Poll

Would you want to see buildable statics/ deployable?

YES but not PR style
32 (32%)
YES PR style
14 (14%)
NO
54 (54%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: Poll for Building/deploying statics  (Read 11609 times)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Poll for Building/deploying statics
« Reply #30 on: 24-06-2011, 15:06:46 »
building/deploying statics is just to much freedom for server trolls and morons without understanding the battlefield... It can work only with PR as their server admins are Texas Rangers who kick asses from a half turn of those who don't understand / don't fallow the rules and disrupt the gameplay...  :P
« Last Edit: 24-06-2011, 15:06:34 by jan_kurator »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24-06-2011, 15:06:10 »
what I will like is to have those movable weapons parked all at the main, and you just have to tow them with trucks (towing is possible on the bf2 engine, there is a mod about the georgia/russia conclict that can tow vehicles with helicopters using somekind of implosion code) to the desire position, then detach them and "deploy them" (use the wrench on the cannon/aa/mg for 3 or 4 seconds, then the model gets swaped with a fixed one,or a deployed one), if you want to move it you use the wrench again, the model gets swapet with the movable one, and just tow it again with the truck =)

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24-06-2011, 15:06:00 »
what I will like is to have those movable weapons parked all at the main, and you just have to tow them with trucks (towing is possible on the bf2 engine, there is a mod about the georgia/russia conclict that can tow vehicles with helicopters using somekind of implosion code) to the desire position, then detach them and "deploy them" (use the wrench on the cannon/aa/mg for 3 or 4 seconds, then the model gets swaped with a fixed one,or a deployed one), if you want to move it you use the wrench again, the model gets swapet with the movable one, and just tow it again with the truck =)
That was the case in FH, but it was removed in later version due to lag iirc. If the code becomes available, even then I doubt it would be used. Simple fact is most of these weapons (AT guns for example) are placed n prepared positions, which effects nearly almost everything in a map (vehicle balance, terrain, etc).
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24-06-2011, 15:06:44 »
they were not like the ones im proposing, the code was completaly different :P. IMO it would give the battefield a more dinamic feeling, and an extra dimention, making ambushing more useful. prepared weapon emplacement only become usefull the first few times, because once the players know where they are, you can easly avoid them, or take them out before they can see you (planes vs AAA).

plus, i dont like the mapper to tell me from were should I shoot, this is battelfield after all ;)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24-06-2011, 19:06:49 »
the mapper/level designer decides where the defenses go, not the players. ;) He built the world you're running around in, so why don't you demand to be able to move houses or change terrain by will? Same thing.

these PR styled gimmicks are only that, gimmicks.. they dont add any depth or dynamics to Battlefield(tm). we can make all of them, and more, if we want... But we rather spend our time creating real experiences
end of story.
« Last Edit: 24-06-2011, 19:06:07 by Natty »

Offline Malsa

• A very static artist.
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24-06-2011, 19:06:42 »
They would be gimmicks if implemented in FH2, yes.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24-06-2011, 20:06:33 »
the mapper/level designer decides where the defenses go, not the players. ;) He built the world you're running around in, so why don't you demand to be able to move houses or change terrain by will? Same thing.

these PR styled gimmicks are only that, gimmicks.. they dont add any depth or dynamics to Battlefield(tm). we can make all of them, and more, if we want... But we rather spend our time creating real experiences
end of story.
Almost all of FH2s maps don´t have any real defenses. Sure, there might be trenches and fortifications, but ingame they aren´t used as defensive positions for a great number of reasons.
I´d rather have those (how you mockingly call them) gimmicks than useless "defensive" positions that might look nice but have no real value.
Since everyone knows where static cannons etc. and trenches are they´re pretty much useless. Combined with your "gods eye"-artillery the situation only gets worse.
Unlike FH2, PR offers much more freedom in that aspect. Players have their approximate objectives in the form of flag zones, but can decide for themselves to set up positions with machine guns, fox holes etc. wherever the current tactical situation needs them.
Also I can´t understand how you can say that PR-style deployments don´t add any depth? Have you actually played the latest version of PR? I´m sorry, but you just trumpet arrogant and hostile innuendos against PR just because you want FH2 to be a lame-ass copy of CoD or any other generic FPS...

Of course, PR might not be as pretty as FH2, but sometimes prettiness isn´t everything....and you can mock about PR as long as you want, its player numbers and the ever-growing community speak for itself.

About the poll:
I voted "yes", but I have to admit that currently these gimmicks won´t work in FH2. It´s way too fast paced at the moment and fortifications would be overran by ridiculous clown car squads even before half of them would be built.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24-06-2011, 20:06:42 »
building/deploying statics is just to much freedom for server trolls and morons without understanding the battlefield...
Amen bruvva

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24-06-2011, 21:06:41 »
building/deploying statics is just to much freedom for server trolls and morons without understanding the battlefield...
Amen bruvva

Yeah but given the time people would LEARN. You can't expect people to suddenly become great tacticians because you implement these "gimmicks". If we had a few well admined servers (which we have, in fact when hslan-ers aren't playing WoT or sth like that) trolling/griefing/retards would gradually be reduced, and we would have a nice, mature community. But if you don't give them the chance, nothing will change actually...

In fact currently it's much easier to be a troll/spawncamper/whatever, just sit in a tank (preferably a KT) on a safe distance and raep the heck out of infantry/static guns/enemy tank spawns. ALL that would change if people had a bit more freedom on the battlefield. Yes, I call it freedom no matter what you think, cause hell I don't see how it isn't freedom to shape your own battlefield/prepare your own ambush positions/defenses.

I really admire the devs and the work they do, and the beauty of the current maps, but currently many things on the map are just eye-candy as there isn't any logic for them to be there, or maybe there is but they don't really serve any gameplay purpose. How many times I've seen trenches placed so badly that they provide crappy cover, or they provide great cover but they are in a totally wrong place because you have a limited view, or nobody ever passes through there.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24-06-2011, 21:06:56 »
Amen bruvva

Yeah but given the time people would LEARN.

good lord no! dont you know games have to be adapted to the lower denominator?, its how the marked work these days :P

Offline CossRooper

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24-06-2011, 22:06:18 »

end of story.
Almost all of FH2s maps don´t have any real defenses. Sure, there might be trenches and fortifications, but ingame they aren´t used as defensive positions for a great number of reasons.
I´d rather have those (how you mockingly call them) gimmicks than useless "defensive" positions that might look nice but have no real value.
Since everyone knows where static cannons etc. and trenches are they´re pretty much useless. Combined with your "gods eye"-artillery the situation only gets worse.
Unlike FH2, PR offers much more freedom in that aspect. Players have their approximate objectives in the form of flag zones, but can decide for themselves to set up positions with machine guns, fox holes etc. wherever the current tactical situation needs them.
Also I can´t understand how you can say that PR-style deployments don´t add any depth? Have you actually played the latest version of PR? I´m sorry, but you just trumpet arrogant and hostile innuendos against PR just because you want FH2 to be a lame-ass copy of CoD or any other generic FPS...

Of course, PR might not be as pretty as FH2, but sometimes prettiness isn´t everything....and you can mock about PR as long as you want, its player numbers and the ever-growing community speak for itself.

About the poll:
I voted "yes", but I have to admit that currently these gimmicks won´t work in FH2. It´s way too fast paced at the moment and fortifications would be overran by ridiculous clown car squads even before half of them would be built.

Thank you so much for this post. I get so sick of the PR hatred by certain devs. The PR team has really crafted an unprecedented game that I thought I'd never see. Why is there no appreciation at the very least?

This shit is not a competition.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24-06-2011, 23:06:55 »
I´m sorry, but you just trumpet arrogant and hostile innuendos against PR just because you want FH2 to be a lame-ass copy of CoD or any other generic FPS...
And who is hater now? STOP suggesting things from another mod, better think about something new and original wich will be more acceptable. When someone will invent something new which greatly improve FH2 gameplay (and will be possible due to the game engine) then I can bet that your suggestions will be welcome. These mods are DIFFERENT for many reasons, and some gameplay solutions just don't fit to FH2 or just are unwanted by devs!! Rejoice in the fact that you have diversity in mods for old BF2 and you can enjoy them in different ways!  :-\
« Last Edit: 24-06-2011, 23:06:14 by jan_kurator »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24-06-2011, 23:06:36 »
afaik, deployables where in FH1, so is not a PR thing. plus, it fixes the memorization of guns emplacements and the uselesness of some of those emplacements.

note, im talking about AAA, AT guns and mgs emplacements, not snagbags or barbedwire

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 25-06-2011, 00:06:25 »
afaik, deployables where in FH1, so is not a PR thing. plus, it fixes the memorization of guns emplacements and the uselesness of some of those emplacements.

note, im talking about AAA, AT guns and mgs emplacements, not snagbags or barbedwire
Did I quote you? I was aswering [WaW]hOMEr_jAy post... :P I know that deployables where in FH1 but it is not what this thread is about...  If someone invent code to make WORKING towable guns it would be awesome.  ::)
« Last Edit: 25-06-2011, 00:06:18 by jan_kurator »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25-06-2011, 00:06:57 »
On top of that there already are mobile at guns to solve the predictability at least a bit.