Author Topic: FH 2.46 First Impressions  (Read 5925 times)

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: FH 2.46 First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: 12-04-2014, 18:04:08 »
Haven't had a chance to play the new maps yet, but that just gives me something to looks forward to!
Loving the additions to the airplane hud, as well as the updated tanking.

Only thing I noticed about that was that on Gazala I took three hits without noticing because there seemed to be no audible effects of the shots striking, and I only saw the damage when I checked my health. Armor hits were very noticeable in 2.45. Did that change, or perhaps the sounds of battle were just to loud for me to notice?

Also it seems like there's more smoke discharged from the tank's gun after firing now. Maybe I just never noticed it before, but either way it looks very nice!
I think the BF2 engine is only able to play a certain amount of sounds effects at the same time. So in close area with lots of action around you, some effects might not appear. It should prioritize the effects of course and play those near you first, but you never know with the BF2 engine.

The smoke effects from firing the main gun is now visible in 1p view. Earlier it was just visible from 3p. This change now makes it more realistic and a bit harder for tankers. I think the AA and AT guns do not show smoke in 1p, to give them a small bit of advantage and so make them more useful.
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12-04-2014, 19:04:32 »
They cannot be turned off now with the ALT key. Even if they could, turning it off or using the immersive HUD option only gives you a disadvantage over the other players who have it on.
They can be turned off, but not with the left ALT key indeed (it was changed to avoid people switching their 3D map off by mistake) If you have clean install, you need to remap the key for that in controls menu. It's easy as that! It has nothing to do with the immersive HUD ;)
Wait, Jan, you actually read changelog posts? :-*

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12-04-2014, 19:04:33 »
The only quirks I noticed were that the Springfield 1903 and G41 rifles had a strange sound.  It had sort of a crackley echo.  It is hard to describe.  They just sound a bit odd.  I suppose it could just be on my end, but, all of the other weapons sounded fine.  I have a Creative X-FI Xtreme Music sound card.  In the game I use Hardware audio on High.

Also I believe I prefered the old Thompson sound better.  But it's not terrible.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12-04-2014, 19:04:06 »
Only thing I noticed about that was that on Gazala I took three hits without noticing because there seemed to be no audible effects of the shots striking, and I only saw the damage when I checked my health. Armor hits were very noticeable in 2.45. Did that change, or perhaps the sounds of battle were just to loud for me to notice?

Also it seems like there's more smoke discharged from the tank's gun after firing now. Maybe I just never noticed it before, but either way it looks very nice!
Sounds of battle were too loud probably, there is a clear sound of a bounce like it used to be in 2.45. About the smoke, yes, there is more smoke. It was always there, but for one reason it wasn't visible in 1st person in 2.45.

Wait, jan, are you saying they actually stick to objects now? If it's true that's awesome! (and it's what I suggested a long long long time ago)
The change with orders' 3D map icons is that they are visible now, but there is no more vBF2 colour smoke marker which was misleading and was blocking players' view on many occassions. In 2.45 the only visible 3D map icon was the white text showing the distance between you and order, now you can clearly see icons which in 2.45 were only visible on the minimap. It is possible to stick the order with specific object, because 3D map icons appear about 1m above the exact place you spotted, no matter is it a wall or anything else (smoke markers always landed on the ground or other flat surfaces (sometimes on the roofs) so in the end, your order wasn't as accurate as expected) so, for example you can now aim at the enemy in the window, press "T", choose "ATTACK" and there will be characteristic sword icon over this window, so your squad members will see exact place to attack (it's impossible to give orders that accurate via map). Unfortunately, because of engine limitations, it only applies to static objects, icons can't follow vehicles, so giving an order to destroy enemy tank will not show you this tank as an moving hammer icon in game. Still a huge improvement IMO.

Wait, Jan, you actually read changelog posts? :-*
I know the changelog by heart Gavrant, I thought you know that ;)

The only quirks I noticed were that the Springfield 1903 and G41 rifles had a strange sound.  It had sort of a crackley echo.  It is hard to describe.  They just sound a bit odd.  I suppose it could just be on my end, but, all of the other weapons sounded fine.  I have a Creative X-FI Xtreme Music sound card.  In the game I use Hardware audio on High.

Also I believe I prefered the old Thompson sound better.  But it's not terrible.
but sound were not changed in 2.46?  ???
« Last Edit: 12-04-2014, 19:04:45 by jan_kurator »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12-04-2014, 19:04:25 »
I only tried Gold Beach and Sidi Bou Zid so far.

I have to say that I like it very much. Haven't played FH2 for a very long time, and now it is like meeting an old friend. All the good stuff is still there.

Gold Beach is pretty hard for the allies. I played it three times, twice as British and once as German. The Allied lost all of the matches. The reason is pretty simple, the defender got better position. Even the bots can mow down many human players with ease from bunkers, emplaced lafettes. Oh and the Churchill funnies are awesome! I haven't tried to AVRE, all the bots are into it, and flattening everything they could see. It seems that the bots doesn't know how to knock down the wall. I hopped into the Crocs several times. The bocage terrain is quite annoying, since bots can see through hedges and overgrowth, wish that the Crocs can burn all the bushes.

SP wise, there is a huge improvement. The airplanes are now pretty annoying, the AA bots now do their job properly as well. The bots are more coordinated in their attack (although they are still bots anyway). They can overwhelm human players with unexpected furor, when foot soldiers aren't enough, they'll bring vehicles in their next attack. Eventually it got overrun, despite all my rambo efforts.

Offline Officer_Dufus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12-04-2014, 19:04:14 »
I don't know.  Maybe I haven't played since 2.44 then.

Actually the Thompson sounds fine.  It may just be an audio thing on my end.  I was getting some of the same crackly echos on an Italian map with birds and the Carcano.

I was also wearing my ear phones at the time as well.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12-04-2014, 22:04:45 »
So since the servers are filled to the max right now :D I'll take some time to post some feedback from my short time playing today.

New Commo Rose
I really like it, it's more compact, seems less in the way when you bring it up and the design is more intuitive. Once I get used to where all the commands are I feel like it's gonna be much easier to use. After using it for a while I wouldn't mind if the font was a bit smaller and more clean (helvetica maybe? :P) but it's certainly an improvement over what we had.

Artillery Spotting
I like the improvements on this too. It even tells you when the spot wasn't received which I didn't think it did before. For me personally seeing the red HE markers on the map helps. I wont spot a position if there's already a marker there and ill look for something better instead.
The only problem I seem to have is if I hit the spot for smoke or spot for HE buttons. They don't spot anything. Do I have to right click the spot symbol to spot smoke?

Plane Instruments
I never usually fly so this isn't a huge deal for me. Personally I like the idea of adding instruments because BF2 doesn't support them on the 3D cockpit. But I also feel like the instruments block the amazing cockpit models the devs have made. The cockpits are beautiful and personally I'd rather have no instruments and see the cockpit than have them at all. Horst seems to like them tho and he flys 24/7 so I guess keeping them outweighs the problem of them blocking the beautiful cockpit models. :P

New Squad Names
Love it :) Able, Baker etc.. brings some easily added immersion to the mod. Thanks for whoever found out how to do this.

New Maps
I'll post more detailed feedback on these in the Feedback section. I've only played them twice so far so nobody has a educated idea of balance issues yet. In terms of looks and feel tho... A. FUCKING. MAZING.
Gold beach is beautiful. The swampy hill areas just ahead of the beach are wonderfully done. This seems like it'll be a fun map for years to come.
Omaha... TS (and whoever helped with tis along the way) this is one of the best mapping efforts I've seen in a long time. The FEEL of the assault. The realistic layout. The FW flyover 8) EPIC AS FUCK are the only words I have to describe it. With a few tweaks this could easily become one of the best maps in FH2. The only time my fps dropped was in the midst of 128 people all throwing smoke under MG fire 8) 

Also I noticed that some limited kits. On both the US and german side, don't say limited, but are limited when you choose them (says not enough available) like the US recon kit. I'll also post this in the feedback thread tho.

New AT rifle sounds
Thank God you changed those, :) well done.

quick note: The Breda 30 sprinting animation, it seems very jittery to me. I don't think it was my fps, it was very jostling. may wanna look into that?

Great release so far devs. Can't wait till I can squeeze in on 762 and rush the beaches again.     

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12-04-2014, 22:04:36 »
Artillery Spotting
The only problem I seem to have is if I hit the spot for smoke or spot for HE buttons. They don't spot anything. Do I have to right click the spot symbol to spot smoke?
The smoke and HE buttons are actually "mode switches" or checkboxes. That is, clicking on "Spot smoke" means that everything you will spot after that will be marked with the smoke icon. I know, it's confusing a bit.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12-04-2014, 23:04:13 »
Artillery Spotting
The smoke and HE buttons are actually "mode switches" or checkboxes. That is, clicking on "Spot smoke" means that everything you will spot after that will be marked with the smoke icon. I know, it's confusing a bit.
maybe we can add some indicator to make it more clear?

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12-04-2014, 23:04:50 »
Did 762 just disappear?
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12-04-2014, 23:04:29 »
nope, it's there

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13-04-2014, 02:04:50 »

Ahhhh I get it now :D yea that wasn't too clear before. Maybe there's a way to make it known that that's the idea.

Offline Lonewolf051

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13-04-2014, 02:04:17 »

The G41w, all I can say is I found a new friend, the reloading by Chad509 is amazing. However, there is one small visual error in the reload when the soldier pushes down the first clip onto the next. Not bad accuracy and range for this gun. I like it!

How is that an error, thats how it loads, ie. 2 stripper clips into the mag to get 10 rounds...same procedure as the G43, Enfield and SVT 4O systems. But yes it is a great addition to the game!
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ, and the American soldier, one died for your soul, and the other, for your freedom" - Col. Grant L. Rosensteel Jr. USAF

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13-04-2014, 02:04:49 »
Haven't tried too much long range engagement yet but I think I can give credit for the tank system so far. 2.4 is finally back! ;D

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13-04-2014, 19:04:15 »
Is it just me or does the 2.46 crash much more frequently than 2.45? On 2.45, I CTD'd maybe once a month, now it happens once a round.