Author Topic: Development progress?  (Read 29351 times)

Offline Defibkiller

• View Profile
Re: Development progress?
« Reply #75 on: 06-08-2013, 14:08:34 »
2.45 broke more than it fixed....end of story.

The decline in players tells it's own story.

Going back to 2.4 would be a blessed relief, at least the game would be enjoyable once more and maybe, just maybe, would encourage people back to the game.

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 06-08-2013, 15:08:08 »
The mod isn´t dead. There are a lot of members "sleeping", waiting for a new update.

Personally, I have played FH2 only about three or four times since February 2013. Before that I was ingame on a daily basis. I wasn´t able to play as I was in a foreign semester and there was only crappy internet. When I came back in June, I immediately wanted to play FH2 again. Somehow it was better in my memories and after some unpredictable, crazy tank-fights I somehow totally lost interest.

A lot of effort went into trying to improve the tank combat in 2.45 and if all you can say is that it "sucks balls" without any sort of recognition of the hundreds of hours of work that went into it then the best you can hope for is not getting told to fuck off.
What do you want us to say then? It was a lot of effort in vain (considering the tanking). Better tell them how things are, rather than always cheer. A lot of people don´t enjoy tank combat in 2.45. I don´t care about how much effort it was if it wrecked the gameplay, immersion, fun and whatnot.

The mod isn´t dead - as others have stated, it´s in some kind of coma. The regular FH2 members are still here after 7 years (I think that´s when BF2 came out) and had those 7 years to quit playing, yet they have not. THey had 7 years to switch to more modern games. They did not, so I´m confident after the next update we still can play for some years.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 06-08-2013, 15:08:33 »
Angle mod was good idea, it had its flaws in 2.4, but it worked in an acceptable way. Now in 2.45 it's totally fucked up... The easiest and quickest solution would be to realease hotfix with old files from 2.4, but nobody wants to do it, why?  ???
I also don't understand why there's random deviation with tank firing - when you aim at the same place all the time, 1st round goes in 1 place, 2nd round in another, even though you didn't make any movements... Why?  ???
Also, why you touched some vehicle movements behaviour like Kubelwagen, which was driven well before 2.45 release, now it's fucked up... Instead of this you could fix Panzer IV behavour, which still behaves like empty carton box...

« Last Edit: 06-08-2013, 15:08:16 by Mudzin »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 06-08-2013, 15:08:05 »
You see, everyone says I have a necro for mini-mods, but they are one of the things that keep me (and plenty of others) entertained when there is nothing new for a while, and there is only FH2-Z and the tourneys, so...

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 06-08-2013, 16:08:02 »
Angle mod was good idea, it had its flaws in 2.4, but it worked in an acceptable way. Now in 2.45 it's totally fucked up... The easiest and quickest solution would be to realease hotfix with old files from 2.4, but nobody wants to do it, why?  ???
The main problem is people talking about things they don't have a clue about. This part of your post is an example (no offence).
As far as the angle mod is concerned there's no difference between 2.4 and 2.45 (except maybe planes AFAIK, but that's not the subject you're concerned about). How would you expect one to fix an issue that doesn't exist ?

The changes were all about other parameters, and you can't just replace files. Some changes were interesting, some others not. Everything has to be reviewed, checked, rebalanced. That's not the easy cake some players imagine.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 06-08-2013, 16:08:58 »
The changes were all about other parameters, and you can't just replace files. Some changes were interesting, some others not. Everything has to be reviewed, checked, rebalanced. That's not the easy cake some players imagine.

Exactly. When I saw in the files how many types of projectiles and materials are in FH 2 my head exploded.

It's not easy to make something good and without bugs out of that bunch...

Personally, I can live with angle mod... Sure, it has crazy situations, and planes take way too much lead to bring down but it is an improvement over the 2.3 weird frontal insta-kills.

What FH2 really needs is a change in gameplay... More options and power for commander, easier communication (Mumble would help), better suppression. The map changes were good (except a rare few) because they brought more focus and less flag hopping.

And of course the minor quirks that never cease to annoy me... such as the restriction of camera movement for tank "commanders" (yes I realize it would probably look weird without it), the removal of duck option on some mounted MGs (like the Achilles) and similar
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 06-08-2013, 17:08:08 »
I wish to. I don't want to. That would be childish.
I quoted both posters of which I thought they were being childish, I just didn't quote your entire post.

Read the rest of my post, if you are interested in a serious conversation.
I always am, but when you edit posts after I said something about them and then refer to them again later, it is not gonna be a clear conversation.

Or google "humor", maybe even "irony".
Oh, ha ha, I didn't see the "humour", I'm sorry. I just saw you beating yor favourite dead horse again. And if you wish (not want) to post something sarcastic, you might know that the irony tends to get lost on internetforums. You might add some tags in the future, like this:
But you never fail to give your 2 pence to whatever I write, eh Slayer? :)
[sarcasm]No, I never fail at that, because I watch these forums every second of the day and as soon as you post something, I'm gonna reply to it. It's my life's goal.[/sarcasm]

Point is:
The mod isn't dead, and in this thread 2.4 is being overly glorified and 2.45 overly bashed. Both versions had their flaws and yes, they are being recognised. You don't have to praise everything all the time, but repeating everything which has been said over and over again in different threads is just pointless, and annoying for others to read. So, everyone who wants to continue on the tank thing, please go here: http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=17920.0

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 06-08-2013, 17:08:45 »
time to set up the 2.4 server again
I seriously think this is a good idea.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 06-08-2013, 17:08:13 »
I think there is a 2.4 server already running 24/7, at least when I looked a week ago.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 06-08-2013, 18:08:11 »
The main problem is people talking about things they don't have a clue about. This part of your post is an example (no offence).
As far as the angle mod is concerned there's no difference between 2.4 and 2.45 (except maybe planes AFAIK, but that's not the subject you're concerned about). How would you expect one to fix an issue that doesn't exist ?

What a bullshit!
Everything is coded in a fucking, simple notepad, no big problematic program... I don't know if this problem relating to angle mod system or to materials. If this thing was added after 2.4, there's only 1 way - REMOVE IT!!!!

Seriously guys, I don't know what you're doing during betatesting. I can understand glitches, floating objects on the maps, unbalanced maps (because how to test 64 players map balance with less than 20 players?), but such things like:
- angle mod bugs,
- random tank penetration
- weakness of some rounds, like 88mm
- kubelwagen behaviour
- immortal biker (actually it's not really serious problem, but looks kinda dumb)

What did you think? That we would accept it and play this with pleasure for more than a year?

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 06-08-2013, 18:08:53 »
Shut up you ungrateful piece of shit.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 06-08-2013, 18:08:10 »
Shut up you ungrateful piece of shit.

Cool. It's funny that when you criticize here something, you usually are attacked by dev's ass-licking fanboys (usually Betatesters and Moderators) with response like above... ^^

Pity that theres no contact with developers on this forum. I haven't seen any explanations from dev side why the last release is so buggged and when it will be fixed...  ::)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 06-08-2013, 18:08:57 »
If everything is coded in a simple way with notepad, then why don't you apply for the dev team and show what you can do, Mudzin. I took a look a into the material table and I can tell you that I would not claim to call this stuff easy and I would also not claim to be able to do this stuff on my own. Fact is, that a pretty big part of the community doesn't agree with some of the stuff that was introduced with 2.45 release, mainly the tanking system and the randomness of the game. There was messed up something in 2.45 and that's the only thing that the player notices and what concerns the player. PaK bug and bike bug being one of those things that people abuse everyday or notice from the recieving end.

We got a bunch of pretty nice maps with 2.45, St. Vith being one of my favorites and some cool gamemodes and variation for different map sizes. I don't want to miss this stuff. *Someone* went a bit too far with the implementation of sector push on some maps, but well, overall Keren, St. Vith and Sidi bou are a very nice addition to the game. I like it to be able to play Americans on desert maps, and tbh Sidi Bou is a damn beautiful map, that plays really smooth for most of the matches and offers some interesting gameplay.

@Thorondor: I can understand your frustration, but your last post is certainly not the right way to go, especialy for you as a forum moderator who should have a exemplary function.
« Last Edit: 06-08-2013, 18:08:16 by 5hitm4k3r »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 06-08-2013, 18:08:27 »
Quote from: Mudzin on 06-08-2013, 17:08:10
Cool. It's funny that when you criticize here something, you usually are attacked by dev's ass-licking fanboys (usually Betatesters and Moderators) with response like above... ^^

I agree with you that it isn't a nice reply, but your posts aren't very eloquent either:
Quote from: Mudzin on 06-08-2013, 17:08:11
What a bullshit! Everything is coded in a fucking, simple notepad, no big problematic program...

Also, this is turning into a Catch 22 thread quite fast, so it would be nice if it could be on topic again.
« Last Edit: 07-08-2013, 17:08:50 by Slayer »

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #89 on: 06-08-2013, 18:08:48 »
Dear Slayer,

the spelling of humo(u)r is subject to BE or AE. If you wish to be that exact. You will note that the core of my post went unaltered, I merely removed some of the sharpness and irony that you seem to find so hard to deal with. It is your choice, how much of a personal feud you intend to make this. Do not try to insinuate that I would change the main content of my posts - for I did not.

Back on topic:
Thorondor, there is no need for that sharpness. If Mudzin choses that tone, then let him. There is no need for you guys to justify yourselves that way.

The point why we are still here is to make the Devs see that there is interest in or encouragement for them to keep working on the mod. If we were indifferent, noone would post here. Is there a way the community may help in bringing the next release on track, then let us know.

Many players and, as I have heard, some beta testers, are wondering because the Devs have fallen silent on the subject of further development. So it is a good thing Lightning has given us some input here. Would it be not possible to incorporate player's ideas into the modding process some more? Be it by poll over main gameplay questions or some other measure of your choice.

« Last Edit: 06-08-2013, 18:08:25 by x4fun ODIUM »
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I