reveal is an actual gameplay reveal. It's not like watchdogs or rainbow six where they show 'enhanced' scripted gameplay. DICE knows their product is awesome and they'll show it to you as-is (more or less.) Kudos to them.

Looks good, I'll wait to see what kinda content they promise before buying it tho. I don't wanna get dicked over like Battlefront :P If they support this game like they did with BF4 then this is way worth the $60. (or $100+ after all the DLCs)