Author Topic: What if thread.  (Read 4057 times)

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
Re: What if thread.
« Reply #45 on: 22-02-2010, 14:02:13 »

a) I assume you mean Eastern Front, as that's where Kursk was.

Sry, typo I was thinking of two things at the same time and not proofing posts, I was going to say, if a Maus was static on the Western front guarding the Atlantic wall, and was also thinking about if the Germans had got their shit together and won Kursk how different the soviet union would/could be - I was also thinking about adding ridable wolves into the Kursk battle too...

I think RE: the Irish, the British would have simply laid naval siege to the whole country and starved it's resources.  However the impact that would have had on movements and blockades in the Med and in the North Atlantic might have been small, but enough to sway a certain battle into axis favour.  The IRA were supported by German office, but then any opposing fraction to allied forces would have been treated as a friend.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22-02-2010, 17:02:54 »

"What if the Irish joined the axis in full co-operation and Ireland became the left-pincer base for Operation Sealion"

b) They would have been bombed into submission by Britain within weeks

or, possibly...

think about it.  if the Republic could hold out for a few months, then the german army will have advanced through land over a great portion of England.  

they would have certainly have been pushed south, but once they reached the hilly and mountainous regions to the south, they could have dug in and held out long enough (regardless of naval shelling, which would slowly be phased out to protect the southeast) until the german army put enough pressure on the British army and they needed to pull out troops to reinforce the armies in the southeast.  
The british army wouldn't be so ridiculously pompous as to pursue the matter in ireland any further after encountering strongpoints of heavy resistance. They would have gone back into the main isle of britain to try to drive the better-equipped, better-trained germans that were in less defensible positions.  one must remember that Ireland is full of rolling plains as well, meaning a single machine gun could wipe out a large number of advancing troops. 

But that's just one of many scenarios that may have happened.  I doubt Ireland would ever join a nazi force.  

a) Sealion wasn't possible, under any circumstances. Look it up. (and 'but what if the Royal Navy didn't exist' is not a circumstance, because it did)
b) Your 'theory' would make sense if Britain would be fighting the armed forces of Germany on Ireland. But it wouldn't. You do realise that the Irish Army was TINY at the time of WWII, and very poorly equipped? This idea that they could engage in a fighting retreat is preposterous, given that frankly they wouldn't survive one large engagement.
c) The British Army being in Ireland (or, to be more precise, no more than maybe 3 divisions being in Ireland) does not automatically make Germany occupy a 'great amount of England'. Sealion would have failed under any circumstances, discounting of course a possible German invasion in 1948 after the defeat of the USSR or something - too many factors in play there to make the call. But from 1940-1944 (when Sealion was considered) it wasn't possible. Largely because of the navy, and Britain's GHQ line. 1970s wargames exercises concluded that the German plan was only sufficient enough to advance for a few weeks before the navy obliterated their supply lines and they ran out of momentum.

In short: no.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #47 on: 22-02-2010, 18:02:27 »
there was 'operation green' in 1937(9?) wasn't there, that was supposed to have been the invasion of Ireland as a secondary strategic launchpad to attack englands western industrial ports in time with Op Sealion, Liverpool was a ship building port for the navy afaik, however as Ireland basically had nothing to offer except a foothold or a beach to launch from the mission was scrapped as a waste of time.
« Last Edit: 22-02-2010, 18:02:36 by von.small »
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22-02-2010, 23:02:39 »
there was 'operation green' in 1937(9?) wasn't there, that was supposed to have been the invasion of Ireland as a secondary strategic launchpad to attack englands western industrial ports in time with Op Sealion, Liverpool was a ship building port for the navy afaik, however as Ireland basically had nothing to offer except a foothold or a beach to launch from the mission was scrapped as a waste of time.

I think it would have been succesful but probably Germany for that year wasnt prepared for a full scaled assault that could be answered immediately by the british.

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #49 on: 23-02-2010, 08:02:27 »
Operation green would have fallen prey to the Royal Navy just as Sealion would have.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 23-02-2010, 08:02:30 »
What if, the French Fleet would gather at Marseille, leaving small ships such as Destroyers in bases like Argel or Dakar, with the Big units such as the Strasbourg on safety. Now the Vichy France cooperates with the Nazi Germany or somehow, the French turns to Axis, and puts several Big vessels (Jean Beart, wich would be completed on Marseille) on the Mediterranean, joining up with the Italian Navy. What would happen to the RN?

Another

At the Beggining of the War in the Mediterranean, the Italian Navy had a large number of ships.

But they didnt exploited this adventage, what if they did that?

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #51 on: 23-02-2010, 09:02:02 »
Still the Royal Navy would win. You have to remember just how massive and advanced the Royal Navy was.
Also the Dominion Navies were still very much integrated with the RN at this point so you can add lots of Canadian ships into the equation.(This may seem inconsequential, but by the end of ww2 Canada had the worlds third Largest Navy.)
« Last Edit: 23-02-2010, 09:02:56 by [130.Pz]S.Tiemann »

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 24-02-2010, 00:02:00 »
Still the Royal Navy would win. You have to remember just how massive and advanced the Royal Navy was.
Also the Dominion Navies were still very much integrated with the RN at this point so you can add lots of Canadian ships into the equation.(This may seem inconsequential, but by the end of ww2 Canada had the worlds third Largest Navy.)

If that was the case Germany would have to invest a lot in aircraft with a war with England. More heavy bombers, sea bombers or even more submarines than ships to hunt down the pride of their navy. Airfields blown to pieces meant that ships couldnt get aerial support so close to the coast. And with their navy and air force decimated it would be only time for a full scale invasion.

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 24-02-2010, 02:02:18 »
What if the earth was flat @_@
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 24-02-2010, 02:02:16 »
What if the earth was flat @_@

Then wars will be just fought in a sheet of paper.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24-02-2010, 02:02:37 »
No, that doesn't make sense.  The earth would still have some thickness, duh.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #56 on: 24-02-2010, 02:02:40 »
no, it was flat, its still flat, and it always will be flat.  digging in soil?! HA! you're just crumpling the paper!

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 24-02-2010, 05:02:00 »
No, that doesn't make sense.  The earth would still have some thickness, duh.

Then we'll fought on a pile of paper.

Offline Zurich163

• View Profile

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 24-02-2010, 05:02:46 »
What if the earth was hollow...and we were on the inside!

Enough with the silliness though, about the Italian navy...

If that was the case Germany would have to invest a lot in aircraft with a war with England. More heavy bombers, sea bombers or even more submarines than ships to hunt down the pride of their navy. Airfields blown to pieces meant that ships couldnt get aerial support so close to the coast. And with their navy and air force decimated it would be only time for a full scale invasion.

If Germany could do this, why wouldn't they have won the Battle of Britain. I don't think Germany had a large enough aircraft industry to defeat the RAF and the RN.

Besides, even if the Italians could stymie the British the Atlantic fleet of the USN was very large as well.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER