Author Topic: Can bots use artillery?  (Read 646 times)

Offline Izumi_Kanata

• View Profile
Can bots use artillery?
« on: 04-05-2020, 10:05:57 »
Though they never spot for arty I always see bots manning mortars and howitzers, even driving Bishop to the front. I know they probably won't recognize my target, but would they try to fire and how do they aim?
I've seen killing message using a Bishop, while it may possibly be a kill with direct fire; and I once saw mortar shells falling from the sky while playing on Falaise Pocket. But I never see a manned artillery firing. So can bots really fire an artillery? Will they somehow try to aim at enemies beyond their line of sight or will they only shoot at targets they see?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Can bots use artillery?
« Reply #1 on: 04-05-2020, 12:05:34 »
They only use artillery in direct fire role. Mortars have AI templates that let bots see far away targets (unlike normal mortars intended for use online). They mostly use nobile artillery, because they can drive it close enough to targets to fire at them effectively, but they occasionally use static guns, like Nebelwerfers on Op. Totalize and Sidi Bou Zid, or 25 Pounders to fire at enemy tanks on Alam Halfa. They only fire on targets they see tho, never on player spots.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-05-2020, 12:05:16 »
Is it done on purpose that bots don't use heavy artillery? Or is it simply a limitation of the game. Its a bit irritating because often bots will man these guns but not use them, inhibiting them from joining the action.
Is it possible to apply the AI template used for mortars to heavier artillery pieces?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-05-2020, 16:05:23 »
As I said, they use them in a direct fire role, it's not done on purpose, bots not firing at your spots is a limitation of the game. They just need to spot targets for themselves and that can be tricky considering how dumb bots are (all artillery guns have those AI templates btw).