Author Topic: The faces of the the Forgotten Hope Community!  (Read 94869 times)

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: The faces of the the Forgotten Hope Community!
« Reply #525 on: 22-02-2010, 20:02:48 »
I dont remember my first glasses, all i know is that i was wearing them on my third birthdayparty when i look at old pictures, so yeah, my eyes have sucked as long as i remember. Sometimes i wonder how the world would look without them :p

Maybe, one day, i will lazer them, its just that becouse i only have 1 good eye that i am a bit afraid, if they screw up, i am fucked. No second chance.

EDIT: congrats Tedacious, i wish i had your eyes... :)

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #526 on: 22-02-2010, 21:02:14 »
I've never worn glasses, I'm one of the lucky ones to be able to distinguish these letters (12 points size) from across the room (approx 4 meters).

hell, i can't even do that with glasses!

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 23-02-2010, 04:02:48 »
6 inches from the screen and 12pt starts to blur, 9 and I can't read a thing.

God, I have worse eyesight than VM apparently.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 23-02-2010, 04:02:30 »
Me eye-sight is terrible too..... what is with this generation and bad eyes?  :o My vision really scares me.. it is constantly degrading at an alarming rate...I really hope maybe once it stops declining it might be able to be cured with Lasik?

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 23-02-2010, 04:02:56 »
Ugh, I'd never do Lasik...I look strange now to myself and others if I'm without my glasses x3

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 23-02-2010, 04:02:50 »
Ugh, I'd never do Lasik...I look strange now to myself and others if I'm without my glasses x3
I just hate relying on glasses... they're so clumsy especially when my vision is so bad.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 23-02-2010, 04:02:17 »
Eh, true....  My main problem is that with reenacting, its a bitch keeping them steady, and they tend to fog up like mad from all the heat and sweating x3

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 23-02-2010, 04:02:01 »
Here's a (real) pic of me being scary for the camera last Halloween. I organized and built a full-fledged haunted house and this was taken during a lull in the crowds.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 23-02-2010, 04:02:13 »
Eh, true....  My main problem is that with reenacting, its a bitch keeping them steady, and they tend to fog up like mad from all the heat and sweating x3

Exactly, not to mention it's impossible to go out while it's raining and still being able to see. I'm generally a very physically active and often break my glasses.. :-\ but then i'm basically blind to the point of it being fustrating for a week or so until my new glasses come in...

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 23-02-2010, 05:02:04 »
Eh, uh, VM, about that fog. I have a solution.

Step one, put a dab of toothpaste on your finger and rub it all over the lenses. Rub it in really well. This has two purposes, it scours the lens clean due to the particulates in the toothpaste and it removes any oils that may have been used to ship the glasses (water wouldn't remove the oil, and oil would interfere with step two). You should only have to do this once, and of course you'll want to rinse the toothpaste off very thoroughly (perhaps get a narrow head toothbrush), but some dried toothpaste may still remain in the cracks between frame and lens no matter what you do, so you may want to do this to a separate pair of glasses.

Step two, before each battle spit on the inside of each lens and smear it all over the surface, then lightly rinse it off with water. This serves the purpose of putting concentrations of moisture on your glasses. This will prevent your glasses from fogging up, though you may find it necessary to repeat every few hours.

Lets look at the "science" behind this. Condensation is caused when hot air comes in contact with a cold surface. Warm air can carry much more moisture than cold air, so when the air cools from the contact it deposits the water on the surface; look at a glass of cold water on a warm day; the outside is covered in condensation. Your glasses are in contact with the cooler exterior air and the warm, moist air from your breath and near your skin. The glasses are cooler, and so water condenses on the inside of the lens.

The action I described does not interrupt this process. However, lets look at what the problem really is. The infinitesimal droplets form in a layer over your glasses, which appears as fog. Their mass is too light in relation to the attraction to the glass, a hydrophilic material, and so they stay in place. Water is extremely hydrophilic, and so is strongly attracted to other water molecules (this is related to the molecular shape; I can explain later if you would like). I'm not sure exactly why, but spitting on your glasses leaves a film that facilitates the movement of water molecules. The water that would have formed dew migrates down this film and towards larger concentrations of water, forming drops large enough to fall off. This film is totally transparent; the opacity of the fogging is from the refraction caused by light passing through the hemispherical fog-droplets. The film is flat, and so light passes through with uniform refraction, and is not noticed.

This is actually a SCUBA diving trick. SCUBA masks are shipped with a layer of oil, hence the toothpaste. SCUBA divers always spit in their masks before each dive. Rinsing it out is the normal practice, but I have found that I fog up anyway, and so leave the spit on the lens, rubbed in thoroughly. The ocean is cold and there is a pocket of moist air trapped by the masks, so they tend to fog rather aggressively, but when I do not rinse it out I never suffer a fogging problem, and can still see very clearly.

They do sell defogging liquid, which does the same thing as spit, and you can buy it for ski goggles as well, but to be honest, nothing works nearly was well as the method I described. (this stuff actually works quite well, though; I use it for my ski goggles. I've never tested it with scuba gear, but I had the toothpaste and spit route.)

Don't trust me?
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: 23-02-2010, 05:02:26 »
Ok, I'll try it, thanks!

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 23-02-2010, 06:02:42 »
Here's a (real) pic of me being scary for the camera last Halloween. I organized and built a full-fledged haunted house and this was taken during a lull in the crowds.

Your wearing the best mask I have EVER seen! @_@
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: 23-02-2010, 06:02:32 »
Just tested it on mine, seems like toothpaste may be unnecessary for glasses. Your call.

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #538 on: 23-02-2010, 08:02:09 »
Just tested it on mine, seems like toothpaste may be unnecessary for glasses. Your call.
Thats what i do to my goggles when i go diving and it works better then any commercial alternative.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: 23-02-2010, 11:02:00 »
Well, when i go skiing i rub my sunblock lipstick on the inside of my skiinggoggles, then just give them a wipe with a clean cloth so i can see true them again and they wil never fog up, they even have a nice smell after it. On my glasses u just use a spray, keeps them ok for a few days if you dont touch the glass.