Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  (Read 63333 times)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
« Reply #450 on: 30-05-2017, 00:05:31 »
Looking forward to the stories I'll get from ya when you get back into the zone!  ;)

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: 30-05-2017, 01:05:43 »
Looking forward to the stories I'll get from ya when you get back into the zone!  ;)

I was wrong when I said the last time I played Stalker was in STALKERSOUP, it was actually Misery and I remember it very well.

Schevchenko, some loner dude was shooting at boars, loner went missing moments later, I was sitting near the ship's command brigde looking at the whole situation when I heard some heavy breathing, which wasn't mine. Turned around to see that creepy humanoid figure with the shiny white eyes running straight at me.

Absolutely 0 chance survive, Makarov not good enough.

That was it.

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: 30-05-2017, 19:05:16 »
But if you have Call of Pripyat (which btw you dont need to have installed, CoC is kinda standalone...) and you have a decent internet connection, why not give it a go? Try it out as regular CoC and if you see any sort of potential in it, explore the wonderful world of addons, wether it be simple weapon addon or something as big as Call of Misery.

I personally have enjoyed CoC tremendously and I personally think that to a STALKER vet like myself, it is a perfect mod when you dont care about doing the same story over and over. Now you can make your own STALKER and have him your own story, if you are into RP stuff.  ;)

Thank you for your in-depth reply. I will definately try it out, since judging from what you're saying CoC seems to be more fleshed out than most freeplay mods. Apparently it includes new maps and beta maps, which is always a plus. Besides, I've always wanted to play as Clear Sky (as an actual member, not a mercenary)  or Monolith. I'm not sure how far my playthrough will go though; I'm not really into RP and, given that it's been 5 years or so since I last played CoP, I might end up switching over to good old Atmosphere + Absolute Nature.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: 30-05-2017, 20:05:11 »
Thank you for your in-depth reply. I will definately try it out, since judging from what you're saying CoC seems to be more fleshed out than most freeplay mods. Apparently it includes new maps and beta maps, which is always a plus. Besides, I've always wanted to play as Clear Sky (as an actual member, not a mercenary)  or Monolith. I'm not sure how far my playthrough will go though; I'm not really into RP and, given that it's been 5 years or so since I last played CoP, I might end up switching over to good old Atmosphere + Absolute Nature.

CoC includes

- All ShoC, CS and CoP maps (including all undergrounds and Limansk hospital).
- Cut content such as Dead City, Generators and Darkscape.
- Brand new map called Truck Cemetery.

-

I recently started a new playthrough as the Mercenary which I've played through... maybe 5 or 6 times by now... heh, dont ask me why, I just find Mercs appealing to me. I have previously played through as Monolith and Bandit as well. Altho, I dont know how you define as a "playthrough" when it is only freeplay without any real goals or end. Heh, I guess the playthrough ends when you stop playing. :)

Usually my playthoughs end when there is a new version of the mod and they pretty much always require a fresh start.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: 05-09-2017, 05:09:57 »
So yeah I got a new GPU and I'm ready to dive straight into my old love, Stalker.

First thing I did was to get CoC, with Arsenal Overhaul, Dynamic HUD, Outfits Addon, Dynamic Factions, Dynamic Anomalies and a few more. I don't have the latest version as it seems it's still beta and most addons are not compatible as of now, so I'm using 1.4.22.

Can you switch factions in mid game?, I'm really interested in a Bandit character..., because it reminds me of that time in STALKERSOUP in which I turned the entire Loner faction Hostile for some reason, and it was AWESOME!, but will probably switch to Loners if possible.

Sneaky cheeki breeki bastard.

- - -

Quick run and I've already had my Stalker moments. Random spawn as Loner took me to Pripyat itself, to that apartment where the big green anomaly moves around (Don't blame me, never been to Pripyat before, never actually completed CoP at all). Went down to find a couple of Loners with an Ecologist or something, walked around for less than 15 minutes when someone opened fire on us. I got hit, I completely forgot this game had bleeding and I almost died, I went for cover and patched myself up. Weather was bad so I only saw the flashes from the guns, the squad moved up a little and I "supported" them for afar with my Makarov, very clever Dimitri.

I was badly wounded, the firefight goes on and I move up a bit, to a bus. I received a message, something about "He's wounded, kill him!" and the Squad moves up to a wounded man laying in the middle of the street. I get closer to the now dead Monolith, looted his half-broken G36 and some ammo. I proceed on my own, leaving that squad behind. In front of me appears to be a mall of some sort, move to the left to find an empty building... slowly making my way, scanning the inside for possible flashlights indicating humans, but I saw something by the window, memories came rushing back, memories of total darkness and two small white dots floating around, I froze..

(zoom in)

I know what it was, a STALKER vet like myself would immediately recognize these things as eyes, and eyes look, despite all my years playing this game I was still dead frozen, staring at it, was it staring back? was I spotted?, I didn't make any sound, I was just walking, thinking that Monoliths were inside so I was making sure to be as stealthy as possible. He didn't spot me, I raised my G36, aimed carefully to have a better look, to confirm if it was what I think it was. It was. Pulled the trigger, blood, the thing dropped. Turned back, ran as fast as I could to the street where the dead monolith was, my hard was beating fast (really), I felt insecure, I felt someone was watching me, I scanned my surroundings, pointing my gun at every possible place from where a thing would come rushing at me, fired a couple of shots at the building from about 100m, don't know why, but I did it anyways.

Closed the game, gotta to go bed, but before I had to share my little story.

Oh STALKER, I fucking love you so much. Less than 10 minutes of gameplay and I already had two bits to tell, not a big deal you see, but this is MY little bit of a story to tell.

This game is a fucking masterpiece, excuse the language.
« Last Edit: 05-09-2017, 06:09:47 by Torenico »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: 16-05-2018, 02:05:37 »

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: 22-05-2018, 16:05:36 »
When you look into the thick fog of new game releases that you don't give a damn about and a shape forms and instead of the new Call of Duty it's an old friend you thought had died

That's incredible news, thanks for sharing, Torenico ;D
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: 22-05-2018, 16:05:05 »
lol, pashka summertime. Paska means shit in finnish. And knowing finnish weather... yes, it usually is paska summertime.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: 22-05-2018, 17:05:40 »
Haha, close enough and very fitting ;D

It's from Call of Misery with some really nicely done gun mod (I don't remember the name). I ran across him three times in three different areas so I decided to take him as a companion - just because of the name and that chance.

Up to this day he's following me:

Sometimes he decided he does not want the PKP anymore and grabs his old Mosin instead:

It's too bad that the AI in that mod seems to be broken at times and especially the companions are retarded as hell so that I had to make them unkillable. I wish they would fix that and also enable something like in Fallout games where your companions can get knocked out without dieing in a fight, stopping them from being OP but also compensatin for their recklessness a bit.

What really surprises me is how good the game still looks despite it's age - and despite my shitty 2012 HP business laptop with an atrocious graphics card.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: 22-05-2018, 17:05:33 »
I recently went back to heavily modded Call of Chernobyl again. I cant stay away from the Zone. It always pulls me back in.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: 22-05-2018, 17:05:07 »
Same, I timed my "trip" with autumn last year - it fit perfectly. Is the AI as braindead in vanilla CoC?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: 22-05-2018, 18:05:13 »
It has its share of problems but generally they perform quite well.

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: 23-05-2018, 12:05:13 »
Hm, might be worth a shot but I do like the difficulty CoM brings especially at the beginning. Firefights are incredibly deadly when you have no armour. On the plus side, so don't a lot of enemies so it's really tense but not unfair. Getting any good money and weaponry is super hard though because most of the stuff is way too expensive at the start and all of the weaponry you find is broken to the point where it jams a lot.
One thing I did not like about CoM is that artifacts are dirt cheap so it's not even worth doing missions to get them. I used a mod which upped their prices a little so that it was worth getting irradiated to hell in an anomaly field. This obviously made the game easier and progress faster so it's maybe kind of a cheat. You can up the difficulty by only being able to save at campfires though which is something I also disabled even though it might add to the experience. Knowing full well that I sometimes get odd FPS drops on my poor laptop and that the game sometimes decides to spaz out, I like to be able to save often.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for me has the perfect atmosphere. It has a tiny bit of horror here and there but it's less of the scary and more of the creepy kind - if that makes sense. Plus I find all the desolated area to be the game's biggest plus and it's always nice when you return to a base where everyone sits around campfires and relaxes a bit, like here:

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: 24-05-2018, 00:05:24 »
What a masterpiece this game is. I follow it blindly, I don't care how terrible it can be sometimes, every minute spent on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a well spent minute.

I'll reinstall windows soon and I'll give Call of Misery a go, or perhaps the Last Day addon to see what it's like...

But yes, I fully agree Stalker lives on it's atmosphere. I play with everything disabled almost, literally no HUD at all. So I don't know if I'm being seen, and man the game became 100 times more scarier. Hell, even taking a long walk in a foggy rain in Cordon makes me crap my pants from time to time.