Author Topic: what if commander can give coordinates to indirect fire by radio?  (Read 4358 times)

Offline VanOwen

• View Profile
What about giving the commander the ability to spawn equipment?  I.E. and additional Panther or M36 at the right time could make a lot of impact.  I.E. Being able to spawn a PzrIII on Brest when the PzrIV has been killed and the Sherman and the M5 are roving the streets.

In this case it make sense to have this only work where it makes logical sense for that unit spawn in, like in the rear lines for heavy equipment. 

Offline KurtisMayer

• View Profile
someone know how allyes start to airdrop the willjeeps frome the bombers?

was that during the WWII or only after?

it would be helpfull have the commander that airdrop some willyjeep when your need

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile

3,7 cm Pak dropped over Crete 1941
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline Unleashed

• apocalyptic
    • View Profile
Dropping a PAK? That would be a real cool and strategic advantage.
A jeep? Not so much. Basically, I can't see the advantage of any lighter vehicle than the Halftrack/Bren Carrier/Skdfz in FH2.
I wanna dance with the sun - reborn as a flame
This is the final chance - for glory and victory
I feel the honey in my veins - so bitter and so sweet
I wanna see the eagles fly - before I depart to die.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
I've brought up the dropped Paks and recoiless rifles for Kreta before....  Would at least give the germans a fighting chance against the brit tanks, plus can support attacks....

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
I've brought up the dropped Paks and recoiless rifles for Kreta before....  Would at least give the germans a fighting chance against the brit tanks, plus can support attacks....

^^This gets my approval
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
Sounds cool :)

Offline Potilas

• View Profile
I've brought up the dropped Paks and recoiless rifles for Kreta before....  Would at least give the germans a fighting chance against the brit tanks, plus can support attacks....

Cool idea. Junkers transport planes would be perfect for that btw. No commander needed.

I just noticed that im not suggesting a simple addon. Making of working artillery system took ages (2 years?) from PR developement team. I am afraid workload of suggestion will be epic and benefit minimal for gameplay.
« Last Edit: 12-10-2010, 23:10:08 by Potilas »

Offline sniper77shot

• View Profile
I like being commander, in fh2 it needs some tweaks to it to be more functional but I think it is great.

Offline VanOwen

• View Profile
Seeing as SL are mobile spawn points... is it possible to make a static object a spawn point as well?  And is it possible to make supply drops mobile spawn points?

Plus giving CO's the ability to mark artillery spots for mortars/arty would make them more fun/useful.  COs can't see whats on the ground, but marking on the map where arty should shoot at would be a good (and sensible) way for the CO to direct his soldiers to fire at.

azreal

Static objects as a spawn point; no, I don't think that's possible. Supply drops as a spawn point; yes, that's possible, but there's no way to have the spawn point activate once the supply drop has touched the ground.

And I've been thinking about this suggestion. I don't think it would work out too well. If you give commanders or SL's the ability to mark the map for artillery, then you could just "mark" an enemy flag without having a spotter in the area, essentially leading to main rape by artillery.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
what would have been awesome for later map is rocket barrage, where you actually see the rockets coming at an angle

Offline VanOwen

• View Profile
Static objects as a spawn point; no, I don't think that's possible. Supply drops as a spawn point; yes, that's possible, but there's no way to have the spawn point activate once the supply drop has touched the ground.

And I've been thinking about this suggestion. I don't think it would work out too well. If you give commanders or SL's the ability to mark the map for artillery, then you could just "mark" an enemy flag without having a spotter in the area, essentially leading to main rape by artillery.

It does seem that the threat of artillery being able to 'rape' locations is nearly as much of a threat as it could be from the CO.  Granted a CO could make spots much more quickly then a standard spotter, flag/base raping could be easily mitigated by adjusting the accuracy of artillery/mortar rounds or adjusting the range to prevent rounds from reaching the enemy's main base.

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
it's not merely the enemy's base that would be the problem. The problem would be that the commander would be able to point out all the enemy strongpoints right from the beginning of the map. On some maps this would be a real problem (tobruk, goodwood, sidi rege, alam halfa ...

Offline Potilas

• View Profile
Thx for looking at this azreal. I doub blind firing main would be big issue. At first it is boring. Secondly, server rules/admin could deny artilleries shooting at enemy main. Best part of being artillery gunner is see shells landing and blowing up poor bastards. Sure someone is mad enough to spend entire round bombing blindly main base, but I really dont belive that it will became a common habit.

Commander cannot take any a part of fighting from behind the desk. Im hoping little change. Commander does not command anybody as we well know. Commander linking up with indirect fire perhaps could start communication between team and commander.
Here is example scenario. Random player:"88 is manned at flak battery. He shot my kingtiger :'(" Commander:"Roger that, Ill send artillery coordinates on it" Arty:"roger commander. Im on it. Random player"Shell landed little bit too west of target...  Target destoyed."