Author Topic: Win7 Crash, Please help!  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
Win7 Crash, Please help!
« on: 04-04-2012, 20:04:47 »
Hello all

This is pretty much the first time ive posted and im very new to the forum (only claiming my ribbon which im very proud of  ;D).

But i have a problem, ive scoured the whole forum and unfortunatly cant find a solution. Ive been hesitant  (by about 3 months) about posting as im not familiar with forums and such so i appologise if ive posted in the wrong place or ive done something wrong, but im desperate and cant figure this out on my own.

i used to be able to play FH2 no problem, then after a while my computer died and so i had to buy a new one which had Windows 7 on it. i installed BF2 and then FH2, i then click on FH2 to start the game and i get to the title screen, i then click on 'multiplayer' and then the screen goes black and goes to desktop. incidently when i click on 'singleplayer' i can get as far as half loading a map and then it goes black and then to desktop.

Unfortunatly im non too savvy with computers but if i get instructions i should be able to follow them

Thank you for your time and patience.

Bromhead

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: Win7 Crash, Please help!
« Reply #1 on: 04-04-2012, 21:04:07 »
Hi Brom,
the problem you are describing sounds familiar, have you tried using the tips as they are described in this thread:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=6599.0

Which version of BF2 do you own? The DVD, the Steam Version or (I hope not) the Origin version?
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-04-2012, 22:04:54 »
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunatly ive trawled through all of the topics several times (any topics with the words "crash", "Win7" "CTD" and various others ive been looking through, as you can imagine its taken me some time) but non of what ive done makes any difference.

Currently im trying to run it in compatibility mode for "Windows XP (service pack 3)" as it at least takes me as far as the menu screen, ive tried the other compatibility modes but they dont work as well.

The version i own is the DVD, i fear that isnt the problem as i used exactly the same disk on my old computer and it worked no trouble. (also if it makes any odds i can play BF2 on the computer fine, its jsut FH2 im having issue with).

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-04-2012, 22:04:06 »
Good Evening Bromhead,
Did you try to run FH2 as an administrator and in compability mode for Windows XP SP 2?
Apart from that, I can't think of anything else that could cause trouble. I am using Windows 7, too.
These settings have allowed me to play it 100% stable. I hope my post helped you to solve your problem.
 :)

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-04-2012, 23:04:56 »
Alas ksl94, ive just tried that too and came to the same result, crash when clicking multiplayer.

Thanks for the input, im willing to try anymore ideas anyone has.

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-04-2012, 00:04:10 »
After you installed BF2, you installed the 1.41 and then the 1.5 patch right ?

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-04-2012, 01:04:21 »
I did yes, it was the first thing i checked when i couldnt get it working, as i say i can play BF2 fine, its the problem of FH2.

One of the things i suspect the problem is is where the file is downloaded to, as i say i know NOTHING about computers and im not sure if it has something to do with that.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-04-2012, 14:04:27 »
do you get an error message?

if not try running FH2 in window mode:
On your desktop right click on the forgotten hope 2 icon and click properties.
Under the shortcut tab in the "Target" it shows the shortcut path in "....".
Add +menu 1 +fullscreen 0 after the last ".
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-04-2012, 16:04:09 »
No, no error message.

When the screen goes black it goes straight back to desktop and there's message there, its as if i havent even tried to open the game.

Not sure i understand how to do whats in the quote box there Harmonikater, but as i say im pretty sure there isnt any error message.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-04-2012, 18:04:37 »
if you do whats written in the box then it will show the error message

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-04-2012, 18:04:15 »
Yeah, i tried that and all i get is

The name '"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\FH2.exe"+menu' spesified in the target box is not valid. make sure the path and file name are correct.

So im not too sure what im ment to do, asi  say i know next to nothing about computers and any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08-04-2012, 19:04:58 »
your target box should be "...\FH2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen (youre missing a space)

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08-04-2012, 20:04:30 »
Managed to open the game in windowed mode and then went through the same procedure, i clicked on the multiplayer tab and the window closed. No error message at all.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09-04-2012, 12:04:18 »
Bi Brom,

sorry I was on a short holiday, so I was AFK. I see that you installed BF2/FH2 directly to your C:\Programs(x86)\ Folder, iirc Win7 doesn't like other programs switching files in that folder (as FH2 needs to). You could try switching off your Win7 User Account Controll (UAC), or try installing BF2 to a custom folder on your main drive like C:\Games\BF2\.
Hope this helps you.

Cheers
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Bromhead

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09-04-2012, 13:04:16 »
Hi there

i just checked and it seems my UAC is already disabled (i remember trying this method some time ago) but it didnt do anything different.

I suspect the issue is perhaps something to do with folders and locations and the like, ages ago on my old computer FH2 didnt work and i ended up tampering and moving folders all over the place and everything and eventually it worked, unfortunatly i cant remember what i did and this is a compleatly new system so i have no idea what im doing, but i feel this could be the problem.

Are you sugesting i try reinstalling BF2 to a file like C:\GamesBF2\ and then try and install FH2 into the same place?

Ide also like to thank everyone for their patience and help.