Author Topic: *BETA* AI Smokescreen Grenade  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: *BETA* AI Smokescreen Grenade
« Reply #15 on: 01-07-2011, 15:07:31 »
It will be released when it's ready.

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01-07-2011, 16:07:32 »

So, you're saying there's a chance

:P

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 01-07-2011, 18:07:50 »
Hey, there's always a chance with Forgotten Hope  ;D

Offline RommelBr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06-08-2011, 02:08:39 »
    Hey!, I tested the AI Smokescreen and it seems to WORKS perfectly :o !!!
   It's amazing the AI ​​acting as if he had a real brain.

But i have made a little changes before the test, i actually imported the attached templates and collisionmesh from the Nebeleihandgranate 42 (The German hand thrown smoke grenade) to the No77 Smoke Grenade (The British hand thrown smoke grenade).

By now i only tested the No77 Smoke Grenade (British) instead of the Nebeleihandgranate 42 (German), and so far seems to work with no problem.
   Sometimes some friendly Bots are on the front of the smoke and the enemy Bots begin to shoot to kill they and sometimes the missed shots kill me or someone behind the smoke.
   Another good thing is that the bots interpret the smoke as just a blocking against the shots, so they practically CHARGE!!! between the smoke, which creates some immersive war moments.
   The map i used to test was Tunis.

Now I hope this will be officially implemented in Mod.

Ps: I am not 100% fluent in English.
« Last Edit: 06-08-2011, 16:08:08 by ErwinRommelBr »

Offline Maretti

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06-08-2011, 06:08:46 »
Good to see it's (at least some of it) working. The bots seems to love throwing grenades, specially the smoke ones.
Way to go! Things like these keeps the devs working for the SP as well.

ErwinRommelBr, may I ask you to make us a tutorial for applying this fix? I would be very greatful.

Offline CosmonautVince

• Ef god dun exits, den how ded I Cosmonaut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07-08-2011, 14:08:21 »
Kudos!

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 07-08-2011, 14:08:47 »
    Hey!, I tested the AI Smokescreen and it seems to WORKS perfectly :o !!!
   It's amazing the AI ​​acting as if he had a real brain.

Great to hear that you have tested it  ;D Here's a funny "doh" moment story. I originally altered the AN_M8_Smokegrenade and then tested the Nebeleihandgranate 42 in error and wondered why I could not confirm if it was working or not  ::). So this is doubly good to hear.

The AI might start moving forward once their ray cast targeting is broken by the smokescreen collisionmesh. There's always the possibility that the behaviour may be imagined (but it doesn't sound like you are imaging anything), which is why I was trying to use debug mode to actually SEE the smokescreen collisionmesh altering  AI behaviour. However this depended on spawning a VISIBLE smokescreen collisionmesh sphere which I was not able to achieve (I think it needs a material putting on it or the transparency changing). Anyway, by the sound of it it's working.

I can see tank shell smoke templates in my future.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07-08-2011, 17:08:29 »
Have you been able to adjust it for the various types of grenades yet? The American and German work the same, but the British one starts slow and builds, and I think it lasts longest.

But yer, would really like to see this in use

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 07-08-2011, 18:08:40 »
Have you been able to adjust it for the various types of grenades yet? The American and German work the same, but the British one starts slow and builds, and I think it lasts longest.

But yer, would really like to see this in use

Not yet. I was just concentrating on getting it working at all first. But it's an important point. The behaviour of the modification should match the behaviour of the core FH mod.

Offline CosmonautVince

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08-08-2011, 08:08:01 »
So, to clarify. The smoke becomes an "invisible" object that the bots think is blocking their path? Would this result in the bots running around the smoke thinking its an obstacle or coming through it?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08-08-2011, 10:08:08 »
No, the bots see the smoke visually. They will walk right through it, but they see it as something throwing off their 'vision'... Vision or aim...

Like engaging an infantry and popping behind a wall and having them still take a few potshots at the wall, the bots will engage you shortly after the smoke goes up i.e. through the smoke. But will quickly go silent and start to move through the smoke until they get visual of their target once more.

Its really a perfect solution and creates exactly the same effect as with humans.

What DOES need to tweaked is how large the radius is (The obscuring feature is a growing and shrinking sphere for the bots) so that it extends at the same rate as the smoke it works on, reaches the same limit and dissapears at the same rate. And this goes for the various types of smoke there are.

!. American and German smoke is identical in its behavior and so can use the same template
2. British smoke starts slow and scattered (and unobscuring), spreads in a pattern I am yet to understand, and stays a tad longer than German/ American smoke.
3. Tank deck smoke for tanks without apparatus or tank shell act similar to German smoke
4. Tanks with apparatus for short range fire, act another way - I will reach and say similar to British smoke, after the scatter effect is through
5. Tank shell act similar to that of the apparatus when the shell lands.

Its not small work, but I can foresee one of the big tactical achievements for bot play in Fh2 once implemented. I just hope the rest of bot-dom willl follow suite, as I'm afraid besides DJBarney's achievements with this and the Bug-Tracker, much of, if not all of AI work has ground to a halt
« Last Edit: 08-08-2011, 10:08:53 by djinn »

Offline CosmonautVince

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08-08-2011, 10:08:26 »
Programming really is an artform.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08-08-2011, 11:08:46 »
I'd say. But what do I know; I am no artist. DJBarney is  :)

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 08-08-2011, 11:08:04 »
... much of, if not all of AI work has ground to a halt

That's not true. This template was just tested by another member. Stop ya moanin' !

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08-08-2011, 12:08:01 »
'This template', AI smokescreen... Not any other aspect of AI fan development.

Void is MIA, I can't reach Remick_04, and without those 2 key people, we might as well be shouting in a dark room with no door. Only aspect moving IS smoke-screen research.

I'm not saying the fans aren't doing what they can, but nothing will move until we have our tactically positioned people to work with us. I'm not moaning, just saying it like it is.