Author Topic: what if commander can give coordinates to indirect fire by radio?  (Read 4348 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
A few commander ideas i have:

1. Using the auto plane code from ramelle and depending on the map,
He could call in fighter-bomber, medium, even heavy bomber runs, or in major battles, he may have a mixture of choices. Heavy bombing is wide area, medium is closer range and fighter-bomber is commander-arty range. These are the most special of assets and range from just once, to at most 3 times, depending on which the map has.

He can also call in an auto-plane scout plane with the radar effect of live planes. This he can do more regularly.

Artillery of varying kinds. From varying naval artillery (in some maps that had them, rather than occupy-able ships or turrets, the visible ship fires on commander order only),

offmap core
artillery (but these should fire larger shells than on-map arty - im talking hu-uge explosions, tiger-tank flippers),

offmap arty (current offmap arty barrage including rocket barrage when available),

mortar barrage (but not the cartoony one we have now, it should look like ingame manned arty and sound like it)

Also, the commander shouldnt have a blocked tactical commo-rose. He should have the same as squad leaders without the 'attack-here' option. He should ae able to radio, not shout. Lets face it, he cant sit at a radio all game. Thats just boring

Also i think the commander, while sitting @ the radio, should see all spots from his team, including that from spotter planes. But these enemy spots should last longer than for others so he gets situational awareness and can make tactical decisions or counter enemy commander tactics.

Also, more commander radios in maps

Offline Potilas

• View Profile
I counted 2 supporting post so far. Not a huge succes, but not fail either. So, lets not bury this tread yet 8) Most of ppl have their own opinion how they like commander role improved and thats cool. I like to have direct reply also how you see this commander feature. Good, bad, imba, useless, pointess, pls no... just mention a few examples what kind of feedback I personally like to hear. Please discuss.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Sorry, dont know Pr arty system, but i thought i added to your arty-system ifa for the commander to not only give him more to ure, but a more tactical role and freedom to use it?

Offline Potilas

• View Profile
Sorry, dont know Pr arty system, but i thought i added to your arty-system ifa for the commander to not only give him more to ure, but a more tactical role and freedom to use it?

Detailed explaining takes all day. Watch the vid mate. It takes 90 sec to get the whole point. http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f196-pr-highlights/86805-deployable-mortars-update-tutorial.html

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
Using the auto plane code from ramelle and depending on the map,
He could call in fighter-bomber, medium, even heavy bomber runs, or in major battles, he may have a mixture of choices. Heavy bombing is wide area, medium is closer range and fighter-bomber is commander-arty range. These are the most special of assets and range from just once, to at most 3 times, depending on which the map has.

He can also call in an auto-plane scout plane with the radar effect of live planes. This he can do more regularly.
The planes on Ramelle are entirely illusions of scripts.  The P51s are vehicles that move forward constantly without being effected by gravity, and Otolikos painstakingly timed their appearance so that he could spawn the explosions in the righ place at the right time.

The scout planes can't work on the UAV code, because there is only one model available for both teams.  Might be possible with a lot of python though to do something similar.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
The scout plane will be on rails like the p51, wont use the uav code, but the radar of the current scout plane

Theres no way to get the bomber plane to drop a bomb @ the spot once its been set?

But lets focus on commander mortar

Oh, and i can only fon browse, so youtube is out of the question :-(

Offline KurtisMayer

• View Profile
uhm, call havy bomber ride?

that remember me FH1 there was some kit that alow you to cal three stuka or a B-17!

or the glider that become a mobile spawn point (FH1 some market garden or normandy maps)

I would like to call Heavy barriage fire from battleship in point du hoc!!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Well, thats technically what the arty already in that map is. Devs havent made ships or coded that sorta thing is all

Offline Sparks

• View Profile

Just so you can read it once more.

Yeah, its a pity when you can't think of anything original yourself eh??

Wimp.
« Last Edit: 11-10-2010, 09:10:19 by Sparks »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
while the squad should move tactically, the commander deals with over-all strategy.

He is not an auxillary force, but the one who sees the larger picture.

His game is thus to be seen in plan view aloft in a scout plane or on a map in his hq.

He plans the play for the army, keeps squads following HIs plan, booting out rebels etc, and supporting the attack or defense with strategic assets:

/Arty of varying kinds
/Strategic air support
/Supplies - needs a plane to fly over to drop it though
/Smoke barrage
/Perhaps later, timed-fuse barrage which explode flak in the air above the target... Maybe

It would help if soldiers carried less ammo so that such things as ammo boxes would be a real relief to see.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
I think a spotter-plane that works like the UAV from PR would be cool. A slow flying Piper for example that doesn't uncover enemies on the map, but that would give the commander a birds eye view of a part of the frontline. Perhaps it could indestructible or at least have an ass full of HP in order to force the enemy to decide whether he wants to waste time in taking the plane down or continue fighting.

This would make me want to play commander every time ^^

Edit: Make the plane fly at one height and with a constant (believably low) speed so the commander just has to use his arrow keys to steer left and right.
« Last Edit: 11-10-2010, 10:10:28 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
I think a spotter-plane that works like the UAV from PR would be cool. A slow flying Piper for example that doesn't uncover enemies on the map, but that would give the commander a birds eye view of a part of the frontline. Perhaps it could indestructible or at least have an ass full of HP in order to force the enemy to decide whether he wants to waste time in taking the plane down or continue fighting.

This would make me want to play commander every time ^^

Did the flying piper will be remote controled or it will be human controled?
Because if it's remote controled, I think the piper like UAV from PR and Piper like we have now will be cool. Both of them.
The reason why I say we need both of them it's because the UAV type is for the commander, but the other it's for the soldier on the field. When I play, I use the indication from the piper.
« Last Edit: 11-10-2010, 10:10:47 by Alakazou »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
I would be for both versions as well. The player spotter has the spot function while the spotter for the commander would not have the automatic 'radar'.

As I said in my edit:
Edit: Make the plane fly at one height and with a constant (believably low) speed so the commander just has to use his arrow keys to steer left and right.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
And THAT's how we get the commander to call in airstrikes!

Remote planes, not auto-planes :-)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Theres no way to get the bomber plane to drop a bomb @ the spot once its been set?
I don't think so. Also, the bombing raids you want can maybe be implemented as commander offmap arty, just in a different form. I don't believe it is the right way to go when FH is gonna do automatic planes on rails. Let's keep vehicles 99,9% human controlled, please.

This doesn't mean I'm against pimping the commander role. Right now I just go commander when I want to have a break on a long night of gaming.