Author Topic: Very impressed with this game!  (Read 2870 times)

Offline gsteffens

• View Profile
Very impressed with this game!
« on: 10-01-2010, 04:01:24 »
I downloaded this about a month ago, version 2.2, and am currently as I type this downloading 2.25.

Working two jobs and doing a lot of side work do not allow me to play it too much.  I was pretty pleased with the original BF2 overall game play, and I really liked the WW2 setting of BF1942.  I found this mod, which combined them both.

So far, I am very impressed with every aspect of game play.  I can tell countless hours was spent on shaping the mod.  The vehicles are excellent from the operation to the look, and the weapons carried by infantry are clearly well crafted.

I have a pretty iffy internet connection where I live, but there is rumor of broadband coming our way.  So hopefully some day I can play online.  I built a computer for the family to share, but I also built it to game.  So all that is left is getting online, because while it is fun single player, it would be much more fun multiplayer.

I only have a few small issues with the game.  One of which is realism of objects, such as tables and chairs, debris, etc.  Just about all items do not move.  Such as if I run into something small with a tank, it causes damage to the tank.  Same with gates and doors.  However, I observed these with original BF2 and I think it is how the game engine is setup to run.  Also, I had a problem at first when the game crashed randomly.  I did some Googling and found out that there are several shader files that are switched from BF2 to FH2, and then back again when you close.  If it is not closed properly this operation is screwed up.  I believe this is only a result of the game being a MOD, correct?  It would be kick-butt to see this as a full stand-alone game!

So thank you so much to everyone involved with the production of this mod.  It really shows how much effort and attention to detail was put into it. 

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
Re: Very impressed with this game!
« Reply #1 on: 10-01-2010, 09:01:50 »
...Also, I had a problem at first when the game crashed randomly.  I did some Googling and found out that there are several shader files that are switched from BF2 to FH2, and then back again when you close.  If it is not closed properly this operation is screwed up.  I believe this is only a result of the game being a MOD, correct? It would be kick-butt to see this as a full stand-alone game!...
In 2.2 Singleplayer, Op. Aberdeen, Goodwood, Hyacinth and Supercharge, all CTD at some point...haven't tried any 2.25 SP maps yet, but apparently Goodwood still has a CTD issue.

The shader thing is due to FH having it's own .exe file (most other mods don't). As long as you start the game using the desktop shortcut and close it using the ingame QUIT button (NOT Alt+F4) you'll be right.

If you don't close it properly the shader files don't get put back where they should be.

And it effectively is a stand-alone game considering the only thing it has in common with vanilla BF2 is the game engine... :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-01-2010, 09:01:29 »
Think Left for Dead and Half Life 2

Offline gsteffens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-01-2010, 22:01:26 »
...Also, I had a problem at first when the game crashed randomly.  I did some Googling and found out that there are several shader files that are switched from BF2 to FH2, and then back again when you close.  If it is not closed properly this operation is screwed up.  I believe this is only a result of the game being a MOD, correct? It would be kick-butt to see this as a full stand-alone game!...
In 2.2 Singleplayer, Op. Aberdeen, Goodwood, Hyacinth and Supercharge, all CTD at some point...haven't tried any 2.25 SP maps yet, but apparently Goodwood still has a CTD issue.

The shader thing is due to FH having it's own .exe file (most other mods don't). As long as you start the game using the desktop shortcut and close it using the ingame QUIT button (NOT Alt+F4) you'll be right.

If you don't close it properly the shader files don't get put back where they should be.

And it effectively is a stand-alone game considering the only thing it has in common with vanilla BF2 is the game engine... :)

I understand what you say about the shaders.  It makes sense.

What I meant by the stand alone, is if we could buy it by itself complete, but I do understand it is always evolving and getting better. 

Think Left for Dead and Half Life 2

What do you mean?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-01-2010, 22:01:13 »
What CannonFodder said

Its effectively a completely new game save for the engine so its comparable ot Left for Dead in relation to HL2... Except the devs eint selling it

Offline gsteffens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-01-2010, 04:01:32 »
Aha, that makes sense.  I am sorry I do enjoy gaming but I do not know a whole lot about them.

I am looking forward to an Omaha style map for this game.  If it continues with the quality so far, it is going to be an insanely great map to play.  (Yes I am fascinated by D-Day)

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-01-2010, 04:01:31 »
As much as we all hate to admit it I think we all look forward to an Omaha Beach map.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-01-2010, 04:01:13 »
Aha, that makes sense.  I am sorry I do enjoy gaming but I do not know a whole lot about them.

I am looking forward to an Omaha style map for this game.  If it continues with the quality so far, it is going to be an insanely great map to play.  (Yes I am fascinated by D-Day)
The devs haven't let me down yet so it'll probably be amazing (as the Germans)
As much as we all hate to admit it I think we all look forward to an Omaha Beach map.
I don't hate to admit it

Offline gsteffens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-01-2010, 04:01:37 »
I think it would be fun to play as either side.  The one in BF1942 was just okay.  With all the realistic detail the Developers have loaded into the maps so far, Omaha is sure to be a hit.

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-01-2010, 14:01:07 »
I think it would be fun to play as either side.  The one in BF1942 was just okay.  With all the realistic detail the Developers have loaded into the maps so far, Omaha is sure to be a hit.
Did you ever play FH1 for BF1942?  If you like FH2, you would definitely love FH1.  Still a few servers around, too.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-01-2010, 01:01:12 »
Did you ever play FH1 for BF1942?  If you like FH2, you would definitely love FH1.  Still a few servers around, too.
Not if FH2 is to pretty for you :P

Offline gsteffens

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-01-2010, 05:01:31 »
No I have not tried FH1.  Is it on the same level, a total revamp of BF1942?  I have a crummy connection right now, so it is tough to download too much.  I also was getting frustrated with the choppyness of BF1942 and the struggle to get the updates right.  The BF2 platform seems to be a lot smoother, at least from my point of view and what I know.

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-01-2010, 21:01:41 »
No I have not tried FH1.  Is it on the same level, a total revamp of BF1942?  I have a crummy connection right now, so it is tough to download too much.  I also was getting frustrated with the choppyness of BF1942 and the struggle to get the updates right. 
It's not a complete modification like FH2 (because of 42's contemporary setting), but builds upon and is definitely a big upgrade over vanilla BF1942.  It is 2+ GBs (IIRC), so it might be difficult for you to obtain.  It will have a place on any PC that I own, as long as whatever OS I have installed will run the game.   :D

Offline Medavelvan

• iMagiNation is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-02-2010, 00:02:32 »
Fantastic mod isn't it? I'm a huge fan of total conversion mods and their DEV teams, I think they're some of the best game developers in the industry because they're dedicated to making games that are based on fun rather than on profits and marketability.

There is a kind of "creative purity" in total conversion gaming that really appeals to me.
Explore all the worlds beyond the Sea of Dreams.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18-02-2010, 10:02:10 »
Nice that you like the mod we all love as well. :)

I only have a few small issues with the game.  One of which is realism of objects, such as tables and chairs, debris, etc.  Just about all items do not move.  Such as if I run into something small with a tank, it causes damage to the tank.  Same with gates and doors.  However, I observed these with original BF2 and I think it is how the game engine is setup to run. 

That is a grief, but unluckily the BF2 engine is quite limited when it comes to physics. Making fences passable by tanks and vehicles was a huge step though! :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off